Mick Fleetwood on whether Lindsey Buckingham will return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't" Thread Starter

https://pagesix.com/2020/10/12/mick-fleetwood-on-viral-video-and-lindsey-buckingham/

Fleetwood Mac are as famous for their songs that defined the ’70s as much as their internecine squabbling, which has led to members leaving and returning.

The most recent was in 2018 when guitarist Lindsey Buckingham was fired.

Fleetwood, who says he spoke to Buckingham recently, “has no idea” if Buckingham will ever return.

He explained in a not very clear or succinct way: “I think the reality is without going into huge detail, one of the things I always say is that the disconnect happened and there were emotions that were somewhat not removable and there are personal things within the band and Lindsey’s world.

“All I can say is really openly is that Lindsey Buckingham and the work he has done with the band is never going to go away and we have a functioning band with the changes that we made. You know time heals and it was lovely to be able to talk with him.”

Fleetwood said the two spoke by phone after Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green passed away age 73 in July.

“Lindsey said, ‘I know you’re really sad and of course, I was.’ And that’s what reconnected me and Lindsey. We had the greatest talk. It was like we’d just spoken five minutes ago.”

The drummer is looking forward to a post-COVID time where he can perform again and “there has to be a positive outcome of stories to be told by all of us.”

pexie, MikeJedi, marmalade and 16 others like this.
  2. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

“Emotions that were somewhat not removable.” LOL. WTH?

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My guess is Mick never wanted Lindsey gone, but he was put in a position where either he or Stevie had to go. And he knows that Lindsey is never coming back unless Stevie gets over it and allows it.

4. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Just boot Stevie's ass out and bring him back already. Or do another Buckingham-McVie album.

5. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I think it's perfectly clear that that will the title of the next Mac lp.

6. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Regardless of what gunslingers that get brought in to that band, to me, it is not Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham. I have zer0 interest in
    seeing them live, or buying their records. To me, Nicks had made FM her backup band.

7. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

It would be fascinating if it hadn’t been going on so long and they weren’t so heaving in cash as to make their squabbles look like a bit of a grift tbh. And I say that as a fan.

8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am with you, when I saw FM the last decade or so LB was by far and away the MPV of the show. His mastery of his way of playing guitar really shined and I am satisfied with what I saw those shows to sit out any future FM shows without him

9. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

I second this motion. Goatvoice hasn't brought anything creatively worthwhile to the table in almost 20 years and that's being generous. Her value to the band is selling thousands of tickets to nostalgia freaks who in their mind's eye still see a vibrant 30-something year-old Stevie twirling around in her capes and dresses onstage instead of the washed-up septuagenarian she has evolved into. Dismiss her and her massive ego simultaneously from the band, ask L.B. to come home and sweet-talk Christine into at least writing a few numbers for another album or two.

And yes - I know that none of this will happen.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"A functioning band"? Well, maybe. But also a kind of substitute. I mean... these guys are playing huge stages. Can't they simply put Stevie and Lindsey like a mile apart from each other? I remember Stones shows where Keith said that most of the time Mick was so far away from him, running around platforms, working the crowd....

FM could use that: Separate entrances, seperate backstage rooms, separate taxis. It's not as if we didn't learn two or three things about "social distancing" in 2020. :uhhuh:

Zerox, RockAddict, spindly and 20 others like this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I do love seeing just how mad this saga STILL makes all of you fellas

12. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

It's the greatest soap opera in rock history. Makes the internal romantic issues that existed in Jefferson Airplane and Abba look amateur in comparison.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When they played here in Vancouver circa 2014ish it was 5 different vehicles and 5 different hotels.

14. HotelYorba101

To quote the words of mothers across the world: "I am not mad, just disappointed"

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And...who didn't see this coming. Maybe Mick made some really bad investments again and needs a "reunion" tour to boost his coffers. But the goaty one will be a problem.

16. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Bands like Fleetwood Mac need to take a hard look at bands like Black Sabbath and Van Halen and realize even if everyone past and present who may not be the best of buddies can still work together and produce respectable music and good, profitable shows.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My read on Fleetwood's Comments is that once someone throws such a large amount of money for us to do a Real Final Tour before we get and Older and at the stage of their lives age wise, where it is not advisable for any of us to buy Green Bananas, then we will ask(beg) Lindsey to return for the Final Big Cash Grab and with Musicians having Egos, also get to experience One Final Tour with the Adulation from their Fans from the LB/SN Era. I am not typically interested in seeing Jurassic Music Artists in Concert anyways, as they are way past their Prime(although, if they put out a Good Studio Album, which is rare for Post 70s Music Artists, then I might buy it, as I liked The Who Album put out in the past year), but usually those Tours are just Cash Grabs, and rather see Music Artists on Tour, who are in their 20s-50s, as even though Radiohead is getting up there, they can still bring it live and Steven Wilson is 50+ going on 30, as his Music and Performances has the Energy of a Music Artist in his 20s(including his most recent Band Members).

Anyways, I have no idea if even a huge amount of money would have LB interested, as figured he must still be bitter over being fired, but if Fleetwood is accurately describing their recent phone conversation, then maybe time is left to heal that wound:shrug:.

I had first got into Fleetwood Mac's Music in 1997 with 'The Dance', then bought all of their Albums(including all Deluxe Editions), since LB joined the Band(I skipped the Album without him). I actually love the 'Say You Will' Album despite Christine not being part of the Band during that time, but that is nothing against Christine, and more appreciation of the Good Songs LB brought to that Album(a Few of them apparently were written for one of his Solo Albums, which irks me even more that Fleetwood fired him. Actually, seeing him recreating his own version of the Tik Tok Video copying what the Dude who originally made that Video to the FM Song 'Dreams', while riding his Sector 9 Board, really upset me again as seeing Fleetwood just being reminded that he fired LB, as LB mostly saved his Career after he joined the Band).

CWChrome, WalkAThinLine, JLGB and 4 others like this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

Exactly, as No LB, then Fleetwood Mac is just Fleetwood PC to me. I had no interest with seeing them on Tour with the Guitar Player(Campbell) from TP and Heartbreakers, even though I appreciate his Talent with that Band, and no idea who the other dude who also was added, but did not even matter, who was added as a replacement, as the Guitar Sound of LB is Fleetwood Mac to me(I only got into FM with 'The Dance' and then bought all of their Albums with LB, so not familiar with their Blues Based Band prior to LB/SN joining FM, so no disrespect intended to their Original Band Members). If anyone is offended by my take on the current version of Fleetwood Mac, then well I will let Conor speak for me:

[​IMG]

19. HotelYorba101

Even Axl Rose and Slash found a way to tolerate each other again lol, with Fleetwood Mac the drama is never ending I suppose

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

Glad I was not drinking water when I read that term(Goatvoice), as had me lmao so hard, that I would have spit the water all over my iPad.

Those Nostalgia Freaks you mentioned must have enjoyed her season on 'American Horror Story'. Think she played a Witch, as that Season's Plot revolved around Witches. American Horror Story how she was the person responsible for having LB fired, although the Final Blame lays with Mick Fleetwood himself as the Decision Maker.

21. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

They’ll all have to ensure they survive another 3 years at least if they want one last big tour, there’s no way arenas will be packed out again anytime soon. Oh the irony.

22. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I can never watch Stevie Nicks again without thinking that. Genius.

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

All those bands were never romantically involved with each other. Or... were they? :hide:

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  24. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Very boring band without Lindsey, he was the show the one time I saw them.

25. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

South Park had fun with her, and yes, Lindsey was the show.

Zerox, Stormrider77, JLGB and 17 others like this.