McCartney Album "NEW" (2013) - (pt15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think I will get first post for once.

I wonder how many views the Queenie Eye video will get?

jlf, alexpop, JDeanB and 1 other person like this.
  3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Do we actually know where this landed on the charts yet?

theMess likes this.
  4. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

almost first - damn... anyway - Queenie Eye vid looks like it will be fun. Can't wait.

Allen Michael and theMess like this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that it is the best chance he has had of a hit in decades.

linclink likes this.
  6. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

Looking forward to the video!! Mixed up things today listened to something other than New and started having those songs and melodies run through my head!!

theMess likes this.
  7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

So the video is coming out till Thursday ?

8. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

The final total will be available tomorrow afternoon.

9. tosaguy

tosaguy Active Member

I'm definitely not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I think I need to find a support group. I've suddenly gone from being one of the world's biggest McCartney fans to having absolutely zero excitement for anything related to "New." I feel bad because I simply don't understand the critical acclaim for what I hear as Paul's weakest album of all time with regard to songwriting, performances, and overall recording quality. I honestly wish this weren't the case, and the only reason I'm posting is because I want to know: am I alone??? (add echo for full effect)

Huck Caton and Mazzy like this.
  10. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

You are probably not alone but certainly in the minority. I believe NEW is one of his best albums. The quality of the songs goes deeper than previous albums. He is a master tunesmith! There is no-one else like him.

bru87tr, theMess, Eska68 and 6 others like this.
  11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I haven't liked a McCartney studio album since Broadstreet. I love this one. I guess you got used to liking what I consider his crap records for too long and don't know to handle what I consider a good one showing up after all these years. Not questioning your likes or dislikes, just showing you this album appeals to people like me and not you.

:shrug:

Allen Michael likes this.
  12. You are not alone. Myself and two of my friends who are on these boards totally agree with you. I played one friend NEW and electric arguments last night. He was cringing at some of the songs on NEW. They were bad especially the lyrics but he loved almost ever track on EA. He is a musician and disliked the production of New as if it was all processed through an audio version of a photo shop filter. But he liked the sound and recording of EA. I strongly agree. But you are correct. We seem to be in the minority here.

Huck Caton likes this.
  13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm enjoying this one more as a whole than the last few releases. Nice compilation of songs and producers.

14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm not sure why anyone would think this at this point. It was released to radio almost 2 weeks ago and has made no impression on any airplay chart, where New made an appearance almost instantly after it was released on both AC and Triple A charts. While New has been only a modest success as a single, it's still at # 20 and #25 on AC and Triple A, respectively, and still gaining spins on AC. Queenie Eye is nowhere to be found. I've spent some time poking around radio stations' playlists posted online, and can find almost no sign of anyone playing it except WXPN in Philadelphia. Yes, a really good video can only help, and may give a boost to album sales, but the prospects of the video turning a flop single into a hit are not great.

Small update: KRSH-FM in Santa Rosa, California is also playing it, so now we have two confirmed sightings, airplay-wise.

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

1. Save Us (produced by Paul Epworth)
    2. Alligator (produced by Mark Ronson)
    3. On My Way to Work (produced by Giles Martin)
    4. Queenie Eye (produced by Paul Epworth)
    5. Early Days (produced by Ethan Johns)
    6. New (produced by Mark Ronson)
    7. Appreciate (produced by Giles Martin)
    8. Everybody Out There (produced by Giles Martin)
    9. Hosanna (produced by Ethan Johns)
    10. I Can Bet (produced by Giles Martin)
    11. Looking At Her (produced by Giles Martin)
    12. Road (produced by Giles Martin)

Which producer did the best job? I didn't realize the first 5 tracks feature all four producers at least once!

DmitriKaramazov and alexpop like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I cannot visualize a live performance of "Appreciate". It would be like "performing" "Revolution 9".

theMess and teebo911 like this.
  17. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

This record is a grower.

I am really not much of a fan of McCartney's work in the last 30 years, though I've listened to it all. During these past 3 decades I really only view two releases as essential, imo, and those are Flaming Pie and New. I've got melodies getting stuck in my head and I'm anxious to get home to hear certain tracks and that doesn't happen much with me, let alone with an artist I've been lukewarm towards for so long. Hats off to McCharmley!

18. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I'm with you. This album has been a devastating disappointment to me. Someone posted an earlier comment that it was plastic sounding. Totally agree. Pro-Tooled to death! And most of the songs are ordinary too.

Huck Caton likes this.
  19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm kinda in between. I love about half of it, but mostly the half that sounds the least processed and artificial: Early Days, On My Way to Work, etc. I'm not generally fond of a lot of the production, but there are plenty of songs that I love in spite of the production, including Save Us and Everybody Out There. Hosanna loses interest for me after about 2 minutes, but the only track I actively dislike is Looking at Her. I give the album a solid B+ and would rank it as a respectable piece of Paul's late-career artistic renaissance, but I don't quite get the folks treating it as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

20. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I've been listening to New for two weeks now and if any, it has gone backwards in my liking. I skip through most tracks now and have basically put it away on the shelf. It has, however, inspired me get reacquainted a few of his other albums (Ram, Chaos, Wild Life). I still love the man!

Huck Caton likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They all did well imo.

theMess likes this.
  22. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I gave just it under 3 stars after my initial few listens. I'd sadly rate it a 2 now. And you're right, there are a few songs that are strong enough to rise above the poor production for me to like but none are ever going to be more than just likeable.

Huck Caton likes this.
  23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I like them all. I was most surprised by Giles Martin. For some reason I expected a more conservative approach.

theMess, teebo911 and The Band like this.
  24. Lee

Lee Forum Resident

Banal lyrics, purchased beats, programmed synthesizer... and it fits in well with what all the kids want...yeah:(

Huck Caton likes this.
  25. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Queenie Eye is one of the few tracks I like but I don't see it as a single. The only track on the album I would remotely consider single-like is I Can Bet but even that song wouldn't garner much radio airplay in these times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.