Metallica 2015 Remasters of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Everything should be reissued as flat transfers from the original tapes. Done!

joshm2286 and heartbroken_poet like this.
  2. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Okay so were the CDs painted? The single disc I got of Lightning has no paint, and I think it is the old disc inside. Looks like the 80s disc.

3. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Yeah that doesn't always work, and would not work in this case either.

At any rate this should be what you want. These sound almost exactly like the originals lol.

4. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Wait so what the ****? This IS the remaster then? It says remastered by Howie. But the disc is not even painted lol? Nothing else to differentiate it. These remasters are super cheap, and there is literally nothing but a snippet in the credits on the cheap ass booklet telling you Howie remastered it. They didn't even paint the damn disc lol. These have to be the cheapest remasters I have ever seen in my life.

I grabbed the three disc for Master though. At least they painted the discs there.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  5. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

DR8 is in no way brickwalled. You obviously don't have a clue what goes into mastering records. You can't just look at a chart and say that is brickwalled. Your eyes have no idea what you are seeing. This is metal not classical music. DR8 is about right where you want to be with metal. No one in their right mind masters metal at DR12 lol.

Look, I love dynamic range as much as the next person, but if you don't understand mixing, mastering, et cetera, than you might as well not even comment on it. People on these forums are particularly misinformed when it comes to dynamic range.

DR4 is brickwalled. DR8 keeps the dynamics needed for full throttle metal while keeping it loud and consistent.

Hell, the new Death remasters and remixes are mostly DR7 and they sound amazing because you guessed it they didn't **** up the treble when pushing it. So they sound perfectly crunchy and bassy without treble raping your ears.

Mixing and EQ is far more important than some random DR number when it comes to METAL. Mark my words. Death Metal has very few volume changes and very little room for dynamics to be heard like classical music. That doesn't mean you just crush the signal, it means you certainly do not need a DR12 metal record.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    FVDnz and sathvyre like this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I bought the box sets, and the remastered album looks like the old discs, but you can easily tell the difference when you play it.

7. The Hud

That's why they are $5. If you want more, you have to pony up for the box sets.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Was the disc you picked up a mini cardboard gatefold type? The recent single CD remasters came like that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Nevermind, you obviously just realized you got the remaster. Personally as far as the CD’s go, I think Master came out the best. Very impressed with that one. Vinyl remasters for all 3 are superb.

10. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Yes, I know they are cheap. But literally this is the only remastered modern disc I have ever bought without a painted disc lol. I get it they are cheap. But jesus it's pretty hard to understand why they did not even paint the disc. At least they painted the discs for the 3 disc Master.

I think the remasters turned out fine. It is obvious you can't do much more with them. Howie didn't even change much to be honest. I don't think they sound different hardly at all. Heck, I might even prefer the original Kill, but they are so close as to not really care to me, at least on my HD600s.

Lightning did sound better than the old version though. The treble sounds better. And Master does as well. So they did a good job, I was just confused.

Considering the boxsets are padded with absolute garbage sounding live sets no thanks. The only major boxsets I have gotten in the last few years are the King Crimson and a few others that are absolutely ****ing amazing. Everyone else seems to be padding with a lot of garbage.

I did actually get the boxsets on the net, because I thought about getting them, but after hearing the live sets for Lightning I was like hell no. I don't have that kind of money unless they are essential.

11. The Hud

I guess I am surprised that a painted disc is so important to you. I personally don't care either way.

Glad you got the correct discs after all!

Matthew Tate and Zach Johnson like this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Dude, we get it, not a fan of the boxes, ok.

13. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

What I think it is good information to hear. A lot of people wonder what is actually quality on these sets and what is not. The only live disc even remotely worth it is disc 2 on Lightning. If you are on the edge it's good know what is involved here. The other live sets are nearly unlistenable. But obviously the packaging is worth it on those big sets if you are a major collector.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Nothing is unlistenable. You are exaggerating here. Plus, anyone can sample on Spotify for free before they buy. Also, anyone who is a fan of bootlegs, or grew up with bootlegs, know exactly what they are getting here. In fact most of these shows have been cleaned up nicely and offer better SQ to what existed in collecting circles.

Even the DVDs are a treat.

