McCartney and Ringo Grammy bound!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maccafan, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I like Abe as a drummer, and thought his drumming last night was better/more exciting than the drumming on the album (Is Abe playing on the album cut?)

They did a GREAT version of "Queenie Eye" on Jools Holland - and it SOUNDED much better then the mix from last night.

2. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I see that New is back to #40 at Amazon.

3. I think that Photograph was a tribute to both John and George. The photographs that were projected on the screen behind Ringo were mostly of John and George,

The Band, faboomer and theMess like this.
  4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

There was one audible drummer, and that drummer was Abe Laboriel Jr.

You know a lot of 73 year old long-time alcoholics that can move their arms with the same precision as when they were 30 year olds? There's no shame in it, and it certainly doesn't take away from what he's done in his career.

Why do you think he always - always - plays with a backup drummer?

There is one beneficiary to Ringo being less nimble in moving his arms - Barbara Bach

5. I agree with you. I watched Paul and Ringo's performance a number of times and Ringo was playing perfectly with the beat. He did no drum fills, but so what? We got to watch Paul and Ringo play together. When was the last time we saw that?

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

All I know was that it was great to see Ringo participating in a great live performance of the Beatlesque Queenie Eye, no matter how little he added.

Ringo has only ever played I Saw Her Standing There (a Beatles song), With A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles), Birthday (Beatles) and Cosmically Conscious (written during the Beatles era) live with Paul until now, and it was great treat to see him play on a genuinely new McCartney composition.

PhoffiFozz, heatherly, RickH and 2 others like this.
  7. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

Here is an even more specific link for the Feb. 9th web show, with a contest to win tickets to be there for the webcast!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01/12/cbs-news-50-years-later-the-beatles/

8. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I do not expect 73 year-old Ringo to do much at all. He plays on his albums, and does it beautifully. I am just asking why, in live settings, he has always played with two drummers - since about 1971. It may indeed just be the "I played with Jim Keltner and loved it" reason. But most of us have never wanted to see him play with Jim Keltner. We want to see him and only him.

Drumming is very physically taxing, so my next comparison may not be totally analogous: can we imaging Paul playing with another bassist?

Or, does Charlie Watts need another guy? Granted, the Stones have played a hell of a lot more...

I am not bashing the guy. I am one of his biggest fans. I just have that question.

The Band likes this.
  9. faboomer

When I saw Ringo and the All-Stars live a few years back, Ringo was the only drummer thru most of the show.ther percussion was provided by Sheila E. When RS went down stage to sing a few hits, Sheila E moved over from her timpalis and congas to the trap set. It was great . Not sure if drummer #2 was sick or just not there for the night/tour segment/whatever. Anyway, great solo drummer show.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  10. I had no idea how physically small Ringo was until he stood next to Paul last night. Paul is not physically large by any stretch of the imagination, but he looks really big next to Ringo.

theMess likes this.
  11. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Ugh. Agreed. The clips I've seen have been absolutely excruciating. Has it really come to THIS ?

12. faboomer

And an opportunity for some mild promotion for his new photographic book, from where those projected photos came. The Fabs never miss a chance to soft promote their projects in cool and subtle ways.
    "Here's one from our new album...over here." -George Harrison, 1964

ConnieGuitar and The Band like this.
  13. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Gee, I hope they do the song "Boys" tonight. Just because it seems that is what Ringo drums to no matter what song is actually being played.

Frank likes this.
  14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Yep. Spot on. I don't understand how people don't see how uniquely cool this is. While both George and John included Ringo's drumming on their projects, Paul has avoided it in general. It would be fun to have them record together in a kind of non-Beatle sort of way.

faboomer and theMess like this.
  15. faboomer

Did anyone else think of this while they were playing?? From the "Queenie Eye" children's rhyme we get 'O-U-T spells OUT." Now we know where Ringo got that great line for "Christmastime is here again..." Hmmmm. I always thought it was a 100% Ringoism. Wonder how Ringo felt about Paul using it in his song? It was a cool performance, no matter.

heatherly and theMess like this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sheila E was the only other drummer

Not really, Ringo played with Paul on Tug of War, Pipes of Peace, Give My Regards to Broad Street and Flaming Pie. To the extent Paul used Ringo on a smaller % of tracks than the others, it was in large part because Paul (a) plays drums himself, and (b) for long stretches of his career has had a working band with a drummer.

JimC and foxylady like this.
  17. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

The drumming in the album's version of "Queenie Eye" is by Paul Epworth and IMHO is way better than Abe performing it live.

PhoffiFozz, The Band and heatherly like this.
  18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Probably no different than Paul felt when Ringo covered Christmas Time Is Here Again on his Christmas album. Just because Ringo sang that line originally doesn't mean he came up with it. And now we know the O U T spells out line came from the children's game/rhyme. Indeed, it was a cool performance. Paul sounded quite good vocally (live one-offs are not his forte of late) and the band played and sang joyously. I'm sure they all felt good vibes having Ringo on board. Ron

PhoffiFozz, JDeanB, faboomer and 2 others like this.
  19. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Exactly, Paul himself played the drums when he didn't have a drummer in his band. After the Beatles, Paul never had Ringo on more than a song or two and any one album. John and George had him as their primary drummer on different occasions.

theMess likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think Plastic Ono Band was the only album by another Beatle where he was the primary drummer.

JimC and PhoffiFozz like this.
  21. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

No need to promote it, it's a limited edition book which has already sold out.

22. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

He's on a fairly long list of All Things Must Pass tracks and number of tracks on both the Living In The Material World and Cloud Nine albums. He was also on the Cold Turkey single.

theMess likes this.
  23. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I would love to have seen that All-Stars show with just Sheila E.!

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sheila E was the other drummer on both 2001 and 2003 tours. I am not sure 10 years later how accurate it is to say she was more a percussionist than a drummer. I do recall she was the sole drummer on some of the Greg Lake sung material (not surprising Ringo did not try to do Carl Palmer).

25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You don't know who is or who isn't a drummer here.

The Band likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.