Mid 70's Canadian bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mknappe, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Been going back through some old April Wine and Bachman-Turner Overdrive from the early to mid-70's, lots of great stuff. AW's Electric Jewels and Stand Back are great, and BTO's Four Wheel Drive is also a lot of fun (I still like it better than Not Fragile for some reason). Anybody have any thoughts on Canadian music from this era - much of which didn't trickle down to the US right away or ever...

2. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Always enjoyed the Canadian bands of the 70's. What little we could find around here anyway. Early April Wine stands as some of their finest and, for me at least, stands above the Capitol stuff in what I pull to listen to first. "I Wouldn't Want To Lose Your Love", beautiful.

Have a book around here somewhere, think it's called "Shakin All Over" or something like that. Canadian artists from the 60's thru the late 80's or so. Lots of fine music waiting to be found. One thing I found interesting in the book was the allegation that Canadian fans would lose interest in a band/artist if the artists found success outside of the home country.

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was able to get a cd of Every Day People recently. I might spring for Ken Tobias too.

Bim? Roy Forbes is his name now, but I imagine he had a good record or two in the 70's. :)

We need a Canadian Rhino.

4. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

FM's "Black Noise" is great! Does that count?

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I used to listen to CKLW out of Windsor a lot in the early- to mid-70s. Great station, and because of the Canadian content rule you got to hear a lot of stuff not played in the States. A few that come to mind:

Make Me Do Anything You Want -- A Foot in Coldwater
    A very stately song, dominated by organ, with great vocals. Really solid.

'Cause We're in Love -- The Hood
    Very punky...somewhat reminiscent of The Troggs. I could never believe a song this cool and retro was a hit. I really liked it...anyone know anything about these guys?

California Jam -- Klaatu
    Before all the "is this really The Beatles?" nonsense started, this was a simple and affecting Beach Boys tribute.

Lovin' You Ain't Easy -- Pagliaro
    Ace French-Canadian power popper, much revered by those of us who made it through the 70s thanks to this kind of stuff.

6. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I live not far from Coldwater, and I think of the song every time I see a sign for the town. Helix did a cover of that song, pretty much note for note IIRC.

There was a band called FLUDD that had a few hits, one of the members was Greg Goddovitch who went on to form GODDO after FLUDD disbanded. There was two Pillings brothers in the band, one of them died of leukemia which might be why they broke up, but it's possible he died after the fact.
    I met his widow when I was in my early teens and she turned me on to their music. I had a record of theirs for years but it's disappeared. It was good pop-rock, and one tune....can't remember the name...was a radio hit for years.

7. Jontario

Jontario Member

I still listen to Max Webster self titled , "High Class in Borrowed Shoes" and "Mutiny Up My Sleeve".

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Chilliwack! - I like their early/mid seventies period a lot. Their releases on Sire records.....
    The self titled (in the US) was I believe called Riding High elsewhere. Its superb, especially side two.

9. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

This is Terry Jacks (of Seasons In The Sun fame). I think this is a one-off single he released between the Poppy Family & going solo.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encyclopedia/J/Jacks_Terry.html

10. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Crowbar -Oh What A Feeling-Followed this band from playing at Eaton's? Simpson's? dept. store to every gig possible. :D Kelly Jay live :thumbsup:

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

"Cousin Mary"?

12. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Chilliwack produced some great rock, I do believe. I listen to the various periods on a fairly regular basis, but am most impressed with their Mushroom LPs (that's probably because they were the first I'd really heard).

A Foot In Coldwater had a chance in the States, but getting material to promote them was like pulling teeth. Elektra had better fish to fry, I'm thinking. But what great production by--- jeez, two guys come to mind and I'm not sure which--- John Anthony or Roy Thomas Baker. Anthony, I'm thinking.

The Hometown Band did some good stuff, with and without Valdy. And there was The Powder Blues Band.

You'd think I was from Canada, all of the Canadian bands I enjoy.

Frank G

13. tootull

me too :shh:

14. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Anyone know where the April Wine Stand Back LP is CD reissue-wize? I have it on LP of course, and I still use it as a demonstration disc for punchy recorded mid-seventies drum sound. They did get a little carried away De-essing the lead singer.

But it's a great record.

15. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

1. Fly by Night by Chilliwack is a stone cold classic from beginning to end.
    2. Re 'Cause We're In Love: This was done about 10-12 years earlier by Montreal's own Beau-Marks of Clap Your Hands fame.

16. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

and 3. I can play Oh Pretty Lady by Trooper over and over again, a great tune in the Whiter Shade of Pale vein.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Prism is a very under-rated band. They barely get any respect from "classic rock" radio up here. Spaceship Superstar is an awesome tune.

Am I the only Canuck that remembers Hellfield?

18. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Don't forget the superior "City of Fear". Why this hasn't made it to CD is a crying shame. :shake:

19. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Moxy is still one of my favorite bands from the 70s. Saw them a few times and they were a serious rockin' outfit. IIRC they were opening for Triumph at Ontario Place.

The first album from The Hunt is real hidden gem as well.

Brian

20. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

And while we're on the subject, don't forget FM's "Surveillance" either which has also never been available on CD. I just played my vinyl of this album a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe how great it sounded! I played the hell out of it in the early 80s too. Looking forward to their reunion at Nearfest this summer.

21. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

A Foot in Cold Water...on Canada Capitol

Mandala...with Domenic Troiano (seen..."The best guitarist you've never heard of...")

the Guess Who...or Chad Allen & the Expressions

22. tootull

:edthumbs: ...and Lighthouse too.

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'll be damned! I never knew this. So is that Terry Jacks singing the lead? Now that you mention it, it does kinda sound like him.

Thanks for clearing up a 30+-year mystery for me!

Thanks for this info as well. It at least explains why the song was so anachronistic at the time!

24. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I sure agree about Fly at Night. Is it on CD? I've never seen it, although my Mushroom LP was a great pressing.

25. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

The Stampeders had several great songs - I'm not very familiar with their albums (even though I have a couple...)

Three of my favourite K-Tel records (and I collect K-Tel records) are Canadian Mint (1974), Canada Gold (1975) & Canada's Finest (1976) (as someone said earlier - we need a Canadian "Rhino" to reissue this stuff on cd). Canadian Mint includes "'Cause We're In Love" by Hood & yes that's Terry Jacks singing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.