Megadeth Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good The Final Kill

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got this in an email to pre-order:

Century Media & Legacy Recordings are proud to announce the 2018 deluxe re-issue of Megadeth’s classic debut album, Killing Is My Business...and Business Is Good!

Killing Is My Business...and Business Is Good - The Final Kill has been completely restored to Dave Mustaine’s intended vision. Remixed by veteran metal mixer, Mark Lewis (Whitechapel) and remastered by Ted Jensen for an optimal listening experience, the 2018 version reveals unheard parts and performances throughout the record. This rare gem includes the full album, along with 7 live audio tracks from VHS tapes found in Dave Mustaine’s own attic! In addition to the bonus live tracks, the 2018 re-issue also features Megadeth’s 1984 3-track demo and the once removed cover of Lee Hazelwood’s, “The Boots” that has been added back to the record with recut vocals intended to maintain the integrity of both the original song and Megadeth’s own snarling rendition.

The package is further enhanced by a new album cover featuring a fully executed sculpture of the iconic skull that has been lost over the many years since the album’s initial release. The packaging also includes classic flyers and band photos pulled from their archive of timeless metal moments from Megadeth’s storied 35 year history. The Final Kill is the complete vision of main man, Dave Mustaine, who has contributed liner notes delving into the struggles during that time period as well as some of the surprising moments during the remixing sessions.

“I am just as much amazed at the music we made as I am at the pure fact that we survived it all!” - Dave Mustaine

CD Track List
    1. Last Rites / Loved to Deth (Remastered)
    2. Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good! (Remastered)
    3. The Skull Beneath the Skin (Remastered)
    4. Rattlehead (Remastered) - Explicit Content
    5. Chosen Ones (Remastered)
    6. Looking Down the Cross (Remastered)
    7. Mechanix (Remastered)
    8. These Boots (Remastered)
    9. Last Rites / Loved to Deth (live) (1987 London, UK)
    10. Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good! (live) (1986 Denver, CO)
    11. The Skull Beneath the Skin (live) (1990 London, UK)
    12. Rattlehead (live) (1987 Bochum, Germany) - Explicit Content
    13. Chosen Ones (live) (1986 Denver, CO)
    14. Looking Down the Cross (live) (1986 Denver, CO)
    15. Mechanix (live) (1986 Denver, CO)
    16. Last Rites / Loved to Deth (demo) (Remastered)
    17. The Skull Beneath the Skin (demo) (Remastered)
    18. Mechanix (demo) (Remastered)

Album Release Date Is June 8th 2018

Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good The Final Kill : MND2 : Century Media

The recut vocals of These Boots doesn't really thrill me, but at least it will be on there without the annoying beeps that were on the last remaster. I also like the MFN CD better than the original US or Japan but will still buy this, which will be version #4 of it that I will own.

2. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

I'll give it a shot but something tells me that after an initial listen, I'll still play my original when I want to listen to the album.

3. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Same here. Still, I HAVE to own this!

MusicMatt likes this.
  4. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Lemme guess, DR5?

5. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

Looks interesting, am I the only one who prefers the original art work ? Always loved the skull pic, that being said one of the most underrated jems in Thrash

6. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

That high, huh? Dave is becoming too much of an audiophile for me.

Devin, bzfgt, mikedifr0923 and 2 others like this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Still, I will probably buy it at keep it with the horrible remix and the original, while I continue playing the needledrop. Too bad, one of my favorite platterz ever.

Wounded Land likes this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I own the original Combat CD, but I will grab this if it is released on vinyl.

driverdrummer likes this.
  10. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident Thread Starter

A little bit more info about the versions available:

North America:
    CD Digipak (In stores & Online)
    Gatefold Red 2LP - Limited to 1500 copies (In stores & Online)
    Gatefold Black 2LP (In stores & Online)
    Gatefold White 2LP - Limited to 500 copies (FYE Exclusive)
    Gatefold Silver 2LP - Limited to 500 copies (Band Exclusive available on www.megadeth.com)

Europe:
    CD Digipak
    Gatefold Clear 2LP - Limited to 400 copies
    Gatefold Black 2LP

Sony Japan:
    BluSpec CD

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don't know about this one. The last two remasters were not very good. I will need to hear reviews on this before I purchase it.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  12. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yeah, finally. Been waiting for this since Dave's announcement :)
    I find it an odd choice regarding bonus tracks... First - hopefully a different (better) source was used for Last Rites Demo because on 2002 CD theose tracks (especially Skull Beneath the Skin) are inferior to what you can find on bootlegs. Second - are we going recent The Doors reissues route? Mirroring original album tracklist with live versions but from different dates that are again not so rare? Well, at least those tracks have been taken from great sounding SBD sources but I'd be more happy with DVD-video or an unreleased concert as they did on PSBWB 2011 reissue.
    Regarding the mastering - Ted Jensen, from the info I've checked out, is good. It all depends on the band more. I mean the guy did Far Beyond Driven, American Idiot (good examples of mastering, check DR ratings) and releses from Killswitch Engage, Gojira which are mediocre in terms of DR.
    And don't forget about his Megadeth work - Th1rt3en, SC, Dystopia with only the latter being bad on dynamics side. At least the vinyl might be a good option but I'll cross my fingers for CD too.
    Regardless, I'm really happy to finally see this KIMB reissue announcement and release date :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Soundslave

The band officially released only Loud Records remaster in 2002. What second remaster do you mean, Century Media one (1999, 2009, 2011)?

Matthew Tate and eric777 like this.
  14. eric777

The 1999 Century Media was the first remastered version. It's louder and more compressed then the original Combat release.

Matthew Tate and Soundslave like this.
  15. HankM

HankM Senior Member

This is the only version I own on CD and it is loud. I should hit up Discogs and look for the Combat CD or an early vinyl pressing.

eric777 likes this.
  16. eric777

The original is the best version ;however, the production is still horrible. I will be surprised if the new remaster actually fixes all the issues it had.

Matthew Tate and HankM like this.
  17. Soundslave

Ok. Never compared original CDs but I have 2002 Loud Records and 2011 Century Media (which is even more compressed than 1999).

eric777 likes this.
  18. eric777

I passed on the 2011 because I figured it was just a reissue of the 1999 version.

19. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Thanks.
    I will be fine with black vinyl if the sound is good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Not sure about the re-recorded vocals on "The Boots" though....although admittedly it must be better than the censored version.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

No, you're not. Love the original cover and the original sound.

What this press release says to me is that the one worthwile album that escaped the 2004 remix/rerecording disaster is now about to get the same treatment.

mikedifr0923 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I'm all in. want the live tracks

23. Soundslave

Live tracks on this reissue are actually not that hard to find. Still, they might be even better with studio mastering, but I guess Ted made them compressed anyway... Nevertheless, I've already pre-ordered the signed Silver LP and a hoodie :)

24. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I was listening to my '02 remaster(CD ed.) via Loud Records last week and while it's ok, I'm still kicking myself to this day for parting with my Combat vinyl copy way back when. Per the live cuts included, I'll most likely buy into this edition, I'm also curious about the recut vocals of "These Boots". Dave had such an issue with Lee Hazelwood and apparently that continues to this day, so I'm sure the redoing of the vocals is yet another legal matter hurdle, but all the same, it'll be interesting to hear. I'm in!

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I'm in

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.