Michael Nesmith 2013 Fall Tour!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

People aren't mad about the price. There were plenty of people happy to pay the bucks for a pass. People are mad because the website was completely screwed up during the whole process before going down totally. It is admittedly odd that many of the "usual suspects" somehow got through while others didn't even stand a chance.

I'm still curious as to how my venue was not even listed as available at 11:00 and was completely sold out at 11:02 despite my being persistent. Yes, I extremely upset about that despite Nesmith's Facebook apology.

Hawkman likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

According to Video Ranch on Facebook, some more passes will available for the venues that haven't sold out, including the Bay Shore show. The passes will go on sale 2pm pacific time. I wish everyone going for the passes luck.

(P.S.: I'm not going to the Bayshore show, so that should increase chances for folks trying for those) ;)

GV1967 likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Just... Can't Justify..... Hundred......... Dollerzzzzzzz.........AAAARRRrrrggghhhhh

Iceman08 likes this.
  4. FredV

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Here is what Springsteen charges to meet and greet, sign and take pictures with his fans who often number MORE than 20 when they stand at the side door during load-in and load-out at rehearsals and in all sorts of inclement weather AFTER a three hour plus performance....

ZERO!!!!!!

No passes required and he is happy to do it. So let's skip the 'what a bargain this is' and let's start asking why the 'hundred dollar handshake' when he could do what Springsteen does for FREE all the time with the same considerations (venue staff, security, etc) that Nesmith has and does it until everyone is satisfied.

And for what it is worth, it cost me $30 for Davy, $30 for Micky and $30 for Peter to have them sign my copy of Pisces at various fan conventions where EVERYONE had a chance and not the same select few who seem to lock others out all the time.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Iceman08, Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Fair point, Hawkman - that can't be argued. That said, Bruce is probably the ultimate showman of the rock era; Nesmith, on the other hand, has been largely reclusive for the last 30 years. Their personalities seem to be total opposites - I can see why Nez might want to forge something more in his own comfort zone as far as pressing the flesh is concerned.

Plus, some Monkees fans can be wicked geeks. Can you really blame him? ;)

7. Hawkman

Also a fair point but considering the extremely limited spots for each show, if someone already had that opportunity in the Spring, step aside and let someone else have a shot this time. Not only would I have staggered the on sale times for the passes, I would have excluded those who bought in the Spring to give others a fair shot.

Recluse or not....stand at the stage door and sign. Springsteen did it at the side door of The Wonderbar in Asbury Park after the Light of Day shows two years ago when I saw it. It was 4 A.M. and the temperatures were below freezing. He stood and signed until everyone was happy. I'm not buying this 'recluse' stuff. Sorry.

905 and bluejeanbaby like this.
  8. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Oh yeah? Well thanks to YOU, I am going to the Bay Shore show and got TWO passes!

Thank you, Freddington! Yee haa!

:)

DanielCT likes this.
  9. FredV

You're welcome Sir, glad it turned out well for you. :)

GV1967 and DanielCT like this.
  10. Don't hit me but I got a pass to the 2nd Chicago show in the initial Saturday offering... and I am the opposite of an insider. I just got the bright idea to try the search box when my show didn't appear in the dropdown list. In fact, IMHO this is conclusive proof the man has never read my blog, elsewise I'd likely be on the "Do Not Meet" list. ;-) Gotta love sheer dumb luck...

Iceman08 and DanielCT like this.
  11. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Does Nez ever sign stuff after the shows for folks who don't buy the meet & greets? I've got a CD that Davy signed in 1993 and Peter signed in 2007. I'd like to get Mike and Micky's signatures while there's still a chance!

12. Hawkman

:)

From what I am told, Nez is a big fan of the 'Hundred Dollar Handshake' and doesn't sign stuff before or after shows without the passes talked about here. I was told not to even bother trying to get him sign walking into or out of the theater and that he 'just doesn't do it'.

13. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Nope. I'm torn over the concept of the pricey meet and greet, but when I see obvious eBay goons with stacks of CD booklets signed by the other three looking to get the fourth signature just to flip it online, I understand Nesmith's position at least a little.

DanielCT likes this.
  14. DanielCT

DanielCT New Member

Very, very happy for you Fandom Lenses - the concert & pass will be a great reward for busting your rear at your studies. Your search box tip helped a lot of people out!

Arob71 - I don't think Nez signs after the shows apart from the meet & greets. Actually I can't think of the last time he signed anything apart from during the meet and greets or through Videoranch. As far back as I can remember he's been really tough about signing stuff. By far the toughest of the Monkees.

15. Hawkman

Yeah. Screw it. I'll let my Pisces go with three signatures. Between the same people getting passes and others getting shut out...and $100...that's the best I'm gonna do. I'm lucky to have those three. The cool thing about getting those autographs was being able to thank them personally for all of the laughs and all of the great music...which they genuinely appreciated hearing so to those that do have passes, please remember to say 'thank you' for the music.

Iceman08 and DanielCT like this.
  16. Hawkman

Do tell... :)

17. BadJack

I got two passes for the last tour, one for me and one for my wife, and I got one for my wife yesterday. I don't need one, really. I met him, he was nice, I got stuff signed, and I have a nice picture. No need to be greedy!

But believe me, if I'm in the Nesmith in crowd, it's news to me!

