MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

Sorry for resurrecting a somewhat old thread, but I have recently bought a pack of 50 MFSL inner sleeves from sound stage direct and i would say about a quarter of them, maybe more, are unusable due to small spikes in the plastic/poly layers...some worse (harder spikes) than others...to the point that they will cause scratches.
    Which totally negates the "non scratching" printed on the sleeves themselves. has anyone else noticed or seen these?

I only noticed about halfway through the pack so i probably missed a few along the way as well...kind of annoying as i cant remember every record i re sleeved with them.
    Really annoying considering it costs more to ship a pack of 50 to New Zealand than the pack itself costs, and most other sites with alternatives don't ship here at all:(

On the subject of this thread, i have not noticed the white residue, but will check any i have sleeved with these when i can.

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

no sorry threads dont have time ;)
    that "small spikes" are new issue, the issue discuss here is some "white" dust that left the inner on the record"
    I buy new on musicdirect.com they claim that new stock are free of the "white" dust and I confirm that.
    your packings with "spickes" have the new artwork? http://www.musicdirect.com/images/product/large/AMFIS.jpg or the old?

3. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

I will check when I'm home...but I do not believe it has the orange bar w/text at the top.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the set that I have with free of white dust ... have the old cover art too, red on the top

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I stopped buying the MoFi sleeves when the white powder residue started showing up and haven't gone back. Sleeve City I believe is the name of the company I now order from and their product works just as well so I've had no reason to return to MoFi.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and ibanez_ax like this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

These replace any paper sleeves that come with records that I buy.

20131005_183234.jpg

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's what I'm using too. I might have the names confused but those that you posted are the ones I switched to from the MoFi. No complaints.

8. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

Hi again, sorry for the late reply...was not abel to get on my pc during the weekend due to my daughter drooling in my mouse and destroying it!

The pack of mofi sleeves I have is definitely not that cover version you posted...its a smaller grey upper bar with text inside.

I went a checked some of the earlier records i sleeves with this mofi pack...no white residue but found more hard little spikes scratching up the record surfaces...quality control is obviously not in place somewhere or at was not at sometime :/

I have decided no more mofi sleeves again, and to place an order for some of these...reasonably affordable to get and ship to New Zealand:

http://store.soundsourcecds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_70&products_id=194

9. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I have had any problem with them./

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Does anybody know if these sleeves are now made in China? I have purchased two packs of these over the past several months and neither has produced any white powder or spikes, and, no, they are not the new style yellow packet. Maybe some sources still have the ones that are not made in China, if that is the problem.

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I like the mofis over all that I try (well the diskepper are so good even more heavy than mofi and exist with double paper, but I think that heavy maybe are bad than the filmsy mofi that maybe for be filmsy are better to the disc? you know more delicate contact to the disc... I just say...) so I go to write to mofi again and ask if the new ones with new packing are complete free of this problem! http://www.musicdirect.com/images/product/large/AMFIS.jpg I let you know if they respond ;)

12. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

Vinyl Fan 1973 and googlymoogly like this.
  13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yeap that exactly the one that I mention in previous comment... that double paper diskeeper I feel really good and more heavy but thats my question, that "heavy" vs mofi is not wrorst, you know more soft maybe is better for the vinyl care; also I dont like the logo of diskeeper (yes yes just a comestic thing... I just say) it would be nice clear! with any logo at all.

so im between that diskepper ultimate vs mofi... thinking mmm

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I did exactly the same thing, I am now using Diskeeper and have no intention to go back to MOFI. Frankly, I was kind of dissapointed with how mofi handled the whole issue.

15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes true! mofi even dont say ANYTHING! about this, they keep it secret... so bad.

but again, diskeeper is more heavy, you dont feel that is a downside? maybe the soft mofi is better for the disc.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Actually, I like that Diskeeper is more sturdy than Mofi, I think that it offers more protection and it's easier to slide in the record. After using Diskeeper for a year now the Mofi sleeves seem too flimsy.

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

How are Sleeve City's audiophile inner sleeves these days? http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-audiophile-inner-sleeve-50-pack-p/312nrps.htm

A few years ago I recall some people saying they had some sleeves that were too small for the vinyl.

I think the Mofi sleeves are still good after they resolved their problem. One thing I have noticed with Mofi sleeves is I never get seam splits with them. Now and then I will get seam splits with the QRP poly sleeves. I currently use Bags Unlimited rice paper poly sleeves and I like them. Though they flimsier than the Mofi, but I doubt it really matters since the vinyl isn't moving around in my rack and they are stored inside the jackets.

Gary C likes this.
  18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I get a response from mofi, maybe this is the final response:

Thank you for your message. I apologize that your sleeves left white residue on you records. Just to be clear, this residue does not cause any damage to the vinyl and can be cleaned off. All of the inner sleeves that we sell as well as Music Direct and other resellers are the latest version and do not have a residue. You should not ever experience this problem again with Mobile Fidelity sleeves. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

19. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Happy end?

20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

its seems yes! I continue buy the mofis... I like them.

21. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

I have been using MoFi sleeves successfully, and have never had the white residue problem. But my latest batch I bought from Amazon has a size issue - the sleeves are about 3-4 mm too high, visibly taller and confirmed to be so by overlaying on an older version. They still fit in an outer cover, but I had to struggle fitting them in a few inner picture sleeves, and I never had that issue before. I have 30 or so left in this pack and I am considering trimming them with a guillotine-style trimmer. I think there are some QC issues over at MoFi.

22. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Every time I've pulled out a record lately that's been cleaned within the past year or so, and sleeved in a Mofi sleeve, it looks like it was never cleaned, and if fact, touched directly with greasy fingers. One time, I figured it was a fluke. Then I noticed it over and over again. I remembered this thread about the whitish residue and figured this would be a good place to start. Does anyone else have an experience with this?

I went ahead and put a little pressure on the record with my fingers while it was in one of these sleeves, and it definitely left a residue that looked like an oily fingerprint on the record. So I'm sure it's the sleeves. I tried this with one of the sleeves from a batch I bought about a month ago and this didn't happen. So it had to have been a bad batch, about a year to a year and a half ago.

This sucks for two reasons - 1) I probably cleaned and sleeved about 100 records with these, as I bought two packs of fifty, so I have at least 100 records that will need to be cleaned again as I find them, and 2) chemicals are expensive, and not only did I waste a lot of money on chemicals, but my time as well.

I'm very disappointed! I even went as far as to blame my six year old for touching my records.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Mofi and get replacements? I think that's the least they owe me.

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, just email them and ask. You can find their customer service email on their website. The good news is that the residue comes off even with just isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Apparently they never fixed the issue! Shame!
    Contact them through Music Direct not through the MFSL website.

25. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

No, I think they did. My newest batch (bought within the last month or so) don't seem to do it. I was able to apply pressure to the sleeve while the record was in it, and an oil that looked like a fingerprint would transfer to the record. This would leave a mark on the sleeve where it was more translucent. The records I've noticed a problem with were cleaned about a year to a year and a half ago. At that time I had order two batches of 50 sleeves and some AIVS fluid and went on a cleaning spree. The records from said spree all seem to have this issue. All of the new ones seem fine. And the material on the new jackets seem slightly different than the ones with the problem.