MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Count me in too.

Lonson likes this.
  2. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Thanks, Lukpak. I did not know the Canadian and US mono LPs were different. That solves a personal mystery. I had a mono BoB that I bought for a dollar, new, in downtown Buffalo in 1973, right across the bridge from Canada. The organ fills between the lyrics of Sooner or Later were very prominent. I gave away my copy to the babysitter in the 80s after buying the CD (yeah, I know stereo v mono. It was dumb). When the CD and LP monos were released by SONY/ Sundazed, I was disappointed it was not there and I had begun to doubt my firm conviction that something was not right in the mix. Appendix C says the Canadian version had a louder organ than the US mono.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Folks, please remember that this thread concerns the SACD release, not the LP. Please post your comments concerning your thoughts on the LP in the MFSL LP thread.
    Thanks!

4. We now have six of the seven slated mono SACD titles. Let’s go with last one already!

Lonson likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really really like these mono SACDs. That said, I'm glad to have both stereo and mono SACDs of the six we have. Though overall the earliest albums sound best to me in mono, especially the first, some tracks sound fantastic in stereo, for example "The Ballad of Hollis Brown." I like being able to listen to the stereo SACD one time, the mono the next, etc.

Bring on the seventh and add "Blonde on Blonde" to the queue!

6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I’m sure as with Miles Smiles coming after all the other Miles titles, they’ll be doing Blonde On Blonde mono in the next round of titles. At least I hope so!

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Any more recents thoughts on this release?

8. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I might try again next week.

9. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Is the DR/loudness improved? I don't think any version of Highway 61 has a good DR score but I'm really tempted to buy the MFSL Highway 61 mono if it's a decent upgrade from the 2010 mono CD

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Agreed. I love all of the 6 we have in mono and stereo. Only the really extreme stereo of the debut is unsettling but if I leave the room it sounds fine. I guess for the cd and sacd format the MFSL of these 7 albums (when Another Side gets released hopefully this year) will be the definitive mono and stereo versions.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

24bit in 1997 is doubtful but possible. Maybe 20bit as DATs could record at that resolution at the time.

12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes Infidels is a digital recording on what I believe then was a new system (for want of a better word). My understanding is that finding a set up that can play back these recordings was not straightforward for Sony when sorting out Dylan's catalogue (a bit like hunting round for a betamax video player). Anyone from the industry with any knowledge/help in explaining?

13. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I think every objective Hi-Fi measurement would favour the MoFi SACD. The sound is better balanced (less top heavy with more prominent mid-range) and the top is also less shrill.

I'm just not a fan of the bass thump found on some of the rockers (Subterranean Homesick Blues especially). It sounds "added" and not "excavated" if that makes sense.

But again, I think most will like it better.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. I find the bass on the Mono box mastering to have plenty of bass, so I think I will pass on the Mofi.

15. David del Toro

Anyone care to post some waveforms of the MOFI Highway 61 Revisited mono?

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone else compare the Mofi HW61 mono SACD to the CD in the original mono recordings box set?

SOONERFAN likes this.
  17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Big DITTO on this one!

Spitfire and Lonson like this.
  18. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Double Ditto.

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I can tell you I found it to be lower in volume than the Sony Mono. From Day 1 I did not like the Sony mono's and feel the MFSL mono's are a nice improvement.

David del Toro likes this.
  20. Any idea when the last slated mono in the series is going to be released? Seems to be taking quite a long time.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. David del Toro

Most SACD's have lower volume than redbook CD's

23. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I received this notice today from Amazon regarding "Another Side of Dylan" Mono - SACD

We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Dylan, Bob "Another Side of Bob Dylan"
    Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.
    We've cancelled this item from your order.
    Your order is now closed.

24. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

:(

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm, let's wait and see if it disappears from the Music Direct site. I've sent them a message about it - will get back if/when I get a reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.