MFSL vinyl hit and miss list*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fender Relic, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I think it's a corporate logo/ legal thing since 2001. They call themselves MoFi in their emails to me and their email address is @mofi.com. Note, they also refer to themselves on their website as 'MoFi'. Generally, I have noticed that collectors use MFSL and MoFi to distinguish between the two eras.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Inc.| Audiophile Vinyl, CD, SACD »

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh no...another vinyl black hole! I might have opened up a can of Whoop-A** on myself.

ODShowtime and mikedifr0923 like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

No split like that - that I am aware of. All of their cat. numbers use MFSL.

Tremaindous likes this.
  4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Off the top of my head, here are some MoFi vinyl titles that, in my experience, are preferable to any other pressing, vintage or otherwise:

Santana - Abraxas Ultradisc
    Sinatra - Where Are You? (recent mono)
    Sinatra - Sings For Only The Lonely (recent mono)
    Sinatra - No One Cares (recent reissue)
    Sinatra - Swingin' Session (recent reissue)
    Sinatra - Point of No Return (recent reissue)
    Sinatra - The Concert Sinatra
    Sinatra's Sinatra
    Sinatra at the Sands
    Sinatra - A Jolly Christmas (from the silver box)
    Spinners - Spinners
    Bobby Darin - Love Swings
    Dean Martin - This Time I'm Swinging

Notice how it's mostly Sinatra, and not much rock other than the Ultradisc Santana.

Honorable Mention:

Here are some other excellent and recommendable MoFi's. However, I have managed to find other pressings which I think sound at least a bit better than these.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Jack Hunt cut, not the others)
    Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    YES - Close To The Edge
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

I would even disagree with some of the other suggestions in this thread, as the MoFi vinyl might sound quite enjoyable, but is significantly bettered by one or more other pressings. Some artists, like the Band and Elvis Costello are well served by the Mofi pressings, but top originals are my preference, etc.

5. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I think you can pretty much say that newer is better. I can think of only a handful of the original, pressed in Japan, titles that were any good. Nice quiet vinyl though. The 200g Anadisc series were better but still a bit hit or miss. The newest stuff is really excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a newly released title if I liked the music.

They have made tremendous strides in their mastering chain and mastering engineers for that matter.

6. Slick Willie

:biglaugh:
    Maybe....
    While most all sound nice, I usually prefer an early original easily over their offerings. Having said that, the ones mastered by Wunderlich I find very nice and can purt compete with what was.
    The first gen Supervinyl was absolutely the finest vinyl compound ever produced....shame it can no longer be made.
    And again, resale value!!!!!! Hard to loose money on a MoFi purchase!!!!

ODShowtime likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Not familiar with Sinatra on MoFi, but would debate the Santana.....the KC's are purt good....then lawd-have-mercy there on the one step!!!!

8. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Not to nitpick too much, but Sinatra Jolly Christmas was a single record release. Either that or I got robbed in my Silver Sinatra Box. :eek:

MLutthans and TLMusic like this.
  9. TLMusic

Do you have an original KC of Abraxas that sounds better than the Ultradisc one step? I'd be impressed, if so.

10. TLMusic

:thumbsup: Thanks, you're totally right, it's a stand alone release from 1983.

I got confused because there's an extra slot in the silver box, and that's where I store Jolly Christmas.

11. Slick Willie

No, the subject was the KC vs the standard MoFi. The one step is a whole 'nudder beast!!!

TLMusic likes this.
  12. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Natalie Merchant-Tigerlily

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Hits
    CSNY deja vu
    Eat Peach both versions
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Heart Beat City
    Trick of the Tail
    Brothers and Sisters/New version
    Close to the Edge
    By the Light of the Moon
    Kiko
    filmore East/New version
    Brothers in Arms 45rpm
    Candy-O

black sheriff and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. Slick Willie

I recently sold a Close To The Edge...so......guess it's subject to what one has been exposed to...so...

15. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Agreed, big time miss. One of the first MOFIs I bought back in the day. The SHM SACD kills it

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Hit

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Supertamp - Crime of the Century

Chemguy and john lennonist like this.
  17. Slick Willie

I have the Hybrid and the SHM SACD, both are great! Also have the grail - a UK Sax cut!

18. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

As much as I hate to say it....big miss on Grateful Dead Live/Dead. IMO weird mix, soundstage is so different than the original, just sounds wrong.

On the other hand they killed it on Wake of the Flood & 45 RPM versions of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Not quite as good as the green label WB but clean and more than acceptable if you can't find an original.

attym, Dennis0675, Faceman and 2 others like this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The entire run of Bob Dylan reissues by MoFi has been first rate.

Chemguy, JFSebastion, jlf and 4 others like this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The MoFi New Morning is outstanding, but the gatefold jacket is an unnecessary touch.

Chemguy likes this.
  22. Marc Perman

Agreed on Live/Dead, the MoFi pales compared to the W7 copy I replaced it with. Ditto on "Skull & Roses," the MoFi sounds mushy compared to a green label original. Wake of the Flood is quite good.

23. Marc Perman

I've complained about MoFi's modern reissues before: beautifully pressed and packaged but frequently missing that last bit of transparency. Their house sound if you will tends to have the highs just a bit rolled off. I do like their early Elvis Costellos, but the U.K. originals have much more punch; the MoFis sound polite by comparison. The 2xLP Get Happy! is a thing of beauty, I'll admit.

The Hits then for me are Get Happy!, Dylan's New Morning, and Chicago II. Misses are This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Eat A Peach and Idlewild South by the Allman Brothers, and Live/Dead and Skull & Roses by the Grateful Dead, all were surpassed by early originals.

mpayan, Cassius and Slick Willie like this.
  24. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Miss: David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

aoxomoxoa, dogpile and Dave like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

...and Linda Ronstadt Prisoner In Disguise is awful...a very rare misstep. I own a ton of MFSL on vinyl, both from the 80's and current, and I agree with you. That is the only miss I have heard, and your's would make two. Pretty impressive run for sure! And I don't ever remember a defective pressing issue. I treasure my collection of their product. As others have mentioned, Supertramp Crime of the Century is a must, and so is Elton John's Yellow Brick Road....if he has one for sale. I have all the Hall and Oates and all of them are great. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Al Stewart's Year of the Cat is spectacular. I think you can generally say that if the standard issue sounded good, especially an audiophile oriented album like Year of the Cat, you can almost count on the MFSL to be a real treat! They have done wonders on some borderline titles as well, like the Raspberries Greatest Hits, songs that sound notoriously bad but somehow MFSL managed to make that album sound much better.