McCormack audio Dna-750

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bathory, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore Thread Starter

Ok, I hope I didn't make a mistake. I have NEVER purchased used audio at this price. To some it will be chump change, for me, it's an enormous purchase. Took me 4 years to save up the cash.

I purchased the McCormack dna 750 monos, for 3600 shipped. I hope I didn't get ripped.
    What do you all think, are they worth the money paid. I'm nervous as they are old, from 2009. I talked to Conrad Johnson, who made them, they said they are amazing, but any manufctr will talk highly of their own items. Did I. Get a descent deal? Are these amps good? Not much info on them at all.

2. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

McCormack makes excellent amps...still using my DNA-0.5 that I bought used many years ago without any issues. Can't comment on the price, but both Steve (older models) and C-J stand behind their products and offer excellent service and future upgrades if desired. I think you will be a happy camper. Enjoy!

3. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

As above, I think you will enjoy the sound and reliabilty of these amps for a VERY long time. As solid state amps go (I am a fanatic about tubes) you bought top shelf. If they ever need work (they probably never will) or you want to ask questions, it will be better to call Steve McCormack himself.

4. Bathory

Thank you gentlemen, your words definitely take "some" edge off my purchase worries.
    As mentioned this is my real forte' into top shelf stuff. I have always had mid tier which I thought was great, as my budget allowed. These are considered top shelf??? This is great to know. I did research these as much as I could, but there in very minimal info on em'.

Still would like to know the damping factor, slew rate, and current (amps) capabilities into low ohm impedances.

I boxed up my emotivas, and have been using my 600w sunfire wired to the current taps to get the muddy tube sound. Which is nice with acoustic music. Anyway, I still am unsure of the quality, as compared to pass labs, which I almost bought, but went with the higher watts, which I need anyway. Also as mentioned, these are easier to get upgrades on (big $$) though. I talked with Patrick and Steve McCormack on the phone, so I know what to expect when and if I decide to send in for upgrades.

My main concern now.....is UPS throwing them around like the gorillas they are, as we all know they treat all packages like ****e! Anyway, I am looking forward to warming them up. Thank you for all your replies. Makes me feel better about spending this much money.

Cheers \m/

5. Bathory

There have been a few bad words about these. Distortion is too high, and they sound fairly poor.
    I have I think read almost all the results via Google about these amps.
    I hope i didn't waste my VERY HARD EARNED money. Sigh,

Are you sure these are top shelf? I have not heard this mentioned anywhere else. I hope they are ok, and work properly.

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The vast majority of owners and reviewers raved endlessly about the DNA 500 and 750. They still do. Great audio engineering endures. You will always be able to find a few whiners who carp and pick at all great audio products. You can also find people whose perfectly decent hearing legitimately and simply doesn't respond well to what certain products are reproducing. Anyway, the DNA 750 is most definitely top-shelf. Get ready for a wonderful music listening experience.

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Could be that folks had speakers that didn't reveal their full character until the McCormack's were added to the mix... hard to say. Don't sweat it, put those suckers in your system and get ready for bliss. I had a McCormack preamp that I sold two years ago because my first attempt at an "audio room" was ill-contrived and the setup was just not one I'd use for its intended purpose for long enough to justify the expense. I sold that for more than I paid for it, but I regret doing so. It would sound fantastic in my new room :( Steve makes incredible gear. IMO, you're in for a treat.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I believe the last amps in the McCormack line fully designed by Steve were the DNA-125, DNA-225, and DNA-500. The DNA-250 and 750 are CJ designs for the McCormack brand. I haven't heard these two, but the previous McCormack products are great performers out of the box, and world-class when modified by Steve. If it were me I probably would have bought a used DNA-500 for that amount of cash since I don't need all that power. 2009 is not old, as any well-designed piece of gear should last 15 to 20 years before things start to drift. You should be blown away by the 750s.

John K.

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

McCormack was owned by Conrad Johnson for a number of years before they split. I believe McCormack still exists in some form out in CA but really have not seen any of its new products in a few years. CJ is still in Virginia and I have two of its amps ...

10. Bathory

I appreciate yo R time in talking high about these amps.

I still can t shake the bad comments about distortion, harmonics on 3rd and 4th order, or whatever jargon they use, or other 10 $ words these reviewers throw in, is this to thwart purchasers, or do they have golden ears, and can tell most amps apart?

I'm still nervous about the amps, but as you guys say, I'll get them(I hope in the condition stated, UPS, is the shipper)
    And plug em in, let warm up for 24 hrs before I sit down with a nice scotch, or German bier, and give a serious listen.
    My source is not the best st the moment, that is still being worked out. Pioneer dv-48 (which I heard is a awesome player as cd) my other option is, I may try the NAD CD player. As I use my iPod for most listening, and it is at the 128 k to fit it all on my iPods. Anyway, I do hope these amps are good sounding, they will replace in my main room a fully renewed, recapped Sunfire 600w Signature amp, which replaced the muddy emotiva xpa-1 500w monos.

Anyway, thank you all, for yo ur honest input. Great weekend to everyone.

11. Bathory

I am looking at the used LD-1? Or I have also looked at the sanders preamp, sanders is 50 ohm output impedance, so it should match nicely with the McCormack, what do you think, get the Smc ld-1 for a brand match, I figured die go with the sanders, as it is super clean, and with the slit lay more distortion of the McCormack, it may be a great match??? Or would the LD-1 be a better match to t he 750 monos??

