Michael Schenker - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Campbell, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident Thread Starter

yes his first thank you is my fave also....strangers in the night has been my fave. live cd ever....fantastic talent there.

2. Mike Campbell

Just found THANK YOU 5......first I have seen in years..

3. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

Can you imagine how much more "awesomer" (sic) he'd be had he incorporated more pinky finger with fretting hand?

Whoa

squittolo and sunking101 like this.
  4. Our Andall

Our Andall Well-Known Member

I saw him in LA a year ago - he was absolutely fantastic.

MYQ1 likes this.
  5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

First Thank You album is terrific. I also don't think he gets the credit he deserves for some of his work on Lonesome Crow. Wasn't he like 15 at the time?

squittolo and Crush Everything like this.
  6. Mike Campbell

squittolo likes this.
  7. Mike Campbell

On the MSG Nightmare Japanese The Accoustic MSG, on # 7 Michael speaks and says "Music should not be a competition, Music should come from the heart, practice regular etc. etc. . Message for the Japanese fans.""' Couldn't be more true......

8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not much......it would just get in the way of the other 3 flying fingers.

I've been a Schenker fan since the late 70's, but I've got to admit I only learned about him not using his pinky only within the last couple years.
    Tremendous player, no doubt about it.

vmajewsk likes this.
  9. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The missus and me were there. Whilst not the most musical of evenings, it was great entertainment of the car crash variety. Always loved the story that post gig Schenker was ready to head to the merch table to sign autographs and had to be physically restrained......

Siegmund likes this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sorry to hear that. Hope you had a good holiday, anyway. :)

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

If anyone even remotely likes MSG, get the new BluRay Michael Schenker Fest Live. It features all 3 MSG singers and Michael's playing is impeccable as always. I have a newfound respect for Robin McCauley.

danielbravo and slipkid like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for the tip.

Seeing how Michael is my favorite living geetarist (even though his studio outings keep leaving me cold) this somehow slipped completely off my radar (or if I knew about then I totally forgot!).

I just bought the 2 CD/DVD version.

Here is some cool info on it:

MICHAEL SCHENKER To Release New Live Recording Feat. GARY BARDEN, GRAHAM BONNET, ROBIN MCAULEY

The band:
    Michael Schenker - Lead Guitar
    Ted McKenna - Drums
    Steve Mann - Guitar, Keyboards
    Chris Glen - Bass

The Vocalists:
    Gary Barden
    Graham Bonnet
    Robin McAuley

Intro: Searching For Freedom
    02. Into The Arena
    03. Attack Of The Mad Axeman ft. Gary Barden
    04. Victim Of Illusion ft. Gary Barden
    05. Cry For The Nations ft. Gary Barden
    06. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie ft. Gary Barden
    07. Armed And Ready ft. Gary Barden
    08. Coast To Coast
    09. Assault Attack ft. Graham Bonnet
    10. Desert Song ft. Graham Bonnet
    11. Dancer ft. Graham Bonnet
    12. Captain Nemo
    13. This Is My Heart ft. Robin McAuley
    14. Save Yourself ft. Robin McAuley
    15. Love Is Not A Game ft. Robin McAuley
    16. Shoot Shoot ft. Robin McAuley
    17. Rock Bottom ft. Robin McAuley
    18. Doctor Doctor ft. Gary Barden, Graham Bonnet, Robin McAuley

And this link has an in-depth glowing review of it:

CD/DVD Review: Michael Schenker Fest “Live” Tokyo

bru87tr and johnny q like this.
  13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I tell this story every chance I get.

:D

Saw UFO with him in the mid '90's on the Walk on Water tour in Palo Alto, at the Edge. They played 3 shows, and for whatever reason, the first show was cancelled. (Equipment problems, I think.) We had tickets for the 2nd show. Now this is just me, but I could swear, that he was trying to make it up to the audience that the 1st show was cancelled. He was just in the ZONE. I saw UFO with Paul Chapman in the '80's, and I actually like Paul's songs better, because I think he rocked harder than Michael. But Michael beats Paul for the melodic stuff. And I am telling you, that Walk on Water show was one of the best concerts I've ever been too. Schenker was just on fire.

slipkid likes this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'm listening to the McAuley Schenker era and I'm wondering what fans thought at the time?
    I was a casual fan, so I didn't pay it much attention, but now I've really gotten into the early MSG albums and I'm curious as to what Michael was doing in the 3 year gap? Then to come back in such a commercial way!

danielbravo and Davidmk5 like this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

PS - just noticed the Michael Schenker Fest is up on Amazon Prime Video...will have to check it out.

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

at the time i love the McAuley schenker era even though i had been a fan since 1980-ish , just kinda went with the times , my one head scratcher was michael having a 2nd guitar player in Mitch perry joining , Mitch is a great player was just surprised that had happened .
    Some great playing & songs on those albums & Robin certainly is a great singer .

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I heard "Anytime" on a college radio station when it was first released and hated it - I thought it sounded like a mediocre Lita Ford song. So, I never bought the albums and blacklisted the entire period. However, watching the recent BluRay - my favorite part of the show is the McAuley/Schenker tunes! It dawned on me that maybe dismissing it entirely back in the day was the wrong move. So recently, I have been buying/listening to the albums. Definitely a concerted effort to fit in with the big melodic rock of the 80s but some good songs in there for sure and some awesome MS guitar (e.g. "Save Yourself")

JQ

bru87tr and Curveboy like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I hated it at the time (don't like the songs or McAuley's voice very much) and haven't really warmed up to those albums over the years either.

Interesting question. I have been a big fan of his since UFO and have followed all he's done over the years but I don't remember what was going on with Michael (if anything) from 84-87.

danielbravo and Curveboy like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I picked up the 2 CD/DVD version and dig it. Was pleasantly surprised by Bonnet's and McAuley's sections. I was not a huge fan of either with Michael for the most part back in the day but I liked what they did at the "fest".

20. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! Will check it out

21. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I really like the first two solo albums after leaving UFO in early 80's ; also liked Assault Attack quite a bit, even though I'm not much of a Bonnet fan
    Never really paid any attention after that until maybe early - mid 90's again

22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

One of my favourite guitarists!
    Didn't he do a 'covers' CD?

23. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

A pitch-perfect description, thank you. Utterly unique musician, I love him when I'm in the mood for some great electric guitar.

squittolo and johnny q like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes - off top of my head at least three of them.

Although one ("Heavy Hitters) was also (confusingly) re-released and re-titled twice with extra songs & tracks shuffled around (the re-releases of Heavy Hitters are called "Doctor Doctor: The Kulick Sessions" and "By Invitation Only").

The other two covers albums I'm thinking of were released with Davey Pattison on vocals as part of the "Schenker Pattison Summit" and called "The Endless Jam" and "The Endless Jam Continues".

Rufus rag likes this.
  25. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

He did some drinking.

As to what this fan thought at the time, I spent the first four years of the 80s hanging on every note he recorded yet consider the McAuley Schenker period to be irredeemable garbage. Still do.

He's still fantastic live, though. Saw him a year or two ago.

Spitfire and Curveboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.