Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Forgive me if this repeats anything said earlier in this lengthy thread. The MFSL In A Silent Way SACD sounds fantastic.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  2. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I just ordered the MoFi In A Silent Way SACD today, I can't wait. I've been pleased by the series so far.

3. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

How do Sketches, Kind of Blue, and In a Silent Way MFSL SACDs compare to the Sony SACDs?

4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Not always true, some of their recent SACD's have preceded the vinyl or were you just referring to the Miles discs?

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, I know now, and I was indeed referring to the Miles Davis (and Bob Dylan) SACDs, see my post #284 :) I should have made that clear.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The MFSL Kind of Blue SACD isn't out yet. I haven't done comparisons for the other two albums, but the MFSL discs sound very good.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Any idea if any post-IN A SILENT WAY titles are in the works at MFSL?

9. That's great news, I ordered one this morning. I'm pumped!

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Here is the short list of Miles Davis titles that I wish to be released on MFSL hybrid SACDs in the next round:
    Miles Ahead (mono)
    Porgy & Bess
    E.S.P.
    Miles Smiles
    Filles De Kilimanjaro

The long list would include 25 more titles. :)

11. KeithH

They have not announced any other Miles Davis titles. I just wrote them inquiring about other Miles Davis SACDs. If they respond, I'll post the information here.

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Do these latest Miles SACDs come in LP cardboard covers, Lift Lock case, or the Super Jewel case (the ones with the rounded corners)?

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

LP cardboard covers, gatefold style. Some have inner books, some don't.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just listened to the "Four and More" MFSL LP, and it sounds great!! I never really paid much attention to this album before, even though I have the hybrid JSACD and the CD in the Complete Miles Columbia CD box (as well as the Miles box set which include this music already).

This is an essential live disc... Miles really cooks - and even does some runs on the trumpet that are indescribable.

I haven't compared this LP to the other two copies I mentioned I have of this album, but suffice to say I really like the sound of the MFSL LP. (Since I already have the JSACD of this title, I won't be getting the MFSL SACD when released - the LP is enough for me.)

Edit addition - I am also amazed at how good this LP sounds even though each side runs over 25+ minutes long.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No booklet in mine either.

16. ramokoff

ramokoff Forum Resident

I have three MFSL Miles SACDs ('Round About Midnight, In A Silent Way, Milestones).

"Round About Midnight" has a booklet. No booklet with Milestones & IaSW.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

My copy of 'Round About Midnight also has a booklet. Got it from ImportCDs.

18. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

Yup, mine also. :cool:

19. KeithH

Thanks for the review, Mike. Hopefully the SACD isn't too far behind.

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Same for me.

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I wonder what the source material for the two 1964 live albums (My funny valentine, Four and more)is.

I have the first JSACD reissues made from the stereo mixdown tapes (the "stereo master tapes") as well as the later JSACDs made from the new mix from the 3-track tapes Mark Wilder did for the "Seven steps" box set, and the new mix is more immediate and fuller. It's not a huge difference, but if MFSL uses the old stereo tapes, it will not be an improvement over the current CD versions IMHO.

The JSACDs:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/837
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4869

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/833
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4870

jfeldt likes this.
  22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just ordered "Sketches of Spain" from ImportCDs. They say shipping in 5-10 days, but the price was less than $25 including shipping cost, so I'll wait.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeap, I don't understand why mofi is so inconsistent. Also there is a mistake in the credits of In a Silent Way, Shorter plays soprano and not a tenor in this album.

24. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Miles Smiles would be the crown jewel for me. One of my top five Miles albums. I had the late 90s remaster for ages before picking up the red-border Columbia Jazz Original Masters issue last summer. I think the latter sounds better, but I would love for to MoFi include this in this latest series of audiophile Miles releases. I'm sure there is an earlier JSACD or SACD but being out print I'm also sure that used copies go for big bucks (or least a sum that is outside my budget). Fingers crossed...

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Expect a North Korean degree of disclosure from MFSL about these issues, Claude... Your comment illustrates what MFSL is up against with these reissues: it's hardly as if the Miles catalog has been neglected. With fairly rare exceptions, Sony has been a good steward of this music (especially if one counts Sony Japan). In the end, perhaps MFSL's contribution will be merely to provide alternatives to pricey Japanese reissues.

CBackley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.