McCormack Audio and Conrad-Johnson

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudiophilePhil, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

Are these audio brands own by one same company or are they entirely different manufacturers?

It seems to me their audio products are very similar in appearance.

2. michael w

michael w New Member

Conrad Johnson bought McCormack Audio and shifted McC to West Virginia where both lines are built in the same factory.

Don't know if Steve McCormack is still involved or not.

3. AudiophilePhil

Thanks Michael. That fact explains why their products particularly the solid-state power amps/preamps look very similar in appearance.

4. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Steve now has a new business going, does upgrades/mods on McCormack gear.

5. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I spoke to him some time back, via email, and it seems he is involved in the design/introduction of new models, too, at least last time we conversed.

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yup, designs for c-j and has his own mod business as well as new components: he just introduced a new preamp.

http://www.smcaudio.com/

John K.

7. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

Steve McCormack is on Audiogon, I think as a manufacturer. He was/is? selling his new products direct via Audiogon.

The more commonly known and respected older preamp and Amp equipment is still part of the previous deal and owned by CJ I think.

8. AudiophilePhil

I just found out that McCormack has designed and manufactured a high-end universal player and they named it the Conrad-Johnson Deluxe edition.

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The base player is the McCormack UDP-1 universal player. A deluxe edition, with upgraded caps and resistors, is available badged both as a McCormack Deluxe or the c-j version. The latter has a slightly different faceplate.

John K.

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

In the 90s, I had Steve upgrade a McCormack amp I use with my Maggie 3.5s. It's great,as is he. It was a pleasure working with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.