Micky Dolenz - The MGM Singles Collection (Monkees)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IainLee, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone

I'm not brilliant at posting quotes on here, apologies, but I'm really keen to answer your questions.

Firstly, Ernie B's is a reputable and highly recommended retailer. They are currently the only people in the States you can buy the album from. They have it in stock and you will possibly receive it before the release date of July 13th.

Now, onto the numbers. I am genuinely sorry if anyone feels slighted by the increase of the initially discussed figure of 400 to 700. It is in no way my intention to mislead and apologies if anyone feels that I have. The decision to produce another 300 copies was a fairly recent one and it was taken simply because the first 400 were obviously going to go very quickly, possibly before the release date.

I'm disappointed that someone is questioning our integrity. Here's a fact - a lot of record companies (no names, no pack drill) when they are releasing a limited edition of say 400 copies actually produce more and don't tell anyone. It's fairly standard practice. Think about it. What are the odds of all of those people who have bought the 560 copies of the 400 copies limited release actually talking to each other? So if anything, I've made the mistake of being too honest. Apologies for not following the lead set by other more well established record companies. If anyone did order this on the first day, it must have been from Amazon who have an excellent returns policy.

We could have had the copies numbered but that would have added even more cost to the product.

Oh, one note. 7a get a FRACTION of the price the stores are selling it for. They make their own prices.

I'm also sorry there is no download code with the vinyl. Glenn and I talked and talked about it but we just couldn't see a way to make it work financially. We will not break even on all of our costs incurred by selling out of vinyl. Any chance of breaking even and possibly even making a small profit come entirely from the digital download (and possibly the CD if we manage to pull that off). I know our financial concerns don't bother most of you but if we lose too much money on this project then we wont be able to undertake anymore releases (Bobby Hart looking very likely to be the second). Again, this practice of not including a download code does happen and I understand why people might be upset. I had the same experience when I purchased the vinyl of Black Beauty by Arthur Lee. I kind of get it now.

Right...I think that's it for the moment. Happy to address any more issues or questions you guys may have.

Iain

Grand_Ennui, intv7, cuddlytoy and 6 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'll admit I'd prefer having a download with the purchase of an Lp but come on! I just appreciate someone putting all this effort and care into this release. It looks absolutely beautiful. Thanks for all your hard work Iain. Ignore the haters and complainers.

3. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Really looking forward to getting this. Thanks for all your hard work Iain & Glenn!

Limited schmimited, who cares?! The more copies sold the better, right?

4. sanmarrb

sanmarrb Forum Resident

Oh, c'mon. I'd rather see a passionate new label be successful, and have demand exceed their initial estimates, then lord the fact that I got it first over other fanboys. The "limited edition" status had nothing to do with my purchasing decision...I'm a music fan, not a numbers snob.

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nicely stated

6. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Ordered mine from Ernie B's and it shipped today, plus since I didn't get in on amazon.co.uk's 1st day pricing, the total was cheaper. I should definitely have my copy much earlier than ordering from amazon.co.uk from here in the USA, so it's definitely a better deal all around.

cuddlytoy and D-rock like this.
  7. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

My experience exactly. I couldn't believe the album was already in stock with them. Mine has shipped too. Their communication has been impeccable.

Thanks for putting this together, Iain. I'm looking forward to the album's arrival. I have the utmost faith that this will be a cherished addition to my collection.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  8. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

You're doing a wonderful job. Thanks for all of your hard work.

9. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Lol....remember The Beatles Mono CD box? Limited is a marketing term nothing more. You're expectation is mis guided.

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

It's crazy that anyone would have anything negative to say about this project. You are losing money on this. I think it's so cool you did this. I wish I could.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think it's cool too... I didn't buy the LP because I'm not able to play vinyl right now, but I'm all for what he's doing and will still hold out hope that this Micky Dolenz collection gets a CD release eventually...

D-rock likes this.
  12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I just ordered through them as well and it's already being shipped! $51 on US Amazon - craziness. Thank you so much for the link for Ernie B's!

D-rock likes this.
  13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Folks who have ordered the album through Ernie B's are starting to receive them!

[​IMG]

14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I had not heard of Ernie B's until recently (a few months ago) when they were mentioned in the thread about the new Herman's Hermits stereo comp from Bear Family. I took the advice of people in that thread and ordered it, and I was not disappointed. I think I got it in a few days. My thanks to Ian and company for their efforts in making this happen.

I don't have a horse in this race, and I already have these so it doesn't really matter to me -- but if 7a folks are looking for ideas of more Monkees-related stuff to release, how about a box set of the live albums which were only sold at concerts? That would be 1986, 2001 and 2002, and maybe they could throw in Davy's and Micky's solo live CDs from the early 2000s. Like I said, I have them, but that would be a cool set. I'd pick one up if I didn't have them already...

15. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Received my copy today from Ernie B's and wow! What a nice package you guys put together...very well done!!

16. MarkTheShark

Got mine today. I just finished reading the liner notes. Haven't listened to it yet, my turntable isn't hooked up right now. Very nice job, comments from many of the participants in the sessions and people who were around at the time. I never really thought much about those sessions but it's nice to have it all documented and placed into context. Thanks to all who made this happen.

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

This is very impressive accomplishment for a couple of fans! Looking forward to the cd release (may spring for the digital release if that becomes available soon).

18. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I want those Dolenz basement tapes!! It may not be much, but wow... Brian Wilson, John Lennon, Harry Nilsson and Marc Bolan!?

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  19. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

So is this a legit release?

20. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

No. I don't think that would be a good idea. If he felt this was something that should be done I'm sure he could arrange to get it done.

21. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Don't forget the STADIUM full of lawyers that would be involved if anything more than a listening party standing outside of someone's car in a windblown parking lot were to occur with any unreleased material recorded by those guys!

Wade likes this.
  22. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Which two songs are not from the master tapes?

23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Yes.

Grand_Ennui and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  24. MarkTheShark

"Buddy Holly Tribute" and "Ooh She's Young" -- the final Romar single. Wonder where those went. Supposedly only unreleased music was lost in the Universal fire a few years ago...

Grand_Ennui, GV1967 and D-rock like this.
  25. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

That's fine. I was hoping it wasn't "Easy On You /Oh Someone" as that single has always sounded like garbage. Fingers crossed that this release will fix that problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.