MFSL Vinyl Derek and the Dominos: Layla Reissue*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paully, Aug 1, 2017.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Because, comparatively, there are some fanTAStic, crystal clear rock and roll recordings from the 1970s - Tommy, Let It Bleed, Allman Brothers Live At The Fillmore East, Led Zeppelin II, Moondance, for example. The best pressings of those records are close to demo quality. Layla, on the other hand, is somewhat closed in and rolled off on top in comparison. It can be prretty dynamic and full sounding, and that allows the performances to really come through. I will be able to listen to the MoFi sometime soon, as dkurtis has sent me his on a loan to listen to. But suggesting that the sound of 1970s rock recordings as a genre is what we're talking out, you're mistaken. I'm glad you like the record and the way it sounds. For sheer clarity, though, there are better rock recordings.

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Here's my thinking on this, FWIW. First, let me say I have ordered my copy and it is suppose to be here on Tuesday. I think everyone on this thread needs to separate two things: there is the music with the recording of it. The songs are the songs, either you love or like them or you don't. There is only one studio recording of this album with Eric, Duane and the Dominos. There is no going back and doing it over again. I view all of this as thing one. The second thing is the MFSL release of the album on vinyl. This second thing is what this tread is about. We should post about reviewing it, comparing it and discussing it.

If you feel that spending $40 - $50 on a copy of this album is not worth it because you feel that the is something wrong with the music, or the musicians, or the recording or any combination of these that is OK, there is nothing wrong with that opinion, but I think that those post would be better served in a thread about album itself and not in this thread. This is not new music and I do not think there is any danger that someone on this thread is not already familiar with this album.

Jeff Edwards, ggjjr and DJ LX like this.
  3. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I though they went back to the recording studios again....so this is the same album only remastered? It was my understanding that they re-recorded all of the songs.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

They tried but Jim, Carl and Duane wouldn't show up for one reason or another. So they just put this one out again.

5. Tony Plachy

You always have to have a couple of Jokers in every deck. :sigh: :winkgrin:

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

They tried, but Duane's Guitar tone was a bit off.

7. AnalogJ

You had me until you mentioned the recording itself. That is extremely important to the discussion as you can't squeeze water from a stone. Whatever MoFi can get out of it can only be as good as the original recording.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's a discussion board and we're discussing. The subject is pertinent.

If the thread was exclusive to opinions from people who've listened to it, there would only be a dozen posts in it.

9. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

That would be convenient.

10. chacha

Or less. Very few here have it as yet.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

I'll add this - It IS possible to slightly improve upon an original recording. Steve Hoffman has talked about it before.

But overall, there are certain characteristics that have to dealt with as is.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Slightly? Have you heard the DCC reissue of Wheels of Fire or even the SHM SACD of it?

13. Tony Plachy

This is one tough crowd. :hide:

Rickchick and dkurtis like this.
  14. AnalogJ

What i meant to say was to improve a mediocre recording. An album that was done in by bad mastering to begin with is another story.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nah. It'd be a boring place if there'd be such a microscopic amount of participation.

16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I agree with you. But, like you said this is a different record and I think the vibe is different. I think it works for this album. Don't know why it has the atmosphere it has but I think this is the best it's going to sound.

In my opinion, most rock recordings from the 70s are heavy in the minds, which isn't surprising since it is the decade of the electric guitar. Plus it was probably hard to see the mixing board under all that white stuff...

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not a great recording either. SH hit it out of the park on the DCC.

18. AnalogJ

But, then, was it really a bad recording to begin with?

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes. Have you heard it?

Tom Dowd. Need I say more.

Chemguy likes this.
  20. Yeah but when we were young and bought it when it came out I don't recall anyone hating its sound. We cranked it all the time and thought it fantastic.

Not until audiophiles latched into it, that it and the Tom Dowd rock records sort of got trashed.

But I guess that could be said about tons of records we grew up with. .

levi and Tommyboy like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I also need to qualify, I don't remember if Tom Dowd was involved with the live portion of the album.

And when I was young I loved my Beatles Capitol albums. It is the music first, but this is an audiophile forum...

hiterss and Flaming Torch like this.
  22. chacha

I always thought Wheels of Fire sounded lousy. Even when I was 13. That's the record referenced, correct?

hiterss and Tommyboy like this.
  23. I was referencing Layla. Sometimes it's hard following threads when comments don't reference a specific album.

In terms if Wheels I just loved the liveness. Didn't think of bad sound back then.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes

chacha likes this.
  25. chacha

It sounds like crap. Thin, threadbare. Drums sound like cardboard etc.

Tommyboy likes this.