Michael Fremer defends Hi-Res digital while chewing out Gizmodo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by violetvinyl, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's all twisted. Anyone who sits down and compares the CD with the master knows that they are different in sound.

Also, all that bass slashing and goosing of the vinyl does not have to be done today, if the cutting engineer has the skill.

Also, if the vinyl or CD sounds (subjectively) better than the hi-rez, it is probably because they didn't use the best master for the hi-rez, or they actually did a better master on the vinyl or CD. I will go on record saying that I am not impressed with, for example, most of the Chic and Eagles catalog in hi-rez. In the Eagles case, I am convinced that the tapes needed goosing in the mastering, and, in the case of Chic, they used LP production masters. I don't know if that was all the label had, or if the engineers were ordered to use what they did.

Sorry for the thread drift and rambling, but that's been on my mind.

apesfan likes this.
  2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I travel a lot and the 85 bucks spent on the TSA Pre program has been awesome. But seriously, I never take anything that will get me searched. I just don't bother. I never check luggage, and on the rare occasion that I think I might need to check something home, I stop at kinkos and fed ex ground it home. Not worth the hassle.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Just don't tell them you are an audiophile. TSA hates audiophiles. They may drag you into the back room and make you listen to the entire Fresh Air catalog for 48 hours straight. :D

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, ubiknik, Dan C and 6 others like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I was visiting the parents for a month. Can't be without good music and good sound for a month. So I packed up a Schiit Lyr and my Audeze's in my carry-on. :D

My Lyr is about to be made redundant. Instead of selling it I'll keep it at the parent's place. And I'll look at Oppo headphones as transportable headphones instead of the Audeze's. Next trip out to the parent's place will be lighter.

6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Analogue master tape is still wonderful for Rock much less so for classical
    Digital file master is perfect for classical
    CD standard is more than adequate
    Hi Res especially MQA codec is very clever
    Vinyl is not a perfect medium, by a very long way, however it has many keen and devotional adherents, who cannot be swayed by science and common sense.

apesfan, rhubarb9999, Jim N. and 2 others like this.
  7. Scott Wheeler

Science and common sense both have proven objectively beyond any reasonable doubt that vinyl enthusiasts simply have better taste :cool: oh, and are smarter. :angel:

jriems and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  8. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Smart, according to Wikipedia Scott, is a mnemonic acronym meaning specific and measurable
    Not something normally applied to vinylists

9. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

10. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I just had intense flashbacks of business school readings! you could've also mentioned the R is for realistic. Ha ha!

11. moops

moops Senior Member

Why stop there ? ..... a cactus tonearm !

[​IMG]

crispi, Grant and Summerisle like this.
  12. Scott Wheeler

Those who prefer vinyl know better than to rely on Wikipedia. We use books. :cool:

kBear likes this.
  13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I hate gizmodo, but I hate fremer as well. I don't know what to do with myself!

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You might as well hate yourself and go for the trifecta.

15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I think that's already a prerequisite for membership here.

martinb4 and moops like this.
  16. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Has that needle been cryogenically treated??! ;)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. violetvinyl

violetvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Given Fremer's apparent deep-seeded need, after telling the unfortunate author that his position is "BS" and he has no brain, to brag about his having done so on his little website, I think that, in illustrating his rant with a picture of a brain, he selected the wrong bodily organ.

19. violetvinyl

violetvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've only been following Mikey for about a year but it seems like he's painting himself in a corner lately and it's not even his corner.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

He has nothing to worry about.

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Mike Fremer has, to his credit, been carrying the torch for good quality sound for a long time. He was an outspoken advocate of vinyl and analog during the low point of home hi-fi. I can acknowledge his contributions as a writer while recognizing that he sometimes does himself a disservice by his nastiness. In the instances I have corresponded with him, he has been a gentleman, and though I don't always agree with his views on particular recordings, I think he does more good than harm, in spite of the invective. I'm staying out of the fray on the Pono thing, though: I commend NYoung for trying to step up the game of high quality sound for the masses, but as we know from the many format wars of the past, both audio and video, quality isn't always the deciding factor. Think about the resurgence of vinyl in the last few years as an example: I don't think it was marketing, or even fashion, or cultural 'hipness' that gave it a bump. People got to experience it for themselves and make a decision about where to invest their money.
    Given all the changes in the music business in the last few years, including delivery mechanisms, how income is shared and who gets paid, I think it is harder than ever to introduce a new format or platform that is going to be readily adopted by consumers. And, for what it's worth, I 'get' why people listening on earbuds might prefer a pumped up sound to one that is more 'natural.' I suspect the market for high quality portables is somewhat limited. I wish Fremer and NYoung the best, and will follow the continued roll-out with interest.

readingm and 56GoldTop like this.
  22. meadow

meadow Active Member

For cost performance, Gizmodo is probably right. I think there is only tiny little SQ difference between iPod and Pono for average music lover.
    Spending money for the headphones or speakers would make them happier.

I personally don't really care about Hirez portable players, but if they would help to spread the high resolution movement, it's great.
    I really wish to see high resolution streaming service (at least CD quality) on Spotify or Pandora someday.

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

-so magnetic tape is bad for acoustic, or real instruments but good for electrically amplified instruments...ok?

-for what?

-ok.

-exactly what is 'perfect'? -Science makes me think of glorious Monsanto and a myriad of industry entities that wave that flag of science for the greater good (pharmaceutical conglomerates, FDA, EPA and ..well you get it), of course science is always correct and used wisely... Common sense, well you may be on to something there, but I feel more like a vinyl lover is someone who doesn't mind rolling up their sleeves to enjoy some music. Let's say vinyl is like building a model train system as a hobby, with the hills and the whole town built around it (the pre, the cart., deck variables, cleaning, etc.). That train will run on that track for sure anyway, and with a history that goes back to the early 20th century, you also have a lot of aesthetic variables and an arcane knowledge base that becomes second nature to add to it.
    CD enthusiasts are I don't know, more like the Matchbox/Hot Wheel car collector hobbyist that takes care to save the box and store it all correctly, granted there is some history to them, but ..ok. Apples and Oranges -so why bother comparing?
    As the vinyl enthusiast I tempt Murphy's Law and wonder why I quote posts that don't even belong here in the first place.. -oh that's right, I have no common sense.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Scott Wheeler and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  24. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Much as I'd love to convince the whole world that an amazing hifi system is a necessity, precious few people buy it. In the 35 years that I have had a great system, especially the last 10 since starting TONE, it always goes the same way. The unknowing always sit on the couch, listen to the system, comment it's most amazing thing they've ever heard, they've never heard music sound like that, etc etc. Then when they find out what it all costs, they say "I'd never spend that kind of money on a music system..."

I think in the last 35 years, I personally know about 20 people that have inherited the bug from me. that's about it.

25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Smart could also refer to someone's attire or pain.
    Haven't seen nor heard of it being applied to vinylphobic preachers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.