MFSL lp "sealed"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by count.d, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. count.d

count.d Senior Member Thread Starter

I've just bought a "new/sealed" MFSL lp from a seller on Ebay.

I received the lp sealed in the original plastic bag, but on opening I find that the lp had two finger prints on the vinyl and a couple of faint spindle marks on the label. The vinyl had a small amount of dust indicating that it had been on a turntable at least once.

Did MFSL ever test vinyl before they sold it or did they sell vinyl that had been returned, then resealed?

Or have I been ripped off?

This lp was not cheap as you can imagine.

It was Beatles - Rubber Soul.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Was it in a loose-fitting bag or crinkly shrink? The latter was usually an MFSL reseal due to a return, etc. My Barry Manilow album came like that (don't ask)...

Todd

3. count.d

count.d Senior Member Thread Starter

Todd,

It was in a loose bag with an original MFSL sticker on the front.

Barry Manilow, why did you ....... never mind.

4. Todd Fredericks

count.d,

I'd have to guess then that it's the "human" element when MFSL made the records. I've had some sealed stuff from other labels that had that reality with similar markings. It happens. The main thing is the record mint & play mint?

Todd

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

MFSL LPs always came in loose bags...

6. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Who was the seller, send me a Private message if you would. I bought a sealed record from a guy on Ebay and the record inside was from another artist, I'm currently waiting for a refund.

7. Todd Fredericks

Yes, the new product (I believe) was always in loose-bags but sometimes when the got a return they would re-seal in crinkly shrink. There was a site somewhere on the net (big place) that explained the exact reasons why...

Todd

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I've bought LPs new in the store that had a spindle mark on the label. I think when LPs come off the press, they sometimes stack 'em on a big spindle to be taken to the folks who'll put 'em in inner sleeves...which could also explain the occasional fingerprint.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Still loose...Not tightly wrapped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.