The sets are bloody fantastic.

15. The Hud

I like the live discs in the Metallica sets.

Do you have the Mega Crimson box sets? If so, I am surprised you like them because I have heard there are some poor recordings included in those.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

The live sets offer an incredible chance to hear Cliff do what he did best live. He’s up in the mix and absolutely slays.

This is Metallica at their rawest and kicking ass.

17. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I have most of the originals and the remasters. The remasters are incredibly good, but I still prefer the originals. Metallica isn't a "balanced" type of EQ group. The early stuff is thrash, and the OG pressings sound like vintage thrash, but with some balls.

That said, I prefer the Rhino box set which is the OG masters, spread across 2 LPs for the first three, plus Justice which sounds identical to my Dutch original.

But, since the Rhino and the OG's cost a damn fortune these days, I always direct folks asking to the remasters, especially if they say they can't spend $100 on a perfect original :)

And the extra contents in the Master box are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I don't have the other boxes, though, just the remastered vinyl.

18. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I'm with you on this. Luckily, the Master set has a lot better sounding sets and I'm confident it will only improve as it moves on to Justice and Black Album.

izombie73 likes this.
  19. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I like the box sets and especially MOP so much that I have been going back to it several times since I have gotten it.

Sometimes I'll just put on the live shows and look through all the boxes amazing content.

Sometimes I put on the DVD and just sit there amazed. These guys (at such early ages) made some of the highest quality and now time tested material available.

Sometimes I just look at the buttons.

MOP is my fave so far followed by Ride. I have a feeling though, that Justice is going to be so over the top and it will probably take that number 2 slot. When we finally get to the Black album I may just Sh!t my Pants!!! LOL

20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Can't wait for Justice (as they may have taken some of my submissions for it), but when they get to the Black Album, I'm out. Until Death Magnetic. Or maybe even St Anger. Oh... I'm in for Garage Inc if there's one for that.

21. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Why ???
    The first three albums are available in great quality on various CD and vinyl version...simply repress the old VERTIGO or ELEKTRA or MFN editions and everything is fine !!!

22. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Well, it seems there will be no remixing of AJFA...the box set might appear on the shelves as early as november.

"I just contributed to the anniversary album of …And Justice [For All]. I just sent them a bunch of pictures and some outtakes, but they have no desire to re-mix the record. They want to keep it the way it is.

They might remaster it or something like that, but there is only so much mastering you can do. And I'll tell you the truth, I don't even know if those original multitracks could be saved. Because there are like 5 million edits in them from Lars' drums alone. So if you have the box and open it up there probably be about 50 million pieces of tape all over the place."

~ Steve Thompson, mixer working for Metallica

"A remaster cut is coming out now. I'm actually in the process of sending stuff to Metallica and writing an essay about how it was recorded and what we did. The last year was the 'Master of Puppets' re-issue, and 'Justice' is gonna come out this November I guess. Same thing – vinyls, loads of CDs, rough mixes, all the demos and the works and big book and everything.

"I'm guessing that the main version, like the remaster thing, is gonna sound more or less as it did. But there might be alternative versions on there.

"I know for sure that nobody's asking me to remix it or anything and I'm pretty sure nobody asked Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero to do that either. I think they're gonna go with the remastering thing; whether they're gonna stick more bass in there – I have no idea. But let's see when it comes out.

"It was all recorded on two-inch tape. And I edited it so much that I'm pretty sure they're all gonna fall apart if you start playing them now. You'd probably need to re-tape them together again. Whether or not somebody transferred that to digital, I have no idea. And the question is, when did they do that and what does that sound like. Because once you change the format, you're ****ed.

"But we'll see. Probably in November it's gonna be out. So we're working on that right now."

~ Flemming Rasmussen

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It sounds like there probably isn't a remix if none of them are aware of it being done, but all this talk of a remix not being possible because of tape condition is such nonsense. And they just keep repeating it even after it was proven wrong by most of the album appearing as separate tracks in the Guitar Hero game.

"Because once you change the format, you're ****ed." What does that even mean? The album was recorded analog and mixed digitally, so how is it ****ed if they transferred the analog multis to digital?

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  24. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Is there any chance Ride The Lightning gets the 3cd treatment like Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.