Merle Haggard - Haggard Like Never Before CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SuperMusicFan2003, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member Thread Starter

I picked this cd up last night and it is great from beginning to end. All new material, save for Reno Blues (Philadelphia Lawyer) which was first found on the Live in Philadelphia album that had Bonnie Owens singing the track.

This is a very pleasant listening experience, very warm sounding and very much true to form Merle Haggard. This contains some of the best songwriting he's put out in years and his voice sounds better too as does the band. I really can't say that there's a stand out track on here as they are all great, but so far after 3 listenings my faves are (in no particular order): I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me / Reno Blues w/Willie Nelson and Garbage Man.

I'm proud to say that this is the first time in a while that I felt like I was listening to Haggard album of the quality of material he put out in the 70's and early 80's.

2. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Supposedly his last album was very good too, though I haven't heard it myself. I long ago dismissed Hag as a spent force from a creative standpoint; maybe he's gonna pull a Dylan and begin making great albums again after a long dry spell...

3. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I can vouch for both cds. IF I COULD ONLY FLY is intensely personal, even dark in spots, but it's a great album. HAGGARD LIKE NEVER BEFORE is just great from beginning to end. Lighthearted, serious when it has to be, great music. Norm Stevens on guitar adds a lot to the experience.

4. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member Thread Starter

I agree, If I Could Only Fly, was a great album. Very beautiful and dark, but it is lacking something that has been found again with the release of this album. Great songwriting all around and it's great to hear all new material that is in the class that Haggard needs to be in. I think this should put Haggard back where he deserves to and should be. Plus this is the best the band has sounded in year in my opinion.

5. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

His last few albums have represented a Johnny Cash-like comeback, IMO. My only complaint is how short they were: 20-30 minutes each.

6. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I think the albums are a little longer that that, but I agree they could be more substantial. For some reason, cds by artists like Haggard and George Jones have always been stuck at the normal length for a 331/3 recording.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.