Michael Nesmith "Songs" 12 CD Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    parkmebike and Kevin55 like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Interesting.

Who/what is the Edsel label?

4. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

So will this simply be his 11 albums (one being a double album) in one box?

5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Hmmmmmm. I’m in. Maybe.

6. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

"This box set is the first time that Michael Nesmith's solo albums from both his RCA and Pacific Arts periods have been brought together in one compendium. The albums are in CD-sized facsimiles of the original sleeves, along with a booklet that compiles all the credits and liner notes from those sleeves. There are also four bonus tracks across the RCA albums."

Too bad - I was hoping we'd at least get physical releases of the Expanded Editions of those RCA albums released digitally in 2018. That (fairly good and interesting) bonus material will remain digital only for now, it seems.

Hep Alien, RobRoyF, Iceman08 and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Maybe the original version of The Prison? (yeah, i know)

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Not from Edsel. The 2008? version was released on their label. I spoke to them back when they started releasing the Nesmith Pacific Arts material .. they welcomed bonus tracks but Nez didn't supply any aside from the longer version of "Flying" on Infinite Rider and the Newly remixed/remastered Prison.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Had I not already dropped some serious bucks to get the rare 2-fers, I'd be all over this. I have 11 of these on CD already.

12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Which one are you missing? Curious.

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

14. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Too many things are missing here: The Wichita Train Whistle Sings (ok, originally a Dot records release)/ Timerider (OST)/ Rays/ Live at The Palais/ Live at The Britt Festival/ The Newer Stuff (at least the then "newer" songs only released on this compilation)/ all the pre-Monkees solo songs officially released now via Rhino Handmade (Michael Blessing)/ the recently digital-only rarities.

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui and pobbard like this.
  15. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

...and "The Ocean" release.

16. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Can’t see the point of this for me without it having the extra bonus track that were issued on line last year.

peace and love✌Dave

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'll skip on account of what I already have (on CD, the RCA Camden 2-fers and The Prison; on vinyl, And the Hits Just Keep on Comin', From a Radio Engine to the Photon Wing, Big Rider on the Infinite Dogma and The Newer Stuff).

18. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Same. If it had the new RCA deluxe editions on CD, I'd be in. As it is, I'll pass.

Hep Alien, Iceman08 and Beaneydave like this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Prison and The Garden

20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I will probably pass on this one since I already have the albums. It looks like a nice set.

21. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

I just learned that "The Newer Stuff" is included (also The Prison & The Garden). Anyway- such a huge wasted opportunity (when exactly was ever such a large Nesmith CD set released before?) to not include the fantastic rarities/outtakes/alt. takes which were released digital-only last year.

22. J. Grimes

J. Grimes Well-Known Member

It seems like as a fan, there's a certain ":sweet spot" for buying big boxes like this, i.e. you're a big enough fan that you're willing to shell out the money but a new enough fan that you don't already have most of it, or enough of it that the price is prohibitive.

D-rock likes this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nez is selling these signed and personalized for 75.00 plus shipping, which is like 9.95

Pawnmower likes this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Also, someone asked if any of these are remastered and VR answered, no - no new remastering.

So they are essentially the Camden 2-fers, as guessed, and the Edsel releases from mid 2000.

Surprised people are still speculating which version of The Prison will be on it. Some keep saying the 1990 remix but it'll clearly be the Edsel remix from 2006.

Hep Alien and RobRoyF like this.
  25. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I went ahead and ordered one. I have the 5CD RCA Boxset, plus "The Newer Stuff", but none of his Pacific Arts albums. Having it signed by Nez is a plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.