McCartney Album "NEW" (2013) - (pt15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerard1961

Gerard1961 Member

theMess and fifth beatle99 like this.
  2. Gerard1961

Gerard1961 Member

Seltarb, bocaymon, speedway and 2 others like this.
  3. Gerard1961

Gerard1961 Member

4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

While we are making fun out of Paul's hair and botox, Pearl Jam fans are buying Pearl Jam's albums.

Frank, fifth beatle99 and Gerard1961 like this.
  5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I also had that thought about what John & George would have thought of it. I think he may be playing the same piano he played on Lady Madonna in 1968 on that track! It'll be interesting to hear Ringo's comments on this album for sure.

theMess likes this.
  6. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

yeah thank you. We had one guy a couple hours ago say that NEW was numbersix in Germany,, but I couldn't even find it in the top 20, so either he was mistaken or just full of bull. We get all these, almost like, vandals coming here now, it didin't used to be that way here. Its more malicious than it used to be. But I am so grateful for this website, great info, friends, music, debate. Thats a shame , maybe the push in Germany is next week, thats just too big a country to ignore. Germany buys lots of English speaking artists. Maybe the push goes to different countries over two or three weeks. Sometimes I wonder if McCartney's team is a bunch of inept people swilling his booze, cashing his checks, and chatting up at the local lounge instead of being hard boiled competent and getting the job done.

Gerard1961 likes this.
  7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

(one more time)

"She's good, she's kind, she's so refined....."

theMess likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t know you and what emotional state your in. The reason I thought you were upset was that you wrote somewhat aggresively about your issue IN BIG letters. Of course you can post whatever you like -be it irrelevant and bizzare comparisons with Cher(a different field of music than Maccas) or complete dilletante rubbish about marketing strategies. But you have to accept people arguing about the relevance of those negative rantings compared to actually discussing the music.

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

:kilroy:
    where "Mary Jane" is legal!!!

10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

OK, Tiger Beat.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Nov. 11 is his first concert since "New" came out. I look forward to seeing the setlist.

The Band, theMess and JDeanB like this.
  12. CALLING RECORD EXECUTIVES AND MARKETING EXPERTS TO THE FORUM!

There must be some in membership here, please comment on the changing marketing place in music, CD's, LP's, radio, subscriber stations, et all - especially as it applies to 'Baby Boomer" , classic rock artists. What is the landscape like, now, as opposed to how it was all those years ago.

We have had some good theories and ideas - perhaps they are 100% accurate - or not - let us know yor expertise and what you know about this.

I haven't heard this mentioned yet, my memory says that - The great album may not have started out with great sales, but over time the quality, word of mouth and reviews sell it later . ........IT'S THE NEXT ALBUM, AFTER THE GREAT ALBUM THAT SHOOTS OUT OF THE GATE BASED ON THE PREVIOUS ALBUMS SUCCESS.

See -Eagles Long Run After Hotel California, Tusk after Rumours, Down Left..... after Silk Degrees, etc, they may have been pretty good, but sold disproporionately higher than if they followed an average release. No?

Maybe that explains MAF's sales coming after C+C, New coming after Kisses?

13. fifth beatle99

I've gained a bit more respect for Looking at her. Parts of the production I can't stand,, some of the falsetto vocal, and mod production. But the sublime Guitar, the melody of the tune, some clever things, this is one where I wish I could play co producer and say no don't do that! but overall I'm beginning to like it a bit. Not my favorite, but I can live with it.

24 hours, no 21 hours and thirty minutes till the video, I'm gonna be in a bad mood all day, waiting on the video! I'm expecting Free As A Bird, and its probably more similar to Ever Present Past!

Does anybody around the world, have any news on chart positions or sales numbers for any additional countries, apparently he bombed in Germany in week one that hurts, but he managed number two in France thats oool.

