Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Wow, mine just arrived this afternoon - Canada Post delivering on a Sunday?!? #23555, overpacked in true amazon style, and looking very imposing in its customized padded black box. I almost don't want to open it, and spoil its perfection as an object. ;)

2. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Amazon and the USPS have some sort of agreement where certain shipments are delivered on Sunday. I guess Amazon and Canada Post have a similar arrangement!

Pouchkine and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. Yeah thats another problem with the records I mentioned earlier. There wasnt much stereo separation. Im glad you said the bass is nice too. Im going to look out for it.

As far as record liners go. I usually pitch the paper ones and replace them with MoFi inners. If they have lyrics or something unique I leave them in the jackets but use a mofi sleeve for the record.

steveharris and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

This has to be one of the very best archive box sets ever!
    All of these variations of one of my all favorite records it`s so great to listen to.
    I was afraid there was going to be a pattern with all of these boxes and things left out.They really had so much great stuff for Puppets I love how they released so much.It`s even in a larger box than Kill and Ride!
    I am really looking forward to a Justice Super deluxe hopefully very soon.

5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Personally, I never throw away the original sleeves that it comes in. After cleaning the LP, I'll place it in a fresh Nagaoka 102 sleeve and then place that back into the original inner (99% of the time it fits perfectly but if for some reason the original sleeve is too tight I'll just place it alongside). I like to keep the original contents so would never throw away even a basic paper sleeve.

I never used to but have also started cutting out hype/info stickers and sliding those into the jacket - takes up no extra space.

Pouchkine and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  6. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Maybe it was just me but side two of the vinyl seemed louder. I had a friend bring over his vinyl of this and side two seemed louder. Maybe it is just me?

The box has a lot of stuff to look over while listening. Great packaging and it sounded pretty much just like my original CD.

So are both sides cut the same level?

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Well that is interesting because I never touched my volume control, but I did find that Orion and Damage Inc got louder. I just thought I was imagining it.

Clonesteak likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I need to go back an re-listen to the vinyl to see if I hear any volume difference on side 2. I don't recall there being any, however my first impression was how low the whole thing was cut and how high I had to crank my volume control.

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

The vinyl is outstanding though, and I can`t get over the quality of the pressing, as well as the Aragon show. I was able to listen to Disc 4 last night, which contained the rough mixes, and that was a blast. The sound was very good and it was so cool to hear the piano part in Orion. Actually the mix allowed to hear more of the tom tom work that Lars was doing, especially on the fills for Master. I just can`t get over how much cool stuff is in this box.

I was watched some of the Detroit DVD (which is my fave bootleg) and I thought they did improve the sound for the listener. Hell they really brought up the bass on that one.

johnny q, Clanceman and steveharris like this.
  10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

YES YES. Amazon.it has send me a shipping email.

Clanceman likes this.
  11. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

What the Hell?!?!, I read about there was a bug in the preorders and part of them wont be processed, tired of waiting today I cancelled my order, but I received an mail saying that I couldn't cancel, and 30 minutes after I received an mail notifying the order was shipped, so I guess you have to threat a cancellation to make Amazon move their butt and send the boxset

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Between the new Sabbath deluxe box release, Maiden Live, & this MOP, & Yardbirds 68’ coming.......I haven’t had time to clean/play the vinyl set of BOS Live Chapter ....or the LPs from MOP set (though I need to get to Aragon.)

So much killer stuff to listen to.

For my 2nd time through...I’m cranking “Live At Grugahalle” 87’ show.

Love it. One of my favorite “Welcome Home..” Whole show kicks ass.

Damn, what a monster of a box.

13. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Really ?

