Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I've had this order standing for like 2 friggin years now. Honestly I may just cancel it and get a 15 ips dub of the master at this point, stick to 33 RPM for my vinyl needs... I would certainly be able to locate one quicker than this reissue would get here.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, it was; it's planned for release on Analogue Productions, along with Cookin' and Relaxin', all mastered by Kevin Gray. No mention of Workin', though.

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Thanks! I wonder where it is in the queue? xmas '13 or '14?

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This century or the next? ;)

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Disappointing if true. Kind of Blue is the last Miles Davis SACD to be released by MFSL, and the others have been coming out every two months or so. I figured we would see Kind of Blue in May.

6. KeithH

MFSL released a Steamin' SACD several years ago, when they were still using the Super Jewel Box. The catalog number is UDSACD 2019.

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If the Kevin Gray disc approaches the MFSL people are in for a real treat.

8. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Expensive.

9. KeithH

A member here recently claimed that ImportCDs cancelled an order (for what I'm not sure) and did not refund his payment automatically. Apparently, it was a bit of a hassle to get his payment refunded. He was cursing them quite a bit for a few days.

10. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I have it. I don't have a proper quad playback system, but decoding it using Dubly Pro Logic it sounds like they simply added extra reverb for the rear channels. I suspect it is not remixed from the multitrack tapes.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wonder if there are any internet stores people haven't had problems with, some major, some minor. These things happen. Come to think of it, the only internet store I've never had problems with is Mosaic.

12. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

He used PayPal. With visa they don't bill you until the order ships. I've never had a problem with Importcds. My returns have been refunded with no hassle.

13. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I imagine using PayPal makes things difficult. I just placed an order with them using PP. Hope I don't have trouble.

14. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

The only incident I have had with Importcds is when I ordered an item marked 'ships within 5-10 days'. Apparently their system does not flag them but rather cancels (or drops) the order if they do not have the item within that time frame (or something like that). So if you use PayPal make sure it is an item in stock or follow up soon after the wait period.

15. KeithH

Fair enough. I've never ordered from Mosaic, but I've had good luck with Amazon.

That's what I figured since he needed a refund for something he never received. Still, they should have refunded his payment when they cancelled his order. He shouldn't have had to call to get the refund processed.

16. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Thanks, I have always wanted a copy. I have Birds of fire quad and it might be a different mix. I dont have a system for quad I just play it stereo.
    Someday.

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I recall reading somewhere that a new mix was indeed prepared to have Mile's trumpet runs go between different speakers and that the editing involved in creating a new mix was a pain. I wouldn't know how similar it sounds to the original mix to be honest.

Wow, I'm always looking out for the quad birds of fire - one track was mixed from an entirely different take! I forget which.

18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I don't want to get off topic but I love Mahavishnu I have 5 copies of birds, I even love Inner. I think probably most don't but inner 1 and 2 are worth the price of admission alone.
    Met Ralph once great guy.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Agree that the excessive gap between announcement/pre-ordering and release/shipping is getting ridiculous in some cases. On the other hand, in the same Facebook thread the Mofi rep said that the Milestones mono vinyl is due to ship finally in late April, which is delightful news if true. At least the label is trying to do a better job of responding and answering questions on their FB page.

Drexler_McStyles likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Starwanderer likes this.
  21. 1957GoldTop

1957GoldTop Forum Resident

So, it sounds like there will be a MoFi Milestones at the end of April and a Legacy Record Store Day Milestones at the end of April... Which to get?

22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'll believe it when I see it.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I like that Mofi announce titles far in advance. In a couple of instances I have held off seeking out original pressings until I have heard the Mofi.

I see no need to preorder these and have my money tied up. It takes years for these to sell out.

24. 1957GoldTop

1957GoldTop Forum Resident

So if you see it, Legacy RSD or MoFi Milestones?

25. KeithH

Has anyone listened to the Four and More SACD? I played it early Saturday, while my wife was still asleep, so I could not exactly jam. It sounded good, but I need to crank it to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.