I'm still ranking this album number three out of McCartney's 25 post Beatles studio albums of pop songs. But its very tight with Chaos and Flaming Pie, both those albums are great. I rate about 12 of the 25 as at least minor masterpieces, there are only four or five of his studio albums, I rank badly, even those have some good things about them.

theMess likes this.
  14. RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68 Forum Resident

I know you see Arctic Monkeys as the benchmark but Passenger are at #4...it's their 35th week!!!

theMess likes this.
  15. fifth beatle99

Long Road out of Eden was 33 years after Hotel California ! and 30 years after the Long Run their previous album it was 15 years after Hell Freezes over a live album with four new tracks! WHAT! thats ok, but maybe that's not the best example!

16. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

Lot's of interesting discussion on chart placement!
    From my point of view, I never expected a #1 placement in the charts, no matter how good I thought New was. I did expect it to make a Top 5 showing in America, so expectations met on that one (o.k. - maybe I'm a bit annoyed that Cher is taking it to Sir Paul in the all-important Mongolian market).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but McCartney's last U.S. #1 album was Tug of War, right? The work of a 40-year-old. His last U.S. #2 was Flaming Pie, the work of a 55-year-old. And age of the artist, unfortunately, is a HUGE factor in the pop charts. Make me a list of all the artists over 70 who have had a #1 album on their own without resorting to an unusual "gimmick" (ie -Duet albums from Ray Charles or Tony Bennett - teaming Robert Plant with Alison Krauss). How many over 50 artists have been able to do it? Eddie Vedder is in his late 40's, so Pearl Jam comes close.

It's a shame in a way. When I was a kid, my dad would have loved it if I listened to his Louis Armstrong or Duke Ellington records. It never happened. Now years later I have an extensive jazz collection. Dad would be pleased!

From a critical point of view, McCartney has done some of his best solo work over the past decade. When the final chapter of his career is written, that is something that will be remembered. Do I wish more people listened to some of his outstanding recent work? Absolutely! But I feel that way about a lot of people I listen to. Having been in the "world's greatest band," Paul fares better than many when it comes to getting attention. Articles, TV appearances, the cover of the upcoming Rolling Stone (how many other 70-year-olds have made the cover? Dylan?). When I was a teenager in the 70's, I never imagined I would still be enjoying new music from Paul McCartney in 2013. Everything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

17. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

Off subject I have heard the whole remaster of Live at the BBC and a few tracks from volume 2. The remastering is Incrediable. Only thing was there is a lot of clicks on volume 1. Just thought is give an update.

18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I know clips of it have been posted, but heres the full episode, I also don't know if this has been posted either, but its a fun interview. I especially like that they keep all the guests on the couch at the same time as opposed to most of the U.S. shows nowadays where there gone after their segment.

And I've never been a fan of Katy Perry's music, but I think I'm in love with her....also Natalie Portman has been a crush of mine for years :D

Seltarb and bocaymon like this.
  19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Many, many EU countries aren't in yet. Germany is still on the week before, I'm not sure how it can be that in 36 hours we will have the Dutch second week sales, while Germany isn't even on the first week sales for McCartney, but it seems true.

fifth beatle99 likes this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

She's currently being soiled by John Mayer if that helps get you over it.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great post !

theMess and fifth beatle99 like this.
  22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Ah, damn. You're right. Edited out my additional funnies.

alexpop likes this.
  23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It is interesting that we keep hearing that young folks don't buy music and the classic rock geezers are the ones scooping up CDs and LPs. Then Pearl Jam and Miley Cyrus outsell Paul.

Digital-G and fifth beatle99 like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

As far as archelogists have researched music in some form of another has existed all through mankinds history. In that perspective records, radio etc had existed à very short time. Right now albums, recordsales, distribution of music are changing in a rapid way. Me being an old dog miss the old timeswith recordshops etc. But it s gone all gone. That s the main reason I find the discussion of charts, sales etc irrelevant. If New is as good as I believe it is people will search for it and listen to Early days 50 years from now. In that context it really doesn t matter if the album sells this or that numbers. And I truly believe New is à complete Marvel of an album coming from an old man that doesn t owe us anything. Personally I believe making music is as important for Paul as breathing. He does it because he must not to complete with Cher or please us. I respect him for that and feel gratitude for the thing he give me with his music. Respect.

25. Gerard1961

Gerard1961 Member

Totally agree: poor marketing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.