Metal Machine Music - which vinyl pressing to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

As everybody knows every man's day must start and end with Metal Machine Music blasted at full volume. The only question is what's a decent man's MMM LP pressing of choice? Can you be forgiven for playing a second US pressing or is it a mortal sin worthy of a chainsaw punishment? Should I be ashamed to go out and look people in the eye if I have a japanese original LP?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Get whichever version littered the cutout bins at Woolworths in the late 70s -probably cheap and plentiiful.

Sean likes this.
  3. "Second US pressing"?!?

Dino, telepicker97, geo50000 and 3 others like this.
  4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I know! its bizarre isnt it? That there are so few and that they are so dear :shrug:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    telepicker97 likes this.
  6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Can anyone here who has heard the quad mix please comment about the experience? I have a copy of the quad mix myself (on vinyl, as well as the stereo mix) but I don't have any quad decoder equipment with which to properly enjoy this and other quad LP titles that I own.

7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Oh it'd be even better coming from 4 corners instead of just 2 :agree:

Dodoz and Baba Oh Really like this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I love posts like this that don't acknowledge the passing of time. That was 40 years ago, bub!

I was selling clean original copies of MMM in my shop in Evanston, IL, for $25 in 1992.

athensdrums likes this.
  9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

If I was a tyrant or something I would implant Metal Machine Music in everyone's brain for mandatory 5.1 24/7 listening. That would be my gift to mankind, but sadly a man's got to know his limitations and we could only dream of the planet's population fully enlightened by Metal Machine Music. So yes, until then we're stuck with traditional ways of enjoying MMM.

10. Bub?
    You missed the point of my post. The album was worthless then because nobody liked it and age hasn't made it any better or more valuable. Or so I thought, apparently people will pay good money for a Big FU from Lou Reed.

Nostaljack and Ghostworld like this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Collectible artist, rare and legendary record with a mystique built up around it -- even if it's pretty difficult listening. Personal tastes aside, it's not hard to follow why it's valuable now.

Apologies for the "bub." Ill-judged attempt to sound like Wolverine, I guess.

Tom Campbell and Pete Puma like this.
  12. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

All the cool kids have it on 8-track.

[​IMG]

13. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Whew. I was afraid they might program it to have a track span between programs. ;)

BeardedSteven likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Get the version that doesn't sound brick walled.

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  15. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Dino and 93curr like this.
  16. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

17. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

The divorce package

18. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I like this record.

I don't know any of the reissues, but the U.S. first pressing was mastered by Robert Ludwig while the Canadian first was not.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, the Canadian didn't have the lock groove at the end, either.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Actually thinking of getting the Blu-Ray disc (from the online Lou Reed Super Store) for the "discrete" 4 channel experience. Anyone here got this disc?

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I have it. Sadly, my system is stereo-only, though.

The audio is excellent, but the packaging is abysmal. It has an ad for Lou's other recent albums printed right on the digipak cover, the liner notes are too small and blurry to read properly and it has "The LP contains a stereo reproduction of the original quadrophonic master" printed right on the front cover - they just copied the LP reissue sleeve for the BluRay, despite the BD having the quad mix. Lots of effort on the content of the disc, cheap careless nonsense for the artwork.

squittolo likes this.
  22. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

And history repeated itself...

[​IMG]

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

hahaha the concept of this thread is funny.

Nostaljack and Baba Oh Really like this.
  24. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Too bad Rutherford Chang didn't obsess over this one instead.

Ben Adams and citizensmurf like this.
  25. Oh man. MMM. I remember seeing this in my local record shop in the 70s. I thought it had the coolest cover. So, being a transformer fan I saved up the cash - it was a double album after all - and ran it home clutching it in my 15 yo arms. When I played it I felt both confused and angry. I didn't take it back, because well I knew I'd been had and I didn't feel the need to broadcast this to the lovely, but judgemental gal behind the counter.

The years turned my anger into humour - it's a great, great joke. Perhaps the finest in all of rock? That Lou Reed actually performed this nonsense as serious work later in his career, says much about the po faced intellectual poseur he became in my book.

MMM best pressing? Brilliant!

Nostaljack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.