McCartney and Bonham duet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Awesome.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks, wonder if Bonham passed the audition.

I am going to listen to some more of the Zeppelin catalog.

Hep Alien, theMess and Murph like this.
  4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It's even more unhinged than the live version from WOA (my favorite version).

5. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

It's like a mesh of Beware My Love and Achilles Last Stand. Interesting, and I had no idea their paths had crossed.

Sometimes I swear Paul downplays how cool he actually is :)

Brother Maynard and johnny q like this.
  6. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Good call on Achilles.

Actually Bonham and Paul crossed paths again recording the Rockestra Theme for Back to the Egg.

theMess likes this.
  7. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Bohnham was part of the whole Rockestra thing. I believe he is one of the drummers on the Rockestra song on Back to The Egg

supermd likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul was/is good friends with at least 3 of the 4 members of Led Zeppelin. Plant, Bonham, and John Paul Jones have all played with Paul. Only Jimmy was the exception.

Arnie

theMess and Murph like this.
  9. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

More than cool... you have to wonder how a personality like McCartney who famously drove Harrison, Henry McCullough, and numerous others mad with his studio perfectionism gets along on more than one occasion with a wildman like Bonham. But there it is... ok i've been waiting to hear this since this was announced a few months ago so I'm gonna click that link!!!!

theMess and Lost In The Flood like this.
  10. Can't wait to hear this...

Bonham is also on So glad to see you from BTTE

ampmods likes this.
  11. Murph

Yet Jimmy is the only one mentioned in one of Paul's songs!

12. But Jimmy gets name checked in Rock show. Go figure.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  13. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

Well I don't know the story with McCullough but I know Hugh McCracken who worked on Ram said when discussing his guitar solo on Too Many People:

"This song represented a breakthrough in our musical relationship," McCracken recalled. "Paul is a genius. He sees and hears everything he wants, and would give specific instructions to me and the drummer [Denny Seiwell]. But he didn't know what he wanted the guitar part to be like on this song. I asked him to trust me and he did. After I came up with the parts, he was very pleased. For the rest of the record, Paul let me try things out before making any suggestions."

So I would guess, as is always the case in life, that there are two sides to every story and all sorts of reasons why some people drive each other mad and others don't.

Anyway enjoyed this very much, looking forward to getting this next month.

fatoldsun, Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  14. Murph

Strange. I'm hearing The Four Tops!

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I recall seeing mention somewhere of Paul and Linda hanging out with Jimmy and his lady in the 70's Charlotte Martin, so really Macca was at least somewhat familiar with all four members of LZ.

Plus, we know George Harrison knew them as well. In fact, Jimmy Page has mentioned how George once told them Zeppelin was a good band but they didn't do any ballads, so Page quoted "Something" in the opening chords to "The Rain Song" on purpose. Then there's that story of Bonzo throwing George in a pool for his birthday (or vice versa, I can't recall).

fatoldsun, theMess and Murph like this.
  16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Paul played the solo on "Too Many People"... in one take actually. Hugh's quote above is talking about “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.”

fatoldsun, Hep Alien, theMess and 3 others like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm waiting for this to be posted directly under Steve Hoffman Music Forums at the top of each page. :laugh:

18. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Bonham is also rumored to be part of a "C Moon" jam session, happened on September 3rd, 1972. I think he was invited in the studio for "Beware My Love" when Joe Enghlish was not available for recording being in the US.

fatoldsun and Hep Alien like this.
  19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I actually like Joe's drums more than Bonham's on Beware My Love. Joe was a great drummer for Macca. Probably, the best one he played with for more than 1 night. He was fabulous on Wings Over America.

helter likes this.
  20. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yeah, that's definitely Bonham :)

oddly enough, and I don't know if there's just something up with YouTube at the moment, but I went there to listen to the original studio version and every upload I've found says "currently unavailable in your country." What the hell?

21. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Great clip! No offense to Denny, Geoff, Joe or Steve but I think Wings would have been a much more interesting band with Bonham on drums. Ringo was perfect for the Beatles but I think Wings could have used a heavy hitter.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Between 1968-1980 how many times did members of Zeppelin appear on other peoples album without using a fake name?

I think Page always used a fake name on a couple Roy Harper albums. John Paul Jones might be under his own regular name for the 2nd Jobriath album.

23. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction. I had thought that Paul played the solo too but when I saw the quote I posted in The Independent newspaper's obituary I thought I had it wrong, as the Independent is usually a pretty good source but obviously in this case they have made a mistake with the song title as they said he was talking about Too Many People.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...-worked-for-lennon-and-mccartney-8579183.html

theMess likes this.
  24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Wings had a heavy hitter, check out Wings Over America blu-ray!

Joe English is the best drummer McCartney's had since the Beatles!

helter and mrgroove01 like this.
  25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I had the good fortune of meeting Jason Bonham a few months back on a tv show I am working on, and he told me Paul and his dad were pretty tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.