14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Nah,I was just messin with ya`s Metallica always stank!:p
    Anybody is an idiot if they`re foolish enough to pay for this box of garbage!!!!!:yikes:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    theshape likes this.
  15. Kingston12

Kingston12 Forum Resident

What status was your order at before that? Mine is showing as 'Not yet shipped' and has an estimated arrival window of 23rd-27th November. Last time, they waited until the end of the window to tell me it would be delayed, but I am reluctant to cancel it as it is an Amazon.it preorder at a much cheaper price than I would have to pay now...

16. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

amazon italy have changed the status of my order to "In preparazione alla spedizione" which is in preparation for shipping, just checked my credit card account and they have now charged me too.
    finally!!!!! it'll be with me soon!

Kingston12 likes this.
  17. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

IIRC "not yet shipped" too, with a window of 23-29 Nov, I dont know, I tried to cancel mine because what I read about some preorders not being processed, and I got lucky I guess, or it was just coincidence.

If you dont want to lose the preorder price, contact them and see what they tell you and wait a few more days, for all I read in this thread it's worth the wait :righton:

Kingston12 likes this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

I forgot to cancel my order with Amazon Canada and they shipped the box last night, it's now out for delivery d'oh!

izombie73 and Clanceman like this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I’m on the Aragon vinyl now. On to side 2/Record #1

Great stuff.

That 2nd set shouldn’t be hard to sell at some point...if you don’t return it.

izombie73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’m watching the Japan DVD now, can’t get enough of this boxset. Amazon is taking it back.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. I believe someone mentioned the lack of Cliff's demos, which is puzzling. I know there are some out there since they've been alluded to, especially by Jim Martin and his brother who talk about hours of cassette recorder jams, high out if their minds.

Well, I'm sure that stuff wouldn't make the box set, but in the first Riffs & Demo disc we hear James messing around with the slow middle section of "Orion." Now, to my understanding Cliff had that whole section worked out, except it was all bass. So, either James learned the parts bit-by-bit, or he was going off of a demo that Cliff gave him. I'm sure they would have included something like that if it still existed. In fact, Cliff wasn't too happy that they wanted to do the melodies on the guitar, only leaving the bass notes to the bass.

These are really just observations from digging into the box set quite a bit. I guess it's not too puzzling.

I just have to wonder if there's anything out there that's worth hearing from Cliff.

Well, I'm sure it would be worth hearing even if he noodled on the bass for about 5 seconds and then farted. Those jams with Jim Martin & Co sounds appealing. But I guess they wouldn't make the set for the same reason that a Spastik Children show didn't make the set. It's still very much of interest.

Rhapsody In Red and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. They gave us this gem back in the day...

Metallica: Cliff 'Em All! (Video 1987) - IMDb

23. Well, yeah, I got that one the first day of release. Man, I haven't seen that in a long time!

On another note, has anyone tried to rip the audio from the DVDs? I did. It sounds rancid! Hahaha! Really, the audio needs to accompany the video.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

That has already been confirmed, James was simply learning those parts, not writing them.

Clanceman likes this.
  25. So, I suppose we're going to assume that there are no extant recordings of Cliff demoing this section, otherwise it would have been in the box.

An interesting note, there is an interview with Kirk in the book that came with the box where Kirk claims (in 1986) that the slow middle section in "Master of Puppets" pre-dates Kill 'Em All. He also states that "Disposable Heroes" was written while they were recording the Ride the Lightning album. If that's true, it must have been in almost an entirely different state than the one it turned up in, because the work in progress is pretty clear on the Master era tracks. Perhaps he's speaking of sections and/or main riffs floating around. There was something else he mentioned being written right after Ride, "Battery" maybe. Since the article is from 1986, maybe he just wants to make the band sound super cool, with a plethora of ideas. It just doesn't quite add up. He had to have been talking about sections and riffs.

Anyway, I digress. Knowing the Cliff lived at home with his folks, it seems he just crashed there, so perhaps he didn't have time to demo anything, maybe not even having a cassette deck, making the only tapes with Cliff is when somebody else recorded him. It seems that anything with Cliff on it, Ray Burton would have handed them over to Metallica.