Mid 70's Canadian bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mknappe, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Anybody remember Horn? They got some airplay in B.C. and No. Washington state. Not bad, if I'm remembering it right.

2. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

We just got used to the press, Dave. They were presented as being an L.A. band and from what I saw, the band didn't argue much. Probably too busy spending their money. :D I saw them play first on the bill with Three Dog Night and they were introduced as being from L.A. Of course, that was years ago and maybe they said something like "fresh from Los Angeles", which could have come from management or label people. As far as being bummed, I thought they were hot, regardless of hometown status.

Frank G

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

This is quite interesting. I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada during the early to late 70's (my Jr High/Snr High/College years). Canadian music, in Canada, during that era was played down by our own music industry and it almost seemed that they were not being encouraged. I remember Rush having a heck of a time getting a record contract in Canada. If I remember correctly, they actually had to go state side. Even the friends I grew up with would not purchase any Canadian music, only British/American bands. And to tell you the truth, it was no secret that our Canuck stuff didn't hold a candle to most US and UK bands of that era. Let's face it, if you were a teenager with a limited budget and was seriously into music, you were going to buy Zep, UFO, Scorpions, Grand Funk, Santana, etc, etc, etc.
    Nonetheless, artists, like Lighthouse (early stuff sounded like Chicago), Mahogany Rush and Pat Travers, were some of the best stuff. Chilliwack's eary material was great, but got really radio orientated later on. Klaatu, Rush, Goddo, Mahogany Rush, Pat Travers were all great. April Wine and BTO had some fun stuff too.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Maybe it was a Toronto thing, but there was a free magazine called The New Music (which spawned the show on City TV), and it featured a "the making of a record" featuring a band called Hellfield. The leader was drummer Mitch Hellfield (I'm sure it wasn't his real name!). They had a minor hit called Tell Me Are You Listening. They had a second album called Night Music, IIRC. Then they went poof.

BG99 likes this.
  5. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I have never heard "City of Fear", I am a young cat.
    Wish me luck finding the LP I guess.

Does The Band, "Northern Lights, Southern Cross" count?
    Because that is another damn good mid 70's Canadian album.

I guess Rush is too obvious, but Farewell To Kings is killer! :righton:

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I got into Fludd when they signed with Attic records and released "Great Expectations".
    The biggest hit from that LP was 'What An Animal'.

Biggest hit was their first: 'Turned 21' from 1971. I think 'Cousin Mary' did OK too.

7. filper

filper Forum Resident

Kim Mitchell, the former lead singer of 'Max' is now the daytime DJ on a local (webcast too) radio station out of Toronto. Q107... he's doing a fine job.

Most of the tunes you lads mention are on various Juno award compilations I've found at the local library.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Afternoons. Derringer is daytime. :)
    And the last time I heard him, he was pretty pooey.

9. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

What about the group, Pollen, from Quebec?
    Spacey-Floydy-Genesis-folk-rock?
    Good stuff! Lyrics in French.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Some other Canadian bands worthy of mention, most of them semi obscure:

The Hunt
    From Montreal, 3 LPs on the Daffodil label, late 70's

Copperpenny
    Harlequin
    Jackson Hawke, 'Set Me Free' was a great track
    Madcats
    Segarini
    Streetheart, their first two LPs were in the '70's
    Teaze

A couple of good sources:http://www.newworldcds.com/

Click on the Canadian Artists section. The most complete listing of Canadian music I've ever seen, much of it for sale on this site.

http://www.unidisc.com/srch-db.html

This label has reissued a lot of the artists mentioned in this thread. The artwork is reproduced nicely and the sound is OK. Not sure what the sources are but I'd be real surprised if they are needle drops.

11. filper

filper Forum Resident

You mean the monotone ?

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Just sounds like a guy they grabbed off the street and said "here, be a DJ!". It's like listening to instant oatmeal soak in hot water.

13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for those links.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

the first Moxy album is a classic! check out the songs with Tommy Bolin's guitar solos, especially 'Fantasy', 'Time to Move On', and 'Moon Rider'. the latter features probably my favorite bolin solo on album. just plain ripping! bolin was in another room at the studio and he 'bartered' those solos with Moxy's producer, whom he knew from his days in the James Gang, purely for the COCAINE!

i also like Lighthouse a lot. very underrated act. never knew the fellas in Steppenwolf were from up yonder, either. i knew J. Kay was from Germany, but that's about it.

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Ridin High is a pretty good Moxy album also, Buzz's voice was going but the music had a lot harder edge than the previous 2

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Prism - Armageddon...killer record.

17. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

Fludd also had a hit with "Turned 21" in 1971.

edited to add: OOops, just saw a similar post a couple of posts above this... still a great tune and may I add Motherlode's And When I Die to the pile ?

18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Not really. David Clayton Thomas was the only Canadian in the band. He didn't join until the second album.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Remember Zon?
    Or Walter Zwol?

20. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

King Biscuit Boy AKA Richard Newell and Crowbar

Really enjoyed these guys a lot, especially their Official Music, Bad Manors, Gooduns, and KE 32746 lps. Great fun!

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow! Someone else remembers them too!

They had two big hits from their first LP - Sitting on a Poor Man's Throne and - darn - another one. :sigh:

Hamilton Joe Frank & Renolds were Canadian (I think...)

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Definitely!

I have the two Zon albums on Epic, the first on blue vinyl.

Don't have any Walter Zwol solo but I do have the Brutus album.

23. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

According to classicbands.com HJF&R were from California. But they did put out some classic pop in their day.

In 1973, Tommy Reynolds left the group to join Shango who had had previously had a novelty hit "Day After Day" in 1969, about the scare in California where it was supposed to be sliding into the sea. Reynolds was a co-writer of the song, according to that site. It also credits a Stuart Margolin as one of the co-writers, but no inidication if it's 'that' Stuart Margolin or not.

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Joe Frank was from Hamilton? :)

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Lighthouse was probably by favorite band from that period. They sounded REALLY good live.

We had a band in Nova Scotia called "Pepper Tree" that I think put out one album that was pretty good.

Matt Minglewood put out some decent stuff at the time.

A neat link for East Coast old guys:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~jrice/Discography45.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.