18. Hawkman

Well obviously I'm not in the Nesmith crowd either! :) But to EVERYONE who got passes, enjoy the moment!! It is special. :righton:

DanielCT and BadJack like this.
  19. Given the stories I've heard of some of these folks' behavior (with Nez in particular, but other celebrities I like also), makes me glad I've never been deeply into collecting pokemon autographs. I hope to get Neftoon Zamora signed and Maybe Live at the Britt (my two biggest sentimental favorites of his), and I might bring something for a BFF who didn't get lucky with a pass, but that's it. I deliberated on my old vinyl copy of Headquarters, but given I can now no longer get the whole set :-(, I think I'll skip the Monkee swag altogether.

It was worth a shot. I don't think it was some sort of "secret illegitimate backdoor" like some people were alleging later--just bad web design.

And that's my understanding as well--meet and greets are your only chance for autographs unless you buy from his site. And you know, I just don't think that's particularly unreasonable. He strikes me as a basically decent guy with understandably strong personal boundaries, and he knows that if he bent the rules for one person, he'd promptly get swarmed. Not to mention that until not all that long ago he didn't even seem to want to TALK about the Monkees era, much less allow himself to be overly associated with it. While I didn't always agree with the way he dealt with the issue *cough1997reunioncough*, I understand his logic, and honestly probably would have made similar choices in his shoes. Not to say the man hasn't...er...overcharged his fans in the past--I have vague memories of a $200 pair of Moccasins or some such on the site around the time TLSHONZ came out. Nonetheless. nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy a ticket.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to say that won't boil down to repeating Thank you ad nauseum for the 3-5 minutes I'll likely have with the man. Might ask if he's got a good Douglas Adams story. :) (sidebar--I have NEVER gotten a pass before, and in the unlikely event there's another tour I don't intend to try for another one).

I've just written more reviews/analyses regarding him and his one-time bandmates over the past year and a half than is probably wise/sane given my to-do list. I keep half-expecting a C&D.

Ditto--aside from friending him on facebook I probably thought of the man a handful of times between 2002 and 2012, and have been on Vr3D exactly twice (for the Circe Link show and last Saturday).

Iceman08 and Hep Alien like this.
  20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

These days, Nez may be cynical about autographs (I agree with BadJack's assessment of people selling them online) but after his show at the Lonestar Roadhouse in NYC in 1992, he didn't charge a thing and greeted everyone cordially. He signed my "Tantamount To Treason" CD (yes, I still have it), spoke for a brief moment and took a photo. OK. That was 21 years ago. I also met him in 1999 at his book signing in NYC where- all he asked- was for each person to buy the book as that was all he would sign (rightfully so). Who knows what he's had to endure for so many years? Someone pointed out the plethora of Monkee geeks who get way out of hand with these guys (and I say some Monkees get way out of line with Monkee fans but we won't get into that). Excellent point. I've seen it first hand and can understand why he might want to be cautious. The guy is 70 years old. Hell, I am 46 and I am beyond sick of people's stupidity. Last time, it was 25 and now it's 20 per show as he wants to spend more time with each person. Even if I hadn't been able to get a pass, I like that notion. As for paying $100.00, it's the same scenario for Beatle geeks blindly paying $450.00 and up to see Paul McCartney in concert (for the umpteenth time) or someone spending $3,000.00 on a Mac computer etc. If you believe it's worth it, then more power to you. In the distant past, I've spent more than $100.00 a night at bars just so I could p-ss it out an hour later. Real smart. With that in mind, Nesmith can have a bean for some time to chat, an autograph and a photo that I will enjoy for many, many, many years to come. I missed the passes for the last solo tour. Thankfully, FredV & Linda came to my rescue by getting my Canadian mono "Birds & Bees" LP autographed (making it the "grand slam").

However, Saturday's technical nonsense is still irritating and rightfully so.

21. BadJack

I can't argue that. Videoranch still hasn't replied to my wife's email asking why a pass for Fall River, MA, suddenly turned into Austin, TX, in the literally 10 seconds before the site went down entirely.

22. Hawkman

I'm beginning to think that FredV is either a magician or a time traveler. I see him at ALL of these things. He definitely has some type of magical power. :) God bless him! Very nice that he did that for you. He didn't have to. I flirted with the idea of offering HIM $100 and a free dinner before the show for him and his sweetie if they took my Pisces album to get that fourth signature for me at Bergen PAC. But then I realized that his PM box is probably chock full of such offers and that his 'one Monkees piece' quota was probably already filled. :)

But...the offer is on the table should he want $100 and a pre-show dinner for three. :)

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that he underestimated the popularity of these passes.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    Hep Alien likes this.
  23. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to say that won't boil down to repeating Thank you ad nauseum for the 3-5 minutes I'll likely have with the man. Might ask if he's got a good Douglas Adams story. :) (sidebar--I have NEVER gotten a pass before, and in the unlikely event there's another tour I don't intend to try for another one).

Ask him what menu item he recommends at Will's Fargo Dining House and Saloon in Carmel. Bet'cha he won't get that questioned asked too often.
    :frog:

Iceman08, Hep Alien and Fandom Lenses like this.
  24. Hawkman

Nez.jpg
    I read your blog and you had me when you mentioned the 'iPad block'. Attached is a shot of my front row center view from March in Rahway, NJ. Decades of wait to see one of my musical heroes play and this is what I got. It was actually funny after a while and very ironic. :)

25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Yikes! That view sucks! You would have done better further back with a cheaper seat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.