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

OK, since you're asking for advice I'll give some and try not to be harsh or create too much buyer's remorse. First, I don't understand why, if as according to your profile you're using the speakers you list, you need all that power (I know Metal demands volume, but still, your speakers aren't that inefficient). You could have bought a used lower powered McCormack amp and had it modified by Steve to have a fantastic performer at a lower price. Second, I know I'll probably sound like an audio snob, but an iPod with files ripped at 128k is not going to give you any idea of how the McCormacks will actually perform. The McCormacks are so far beyond that level in terms of performance that it will be difficult to form a valid opinion. I know it's too late as the McCormacks are on their way--and they are great amps, so don't fear there--but you have at least a good enough preamp. IMO you need to reconsider the quality of your source. At the present level you may never be satisfied with your power amp, blaming it instead of the beginning of the chain.

John K.

13. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

<joking>Those amps are dreadful. Let me take them off yer hands for a song.</joking>

14. Bathory

Your honesty is appreciated, u.s.a. Has turned into silent prudes these days.

Anyway, I will be getting the sanders preamp, that should be great!

As for a source, most likely an NAD 516 or 545? I'm hoping that will be good.

As for the speakers, I have not found a pair which sound better to "me" Dynaudio the exception. But more money.

So better components on the way in th next few months. Hopefully make good music and integrate well together

15. Bathory

SON OF A................... 30 min expired on what I typed, Oh man!!

I will be getting the sanders preamp, and a new source, I have been using the pioneer elite dv-48 as CD player, darn good if you ask me. Will also get new Gronberg Quattro Rca cables. Currently using audioquest, topaz and Quartz cables. From the late 80's early 90's? Not sure.
    When I first received an iPod from the wife, I didn't know about flac, lossless etc etc, so I did AAC, not knowing the difference. With over 78k songs, 99% on cd, lp, I'm not going to re import all of them again, took me all of 4-6 years doing a few on weekdays and many on weekends, I'm not doing that again, ever! The AAC at 128 is easy access to all my music, and sounds ok for casual listening. Car is good too with it

Moved last year, so all cd's and lp's boxed up in basement a year later, only some access to a handful to play on pioneer elite dvd player. Thoughts?

Love my energy's, best I've heard in long time, bass, accurate, highs are crystal, mids are as smooth as a swimsuit models thighs. Only other I liked was dynaudio a, but much more for only a extremely minimal sound quality.
    I hate bright speakers. My head hurts, my teeth hurt, and I feel queasy when subjected to high pitch sounds for long periods. Yes, I wear earplugs at all malevolent creation shows, and King diamond (which is Friday by the way!!!)

Thoughts on a good source? Up to 500$

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I've got a McCormack DNA-1 amp with Steve's Revision A and its terrific. It drives my Oppo BDP-83 through a Schiit Bifrost DAC and Luminous Axiom passive preamp, bypassing my Outlaw surround processor that I use for video, giving me a more pure sound for my Maggie 3.5s. I think that the McCormack, which I bought before the Conrad-Johnson merger, is a great unit.
    You did good. Enjoy it!

17. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

If you are listening to Bathory the bit-rate will not matter :hide:

PS: I like Bathory

18. Bathory

Hail The Hordes!!!!!
    Hail The Legions!!!!!

Yes most of the metal I'm not concerned about, it's the rock. All the metal from abattoir to zoetrope is fine for casual jamming.. It's the pink Floyd, humble pie, lee aaron, donovan, Gordon lightfoot etc etc I want to sound best.

Haha yeah, quorthon at lossless or 128 honestly don't matter )- the first 3 are in this category.

Ok, since all are say ing the amps ar e a great pick. Would any descent source be good or better than using my pioneer elite dv-48? I am covered with preamps, B&K pro10 mc, onkyo p-308, and soon getting the sanders. All I really need is a good source and better rca's. ??

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  19. Bathory

OR....... I can sell the onkyo p-308, and get a parasound p-5 with a nice built in DAC. ? Better? Much more current product, the onkyo is not bad, but it's been with me since the late 80's early 90's(I think)

20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

That amp is a classic. If you feel it doesn't sound good, contact Conrad Johnson. Sometimes equipment needs repair. Who will pay for it, is a different story.

Everything I have heard about that amp is excellent.

21. Bathory

Sigh, thank you all for your uplifting words. Very much appreciated.

NOW, the only worry is treatment by the famous UPS in the safe handling/treatment of my packages being delivered.
    I am praying to the audio Godz, they arrive safe. Cold as a witches tit here now, so I'm also hoping UPS has heated warehouse. And they haven't been thrown or dropped from 5 feet, as UPS is famous for, treating everything like ****

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

FedEx may be the best of a pathetic bunch as USPS is nothing to write home about either ...

23. Bathory

The new amps, which my wife has named yet again, Flotsam & Jetsam, should be here sometime today, they are still sitting on that icy UPS TRUCK DRIVING AROUND.

Im hoping and praying still, they werent dropped or run over by the ***** package handlers.

The anticipation sucks!!!!!!! As does my nerves, thinking about them completely damaged in the truck.

Wish me luck brother & sister audiohedz

24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Don't worry. UPS delivers millions of packages in perfect condition every day. I've bought an untold amount of gear used, sight unseen, shipped by every carrier. Never had an issue. Good luck either way, hope to not see you for a few days as you can't manage to tear yourself away from your goodies :)

25. Bathory

In my very best poltergeist voice: "...........their..here....."

Icy as can be, cranked heat in house, going to let them sit overnight to get to room Temp before powering up.
    I wish I had my sanders preamp here for this, I will be using my old onkyo p-308 for tomorrow's listening, with my pioneer elite dv-48 as my source, until I get either an onkyo c-7030 cd or the NAD 515 cd.

I'm all smiles. My first step into the upper echelon of audio.

Or should I use my B&K pro 10mc for the initial listening???

Will report back....................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.