McCartney's Flaming Pie CD Singles - Worth Seeking Out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

I'm on a PM kick lately, and while enjoying the "Flaming Pie" cd, I dug out my US cd single for "World Tonight". I really dig the 2 non-lp tracks on it, "Looking For You" and "I Love This House". I did some research, and there's some UK 2 part cd singles with some more exclusive tracks:

Young Boy CD #2 has "Broomstick" and "Atlantic Ocean"

World Tonight CD #1 has "Squid"

Beautiful Night CD #1 has "Love Come Tumbling Down"

Beautiful Night CD #2 has "Same Love"

For those that have heard them, what's the verdict on these 5 tracks? Grab all of them, or is there a dud or two in there?

Thanks for your help! - John

2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

VERY WORTH seeking out. I have all of them and they're worth every quid.

3. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I held off for years and never bothered with Oobu Joobu either. But after getting the Beautiful Night CDs I love OJ. "Same Love" and "Love Come Tumbling Down" are two of my favorite B-sides even if they're not ground-breaking.

Don't forget that a nice copy of the original "Beautiful Night" is embedded into OJ. Nice full version right from the vaults.

Worth it!! If you can get the double BN CD you may be able to save some money. I don't think I paid much for it at all.

Oh I should ad that "Squid" is a neat instrumental - maybe a bit slight but alright. "Atlantic Ocean" doesn't do much for me but it has a late 10cc sort of vibe. Nothing wrong with it. "Broomstick" is excellent, sort of bluesy. Wouldn't be out of place on Electric Arguments. "Love Mix" is embedded on one of the singles and I like that in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

4. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Is this a serious question? :)

Of course you need them.

5. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

.....dumdumdumdumdumdumDUMDUMDUMDUMDUMDM OOBU JOOBU, OOBU JOOBU, OOBU JOOBU, OOBU JOOBU.....:goodie:

Essential Naysayer.....

T.

6. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

The GUILTIEST. I LOVE this song - waaaaay more than I "should".

So damn catchy and fun. I've played this for several more modern pop fans and they dig it too.

The only part that's kinda tacky is the "love mix" part... shoulda been called "What's Going to Become of My Rainbow?"

So to answer the thread starter's question - YES.

All of them. Great stuff.

And if you haven't hunted down the "Off the Ground" singles, they are definitely worth it, too. Songs on there are as good or better than what's on the actual album.

Jeff

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Thanks, guys for all the responses. I figured as much, but wanted to avoid a "klunker" if there was one in the batch.

Listening to "A Love For You" from the In-Laws OST cd right now - LOVE that fuzz bass! Not a bad song, either...

8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

That sums up McCartney for me after about 1981. I pretty much universally prefer his B-sides over the actual albums.

9. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

that's gotta be some sweet pie for it to be flamin', I wonder whose it is? I guess he can afford it...is it true that the Japanese TOCP-53590 is the must own, at any price, CD version of this?

10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Indeed; swap the six b-sides from 'Hope Of Deliverance' and 'C'Mon People' for six tracks on 'Off The Ground' and you've got one of his better albums.

11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The Flaming Pie CD singles are definitely worth seeking out. It was a neat idea, one that perhaps would have been fun to see him continue to do, basically parting out outtakes as b-sides (and c-sides?) to singles, since he hasn't otherwise seemed much inclined to issue outtakes. Apparently "Return to Pepperland" nearly escaped as one of these b-sides. Here's the breakdown of previously unreleased b-sides and c-sides (tracks 2 & 3) of each single:

Young Boy #1
    -Looking For You (from the actual "Flaming Pie" sessions with Jeff Lynne and Ringo; not a great song, but probably better than "Really Love You" which made it onto the album)
    -Oobu Joobu Part 1 (includes "I Love This House", a decent upbeat mid-80's outtake from his sessions with David Foster)

(also note that the only US CD single issued, "The World Tonight", features the two above-mentioned bonus tracks from the first "Young Boy" UK CD single)

Young Boy #2
    -Broomstick (another actual "FP" outtake, with Steve Miller, and not bad)
    -OJ Part 2 (includes "Atlantic Ocean", another 80's reject from sessions with Phil Ramone, and pretty much deserving of staying in the vaults)

The World Tonight #1
    -OJ Part 3 (includes "Squid", an instrumental outtake that is a curiosity at best)

The World Tonight #2
    -OJ Part 4 (includes Paul's version of "Don't Break the Promise", sounds a bit like a demo, but not bad)

Beautiful Night #1
    -Love Come Tumbling Down (and 80's outtake from the Ramone sessions, and while sounding very "80's", it's not too bad)
    -OJ Part 5 (includes the original '87 version of "Beautiful Night", which is interesting)

Beautiful Night #2
    -Same Love (an 80's outtake, rather overproduced and sappy, but still not too bad)
    -OJ Part 6 (includes "Love Mix", from the 80's, which again sounds very 80's production-wise, but is indeed very catchy; and the "Waiting for the Sun to Shine" bits date back to the mid 70's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.