Matt Monro - The George Martin Years CD (& appreciation thread) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vzok, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Blackhawk31

Blackhawk31 Well-Known Member

Hi Richard, the 1964 Saturday Club is the one broadcast on March 7th. Matt's songs are Happy Am I, and From Russia With Love. Both session recordings rather than from record (as some songs played were).

adriatikfan likes this.
  2. Thank you!
    David

3. Blackhawk31

EDIT: Richard, I've just listened to the show for the first time in a while and the tracks are as you suggest, 'Let Me Sing And I'm Happy', and 'From Russia With Love'. I took the title 'Happy Am I' off the track listing on the CD-R which is obviously wrong!

4. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

I know the show as the estate have this one too (along with all the TOTP). Always looking for anything new, although songs we haven't got date from pre 1964 (I have a complete listing from BBC archives of all the songs Matt sang on Saturday Club from the original show listings which are preserved at BBC Written Archives - Everything he recorded for Sat Club from mid 64 onwards was issued on TOTP). Thank goodness Bernie Andrews kept so many songs (see Heart of The Man!) but there are still a lot that have never been heard of since, that weren't recorded anywhere else.

Richard

Blackhawk31 and adriatikfan like this.
  5. Blackhawk31

Hi Richard, still working my way through this thread. The above is from post no.40. It was me who sent you this acetate for you to copy/restore for me. I was wondering if you had any plans for a future release featuring it and great that you've located the tape. If it ever comes to pass, a little nod by way of a cover notes thanks would be nice. Always wanted to be in print on a cd! I remember you mentioning that you'd made a copy for Michele. Did you ever get any feedback? This newly found version needs to be shared with the world and I'm very proud of that find (and of finding you to share it with).

Steve.

adriatikfan likes this.
  6. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Hi Steve,

Always like to give credit where possible, although at the moment, with no interest from Warner in a future releases I don't know where that would be. Wish i'd known about it before Alternate!

7. Richard - is making the track available to purchase as a download a viable option?

Best Wishes,
    David

8. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Nothing can be done without Warner.

voles likes this.
  9. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

By the way, Michele says thanks. Unfortunately alternate takes/mixes (even mono vs stereo) mean very little to her personally due to her M.S. which makes it hard for her to process differences, so she has to leave that sort of thing to me. She's delighted to have a copy for the archive though.

10. Sounds like the title of a forgotten B-Movie!

Maddening though - there's no excuse in the modern world for witholding approval/support/licensing of artists' material. The market may be small or 'niche' but there is a market.

If the large labels don't adapt, they *will* go under.

Best Wishes,
    David

11. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

They aren't withholding the recordings, they just have no desire to look to deeply into their catalogues, but at the same time charge ridiculous amounts to license material they don't want to release themselves - and therefore nobody gets anywhere. Universal are the same. Sony can be more reasonable depending on what you want to license.

adriatikfan likes this.
  12. Just received an almost new second-hand copy of the twofer 'Walk Away' and 'Invitation To The Movies'.

Looking forward to some quality listening time tomorrow.

Best Wishes,
    David

RMoore likes this.
  13. First impressions: I really like the 'flow' of both albums, with 'Walk Away' sounding slightly more coherent than 'Invitation To The Movies'

I think it's an often under-appreciated and under-estimated skill in choosing the correct order of tracks for an album to lead the listener through the material. Whoever was responsible for 'Walk Away' got it just right.

Best Wishes,
    David

14. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

For someone looking to buy Matt's CDs for the first time but baffled with the different compilations out there, which ones are best recommended at this point in time? I have scoured through threads but realize many are out of print. Thanks in advance!

RSteven likes this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Matt Monro's The Singer's Singer is a four CD box set collection in great remastered sound that has 101 songs on it. The perfect place to start. It is also quite cheap as I recall. I also love The Collection as it has his later discovered great version of Yesterday When I Was Young as well as some of his greatest hits. I would start with those two collections and the first box set really has all his essential recordings, including his fantastic version of My Kind Of Girl.

16. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

I echo RSteven about Singer's Singer. Just make sure you pick up the fully remastered 2011 edition that comes in the clam shell case not the 2001 long box edition with fairly ropey mastering.

Andy Dursin and RSteven like this.
  17. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Oh by the way. In talks for a potential new release at the moment.

ggjjr, RSteven, vzok and 1 other person like this.
  18. Now that's a really good piece of news!

I hope things go well for you all in the discussions.

Best Wishes,
    David

RSteven likes this.
  19. vzok

vzok Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any tiny clues you can give?

20. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Not much. It's slow progress but will involve Capitol material and hopefully something not heard before.

Simon A, vzok, adriatikfan and 2 others like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'd like to hear some more things with just voice and piano or voice and guitar. A trio would be OK, but simple accompaniment is great.

22. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

How about a quartet (Piano, Bass, Drums, Guitar) - If I get my way then that's what it'll be!

There aren't many songs Matt recorded simply though. I don't know how many clean vocals could be found as Matt did tend to record live with the orchestra.

That's an interesting idea though. A sort of opposite to the "Big Orchestra" Elvis/Orbison/Beach boys idea. Matt's vocals with a trio.

Simon A, RSteven and adriatikfan like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's great. Did he do songs with just his pianist (or a guitarist or a trio/quartet) in concerts or clubs? If soundboard tapes exist, maybe a little collection could be put together.

24. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

He very rarely performed with anything less than 7/8 piece band. Often bigger. Unfortunately we don't have much soundboard wise, definitely nothing with just piano.

What does exist (and only found last year) is a collection of "Head Arrangement" (In other words not planned in great detail) recordings with a small group, made (we think) for a Winifred Atwell series on Radio Luxembourg. No plans for release of these as yet, but if the right project were to come along..........

Simon A, vzok and adriatikfan like this.
  25. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Which one is that and is YWIWY available elsewhere?