Mel Brooks Box set out

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The DVD Talk review says that "Young Frankenstein" says:

"Though the film may not be anamorphic, the static menus are. The main menu offers choices to watch the film, select scenes, adjust languages and check out the special features. . .

"Sadly, the release I received contains the same full-frame letterboxed transfer found on the original DVD. Reportedly this insertion was a mistake, but I can't say for certain. It wasn't a bad transfer, but is certainly not a great one. In several parts, the image is a bit soft and light in terms of the detail, while dirt and damage can be seen in spots."

And "Blazing Saddles" is not the Anniversary Edition. . .

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20937

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Amen, brother. I've been waiting for this one for years. I've seen outtakes, and hopefully they'll include those. (Harvey in leather being lowered onto Cloris from the top of the poster bed by a chain. And a funny "closet" scene.) Let's hope they release it separately.

3. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

My brother commented just last night that I did the Marty Feldman eye movement bit. He gets all bug-eyed and looks a bit funny. Dont forget the fire part with Gene Hackman.

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

After seeing the movie, "Young Frankenstein", Aerosmith went out and wrote the song, "Walk This Way"! :righton:

5. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Marty Feldman contracted a disease around 1962 that did that to his eyes. Of course; those eyes, became his trademark.

And; Hackman as the old man is golden. :righton:

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

So is Young Frankenstein anamorphic on this set?

That would be the only reason for me to buy the set at this point.

I'd buy some of the titles individually.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There are reports of both new anamorphic and old non-anamorphic discs showing up in the box set. There does not seem to be an obvious way to tell which is which without opening it, although some are asserting that the anamorphic version is individually shrink-wrapped in the package.

Regards,

8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

It doesn't matter. If it were mono, it would be fine!! For crying out loud; it's a black and white movie!!! It's PURE CLASSIC!!! :righton:

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Oh I already own it on DVD. And it is a classic but I'd like an anamorphic one now.

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I wonder if Pickle has gotten her copy yet??!!

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fox sent me a non-anamorphic one - still waiting for them to forward a replacement...

12. lol we're going to Future Shop tonight to get Harry Potter, Narnia and Little Frakenstien :) lol apparently hubby raves about it too ;)

13. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

Is that an added scene for the DVD? It certainly isn't in the theatrical print or VHS copy.

14. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I don't remember it either. And; I have watched my DVD about 36 times in the past 6 or 7 years. :)

15. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Ya, it's one of the deleted scenes! It really helps put together the first scene with the book being taken out of the coffin and the scene at the University with the lecture and exacto knife.

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I hope they don't make us wait too long. I agree, the bondage scene between Dr. Montague and Nurse Diesel puts me on the floor everytime!!! :laugh: Another standout is where the pigeons are crapping(BTW that was actually mayonnaise and spinach they used to simulate bird poop :D ) on Mel Brooks in Golden Gate Park, and he just can't get out of the line of fire!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Love those films! Where was it I saw Mel Brooks termed "King of Lowbrow Comedy" :p Very happy they're finally coming out.

Igor (or is it... Eyegore? ah well) - "IIiiiii ...ain't got no bo-dy..."

Those scenes get me every time too, Jeff H. :laugh:

18. GKH

GKH Senior Member

"Dracula - Dead And Loving It" was pretty funny, too! It had it's moments. Like "Robin Hood - Men in Tights", it's not mentioned much either. :righton:

[​IMG]

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My set had the old, non-16:9 enhanced version of "Young Frankenstein". I contacted Fox customer service at (1-888-223-2FOX), and they mailed me a replacement very promptly. they did not even ask for the old disc back.

Fox home video took a while to figure out how to address the issue, but after they finally let their customer service folks know what to do, the replacment disc process was even easier than for the Beatles CDs.

For those looking to identify whether they got the correct disc, the new YF release has full color art on the disc, like every other disc in the box except for "Blazing Saddles" (a 2-sided "flipper"). The old one does not. Unfortunately, you cannot tell without opening the package.

Regards,

20. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'm betting it will be less than six months before "High Anxiety" is released separately.

21. hungrych

hungrych New Member

I got this set for my birthday last week and it's awesome! :D

22. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

Right on the nose. DavisDVD.com is reporting that the individual movies will be available separately on Sept. 5th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.