MFSL vinyl hit and miss list*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fender Relic, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Talking MFSL vinyl here. I'm going to be shopping a well-stocked MFSL location soon and wondered if there's a thread or consensus short list of what are considered the major triumph MFSL's and ones that are not. The best of the best and ones that don't measure up to or exceed originals or other versions.

VinylCountdown, Heckto35 and baracuda like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hit-
    Supertramp-Breakfast In America
    Sisters of Mercy-Floodland

3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Folk Singer is the best MFSL pressing I have, or have heard.
    Exodus is my second favourite

4. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Hit

Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach, Brothers And Sisters.

5. stem

stem Forum Resident

On the Supertramp theme: Crime Of The Century.

Also, may I be so bold as to suggest every Bob Dylan release of the (relatively) recent campaign.

Chemguy, Joey_Corleone and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

Members have mentioned the MFSL Pixies titles to be pretty stellar.
    Going by the SACD's they are probably spot on

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The Band's Music From Big Pink and their self titled (the brown album) is the only game in town if you exclude the Capitol reissue. I also have the 45 rpm Santana which I like a lot. I would suggest just about any MFSL title still currently in circulation because they exert the best quality control from their pressing vendor (RTI) and out of about 30 titles I have none that have any major issues.

8. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Hit

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

9. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Not sure if you're going to pick up on NEW MFSL vinyl or old. So I'll talk about new that I personally own.

HIT:
    The Band Brown Album
    Bill Withers greatest hits (very smooth open sound. Fun album)
    Bob Dylan -- all stereo albums. Haven't heard the monos yet.
    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow mono

MISS:
    Miles Davis Kind of Blue 45. (It's just not an improvement over past pressings!)
    Weeze Blue Album (it's just missing a certain punch. I prefer the original CD)

Fender Relic likes this.
  10. Fender Relic

Ah,good question old or new, I'm not up to speed on MFSL hence my thread. I only have a few,favorite being Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown. Is there an easy way to tell new from old on sealed ones cause the store I'm going to had old stock from another store and new mixed in...I think. I only had 10 minutes to look around and chat the guy up so just got a brief overview but I know where the candy store is now so...lookout!

Parkertown likes this.
  11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I break it down to three gens.
    The JPN pressed super vinyl issues.
    The 2oo anadisc issues
    The modern pressings, which also incorporate the Silver series and 45 series.
    Perhaps the Silver and 45rpm issues need a separate category? :shrug:
    While I find that very few sound bad...it is all all relative as to what you are comparing them to as to how good they are.
    Resale value is however very high, no debating that!

12. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Hit:

First MFSL LP that crossed my mind:

Jean Michel Jarre - "Oxygene"

There's a night and day difference between "Oxygene IV" on the MFSL LP and CD.

TimB, Beamish13 and Vinylfindco like this.
  13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

That "Breakfast In America' LP is from 1982. Mofi has announced another, new BiA Lp to be released sometime this year.

hi_watt, SibilanceSegs and DanBNash like this.
  14. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I own most of the MFSL titles released on vinyl in the last ten years and in my view there has only been one miss in that time - Dixie Chicken / Little Feat. A great shame as it's a wonderful album the Speakers Corner version is great though.

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'Sundown' was only issued by MFSL once [in 1979]. So any copies of 'Sundown' on the Mobile Fidelity label are going to be "old". The Friday Music label also recently re-issued it. (Friday Music generally does not enjoy a very good reputation on the SH Forum. If interested in that re-issue, you should do a 'search' to see if anyone reviewed the SQ for the Friday 'Sundown'.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    John Bliss likes this.
  16. c-eling

OP did not specify a year, and that is the one I have, therefore I put it on the Hit list :cheers:

videoman likes this.
  17. bunceman

bunceman Member

Read some not so great reviews about a few of those Little Feat MFSL. That's a shame. I have some beat up original US pressings that still sound surprisingly good, especially Feats Don't Fail Me Now.

john lennonist likes this.
  18. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Sailin Shoes, Little Feat and Waiting For Colombus are all brilliant it was just Dixie Chicken that was lifeless and dull.

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Just in case the original post-er does know...

From 1977 - 1999, Mobile Fidelty Sound Lab re-issued LPs (and CDs). This is what was referred to the "old" LPs previously in the thread and is known by the abbreviation 'MFSL'. The company went bankrupt in 1999. In 2001, it was purchased by Music Direct (a music retailer) and revived. This is what was referred as the "new" LPs previously in the thread. This revived company is generally referred to by the abbreviation 'Mofi'.

ODShowtime, Slice, Faceman and 4 others like this.
  20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Sci-Fi Kid and Fender Relic like this.
  21. Fender Relic

Is one more desirable or seemingly better than the other? MFSL VS. Mofi.

22. Fender Relic

PatrickG likes this.
  23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

You have to judge on individual titles. Their re-issues are of a limited run. So, the old catalogue was not carried over to the revived company. The releases of recent years [Mofi] have generally been praised.

BTW, there should be a list of their catalogue since 2001 somewhere on the web, but I can't find it at the moment.

24. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I've got a few hundred Mobile Fidelity titles - I've never heard of the split between being called MFSL/MOFI. But there is a definite split between the early years and later years.

The older titles run the gamut from great to meh. Use the suggestions in this thread as a guide.
    The newer titles are usually outstanding. Some might have quibbles, but they are a generally a very safe bet. Some of the best work of the 21st century. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
    Happy hunting!

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

There was also the interim incarnation labeled 200 Anadisc that was between the first bankruptcy am MD's purchase.
    Also on the miss list, and a big one IMO is Sticky Fingers, at least the non box release.