Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

I own a 1986 original SP pressing and the newer reissue and to my ears both sound great.

2. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Thanks I’ve ordered the new remaster lp. May try get an 80s press as well to compare and sell on if I need to. Will post my opinion in a few days.

Soundslave likes this.
  3. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

So had a listen once through am very impressed I must say. Bear in mind I’ve never heard this on record before, but huge improvement especially the clarity of the drums and bass is clearer too. Guitars have so much bite. However I can imagine an even better press like a double 45 bettering it e.g. still room for improvement on bass drum impact which is still too distant for me. I’ve previously always been disappointed with sound of title track and Disposable Heroes but they’ve really come alive and sound how they should. Very happy in all and highly recommended. Will still try get a Vertigo 89 to compare though. Thanks for reading my drivel folks!

Soundslave, toddrhodes and cmarti like this.
  4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Glad you're happy with it. Yes, the 2xLPs, whether in 33 RPM (Rhino) or 45 RPM (MFN) do up the ante in the bass and dynamics departments, but they're also incredibly expensive in a condition that matches that 2017 remaster. The 2017s are very crankable, balanced, and sound great overall.

steveharris likes this.
  5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was playing the live in Japan DVD and the Aragon vinyl.I still think all these shows are amazing.I haven`t read anything about how long they had this stuff or how they aquired everything in this boxset.It`s crazy that these vintage concerts come out 30 years later.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  6. manofatom

manofatom Forum Resident

If you're a (free) member on the Metallica website, there are a couple of articles about putting the set together.

Inside the Sanitarium: What It Took to Put the Master of Puppets Reissue Together - Metallica

&

Hunter of the Shadows - Metallica

Stormrider77 and steveharris like this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Also the German show with Jason, that show is smoking!

8. steveharris

Just playing the Essan show again.They were like a well oiled machine.There`s an audience recording on youtube with the missing songs.
    Those articles were interesting too.I`m playing the Bee Jeeb Rock III cd from the Lightning Box right now.I can`t get enough of this vintage Metallica it`s great!:)

9. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I considered buying this box set a few days after it came out. I plunked down a good chunk dough on the following:

2008 WB Black Album 4 LP at 45 RPM

Garage Inc 6 LP 45 RPM

RTL 1984 MFN27 LP

MOP 1987 MFN DMM 2Lp 45 RPM

Metallica aka Black Album Vertigo Swirl 2LP European press,

Creeping Death single (1984 MFN LP) ,

MOP MFN 60 CD

RTL (1987 Elecktra) CD

so I'll be taking a long break from buying entertainment media.

pinkrudy and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  10. steveharris

I would advise any super long timr obsesive compulsive freak(like me!) to buy this boxset!It`s so cool!
    The best part is actually the rough mix cd and 2 cds of riffs/demos/alternate recordings.I am estatic to hear all of these live shows!:agree:
    I wish Van Halen put out something this comprehensive for obsesive compulsive freaks(ME!):wave:

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Great live show but the J Bees Rock III show is from the Kill Em All boxset. Awesome raw vintage show, and love James raw throat style of singing here.

Any Metallica freak should have these boxes, bring on Justice.

I also agree with you that the MOP rough mix CD is awesome to listen to.

steveharris likes this.
  12. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Are the 80's non-MFN versions worth getting? A local shop by me got in two European Phonogram pressings that were in great shape and only $20. I got the remaster, any reason to get this as well besides collectibility (they're the spaceship design labels).

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

For $20 I’d run to get those today! To me all early Metallica is worth owning, and $20 is laughable as long as the playing condition is great. Especially if they are the 1989 Vertigo's those sound great.

You won’t regret it.

14. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

They looked like new. I will try to run up there and grab it.

Also had RTL. Maybe I'll grab that, too.

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Seriously, grab both. You’re already ahead if they are $20 each.

joshm2286 likes this.
  16. steveharris

I`m still going to enjoy all of this music even though the mastering could be better.I just dug out my old MO 1986 soundboard cd,Dawn Of The Dead.
    Still not quite audiophile but it has a really raw tone and crunch to the guitar sound that I like.
    This show is also a free MP3 download on the official site.I haven`t heard that so I`m not sure what the source is from.There were some terrible boots remastered by some Japan labels years back.

17. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

Does anyone *not* have surface noise and occasional pops during the quieter parts? I just gave this sucker the most thorough possible cleaning and all of that stuff is still there.

It's probably more noticeable than other records because I really need to crank this thing (almost reaching 0 dB on this, no other LP I own needs to go above -10), but just wondering.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been discussed already....but is the live material on the Puppets box set sound board quality?...i know the dvd material is "bootleg" quality but i am more curious about the cd and vinyl live material. I have all 3 box sets but i have not opened them yet. Not that i wont but i just havent had the time to dedicate to them

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

All shows are soundboard, with varying sound quality, except the cassette containing Cliff’s last show. That is an audience recording, and although the quality isn’t the greatest, the energy comes through. They played amazing that night.

The DVDs have two audience shot shows, and the Japan show is soundboard and filmed from a camera on the tripod. Great show.

I suggest you sign up for a free Spotify account and stream the boxset. All the shows are up for listening and this way you’ll hear for yourself the various shows and the corresponding SQ.

izombie73 likes this.
  20. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying!!! I will crack these open soon and give them a proper listen. I am very happy to hear the live audio material (except Cliff's last show) is from the soundboard, regardless of the varying quality. Thank you sir!

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

No problem. I’m sure you’ll enjoy, I grew up with bootlegs, trading with people all over the world so the quality in most cases was an improvement. Love the vinyl from the Chicago show as well.

izombie73 and Queezma like this.
  22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Will let you know when i give all 3 boxsets a proper test drive.

izombie73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  23. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure everything from the boxes are up on iTunes, so you should be able to sample the tracks to get a good idea of what the sound quality is.

24. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Double likes if I could :righton:

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’m listening to the remaster CD of the main album from the boxset and I have to say, I really dig it. It’s nice hearing the bass, especially on the title track. For a remaster it’s really not that bad.