Mercury Living Presence 1812 Overture-Dorati

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

For $.50, I have found the original Living Presence 1812 Overture vinyl containing the recording with this cover[​IMG]

According to most reviews, this version is the most popular and the definitive performance of the piece ever. BTW, the vinyl version doesn't have the Wellington's Victory recording the CD has but it has everything else the CD has.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I have a nice, clean copy of the vinyl, too. Also cost me $.50. I also have 2 cd versions. One in a jewel case and one in a red digipak with great graphics (reproductions of two paintings) and both with a 14 page, interesting booklet. "Only ORIGINAL MASTERS used for transfer to Cpmpact Disc." Great recording!

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

:)

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

This recording beats the Erich Kunzel Telarc digital recording even now. A demonstration disc for the ages. One of Bob Fine and Wilma Cozart Fine's best recording achievements for the ages and never bettered. Same goes for "Wellington's Victory". The Mono version was recorded in 1954 and the Stereo version in 1958. One of the best classical sellers of all time.

5. reverber

reverber Senior Member

I have a Mercury pressing with little French and British flags you are supposed to put on the right and left speakers.

Cody

BrentB likes this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

My lp is mono. Nice, heavy vinyl. The cds are 3 channel stereo.

7. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The stereo 1812 is a great recording, one of my favorite Mercury's. The recording of Wellington's Victory, which came out on vinyl later but is on the CD, is more like a shoot out between the musket fire sounds and the music, the muskets unfortunately win.

scobb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.