Michael Nesmith planning short U.S. tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

They will line you up after the show, and you simply wait yourr turn...you can bring one Monkee item to get signed, and/or multiple Nez items. You can get a photo of you together with your own camera. He will generally chat with you a bit. It wasn't rushed at all.

I was towards the back of the line though and I noted he was getting tired , he was leaning some on the table (he stands, not sits) and after having stood for over 90 minutes on stage I rather hurried myself, but he was quite friendly in spite of it. The other band members wandered the lobby as well, which was nice for complimenting them.

2. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

Thanks very much, Mister Charlie. I look forward to the show and the chance to meet the man.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  3. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I agree. I was captivated for 10 songs, then the pacing bothered me a bit. I thought it would have been easily remedied by adding something Nesmith wrote for the Monkees near the end of the set. I understand that he was playing "Tapioca Tundra" rather than "Waves" in his UK sets...I think that would have been perfect. Still, an enjoyable show.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  4. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

Now that Nez has returned to performing he seems to have created 2 separate identities, "Michael Nesmith Singer Songwriter" and "Mike Nesmith of the Monkees", they even billed him as Mike on the Monkees tour posters in December. To me his songs are a life's work, You Just May Be The One sits comfortably next to Joanne, Rio etc. I wish he would take a McCartney approach and play the full extent of his catalogue. In case anyone is interested, this is my fantasy Nez set:

Papa Gene's Blues
    Sweet Young Thing
    Girl I Knew Somewhere
    You Just May Be The One
    Sunny Girlfriend
    Tapioca Tundra
    Listen To The Band
    Little Red Rider
    Joanne
    Silver Moon
    Propinquity
    Some Of Shelley's Blues
    Texas Morning
    Winonah
    Two Different Roads
    Different Drum
    Rio
    Thanx For The Ride

BadJack likes this.
  5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Yeah, couldn't agree more. I have no problems with his current setlist but I do find his distinction between his songs kinda weird.

I did notice that for one of the shows I'm going to, it went on sale as "Mike" and had been changed to "Michael" within a few days.

Delramos likes this.
  6. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

Great show in Portland last night! His band sounds great and he really seems to enjoy playing with them. He couldn't have been nicer at the after show...

[​IMG]

I'll share my concert pics in a day or so...

Ere, intv7, wayne66 and 3 others like this.
  7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Okay, but what I want to know is...

...is he wearing the Jimmy Choo shoes?

Iceman08 likes this.
  8. Delramos

Delramos Active Member

No. They belong to monkee mike.

9. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Still plenty of seats left in Colorado.

Hard to believe that I'll be seeing Nez in 3 days!

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Me too, I cannot wait.
    Is there a "meet and greet" for this one?

11. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

12. BadJack

I believe that he offered limited meet and greets for all the shows, but they're long sold out.

13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

14. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

wayne66 likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Really enjoyed the Seattle show. About 650 in a 850 capacity venue.

He did have mic at the foot of the stage pointed at the audience. Obviously that show was recorded.

16. Tracy Robison

Iceman08, Wade, BadJack and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mister Charlie

Good shots! Feel like I was right back there again.

18. BadJack

19. Tracy Robison

For the curious, here's #63:

[​IMG]
    63 by TBRob, on Flickr

I didn't know I had captured that expression until I got home and looked at the raw images. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Bill likes this.
  20. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Who are the special guests at tonight's show? Do all shows mention special guests?

21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Just wondering - what time does Nez hit the stage?

22. Mister Charlie

8pm on the dot.

23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Thanks!

24. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Great show tonight! The audience was a bit subdued, yet respectful, but the music was very good.

The drummer from the First National Band, John Ware, was there, so he got a little bit of applause (I thought it should have been more!), although I felt like most of the audience probably didn't recognize the name. Seeing Paul Leim on drums in person was nice though.

Funny enough, the audience really seemed to dig what he was doing on "Grand Ennui" at tonight's show--and it received one of the biggest reactions from the crowd. Although, I think the electric guitar brought some needed energy to the show at that point.

"Cruisin'" also got a nice reaction from the crowd, and Scruggs guitar sort of helped that one along.

Scruggs also received some applause for some of his nice pedal steel guitar playing. He is a nice player.

After seeing tonight's show, I think it would be great for him to record some songs with this band, which was mentioned earlier in this thread that he was doing.

wayne66, Mister Charlie and D-rock like this.
  25. elfboots

elfboots Well-Known Member

If anyone in the Philly area is interested in going to the World Cafe Live show on the 15th, I have a spare ticket. (A transatlantic friend isn't able to make the trip after all.) Row 3 floor, just left of center.

From what I've read so far, these shows are basically duplications of last year's UK shows, but WITH A LIVE BAND. "Too many synths/not enough real band" was about the only criticism I had of those shows, so I'm very excited!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.