Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I'm not a vinyl guy (I know, I probably should be...), anyways, hasn't it been said if your system is truly neutral and non-colored; the SACD and LP version of the MoFi should sound identical?

Anyways, I listened to the MoFi SACD last night, very enjoyable. Though I would love to hear the original LP!!!

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So for those that are big fans of Milestones- if all things were equal...would you put on a Mono or stereo version to listen for enjoyment (as opposed to comparing things)?

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I really couldn't say, as I haven't heard the mono version (not meaning the Japanese 32DP I had, which had some weird artefacts) in ages.

4. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I prefer listening to the Japan SACD (single layer) stereo. It is thin a little sibilant and closed in but still the best of a bad lot that I have heard. The Sony mono '70s LP re-issue I have is boring (straight line down the corridor type sound), no air no detail. The 2000 stereo remaster (Miles/Trane Complete Columbia box) is too sibilant on the saxes and loud- very tiring to listen to.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Uh, yes, I realize Carl compared the 6-eye vinyl to the new mono SACD. I've ordered the not-yet-released mono LP and expect/hope that the Mofi vinyl will sound at least as good as the SACD. Nothing automatic about it, however.

6. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Man, this is tougher than I thought. My SACD player arrived from the repair shop today so I finally had a chance to listen to my newly-acquired 2007 JSACD and mono MFSL SACD for the first time ever, in both cases, on my 2-channel rig tonight.

My plan going into doing the comparison was to pick a favorite and sell the other. But I had difficulty picking one that I liked less -- Its liking picking between one's own children. Both are unique but I couldn't help but love both. For me it came down to certain tracks and sounds. For example, on the title track "Milestones" I slightly preferred the mono because unsurprisingly everything seems more integrated, smoother and just well balanced. When I played this track on the JSACD I couldn't help but feel that the drums coming from the right speaker, for example, stuck out and were not as well integrated into the tune. However, for "Straight No Chaser," a cracking rendition, I slightly preferred the JSACD stereo version. Here is where the live-like feeling that MikeT spoke of shines through and, for my taste, really suits the song well. I could almost imagine a spotlight shining on each of the band members as they stepped up and did their thing. For this tune in particular, I really liked the live-like presence that it evoked.

But I was enjoying the music so much on each of these discs that I found it difficult to try to maintain focus on the comparison -- I could never be a reviewer. I just wanted to lay there and enjoy each for what they were. Sorry I can't be of more help...

In sum, I'm not sure I can relinquish either one...at least not at this point. This is just an amazing album.

7. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Indeed, my early 80's "Milestones" (CBS Sony/Japn 32DP 520) CD is not mono, not stereo, but a "rechanneled for stereo" version...

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Indeed. The first US cd was the same way. Awful, really. Mono, stereo (fairly recent find, I think) sure. . . re-channeled? No!

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That would probably explain the weird sonic artefacts I heard. I got rid of the 32DP.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

"Milestones" was re-released in stereo? News to me! Where? On the Legacy CD...? I only have the 6-eyes original LP.

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I didn't think there was a stereo master. I've seen "Re-channeled for stereo"

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Milestones CD from the Complete Columbia Album Collection is stereo. It is not rechannelled - just listened to the first few minutes of track 1 (didn't have time for more) and it has Miles in the centre, the piano on the left and drums on the right.

13. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

wiki:
    Milestones was originally released in mono, and also was released in electronically re-channeled stereo (also called pseudo-stereo),[6] but was properly remixed and remastered in stereo for The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis with John Coltrane, which created an opportunity to create a proper stereo reissue of Milestones in 2009 on the Columbia/Legacy label.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Interesting. There were a few other '50s Columbia jazz sessions cut in stereo that were never released in stereo until the CD era, ie: Blakey's "Hard Bop."

15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'll rephrase: I didn't think there was a stereo mastered record of Milestones.

Once analog enters the digital domain I lose interest. ;)

16. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Dumb question, but how did you determine this?

The Japanese SRCS CD from 1997 (red obi strip) is also labeled mono. I wonder if it is true mono.

18. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

I have a Sony/Japan "Milestones" CD (SRCS 9103) in mono that certainly sounds different from my rechanneled for stereo 32DP 520. I also have a US Columbia Jazz Masterpieces issue, which is partially in stereo, and partially in mono. I also have a Legacy CD that is all in stereo. So, I know of 4 different sounding CD versions so far...

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

How do you like the SRCS 9103 CD?

20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but did the corresponding Dylan thread disappear?

Referenced here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7922982&postcount=514

But the link doesn't seem to work anymore, and a search doesn't find the thread as far as I can tell.

21. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Well, yes, sort of...perhaps temporarily.

At first it was merged into an existing thread that had already been started on the Dylan Freewheelin' MOFI SACD -- both thread titles were incorporated into the new thread title.

But today a forum member posted something that was deemed controversial. I only knew that because I had subscribed to the thread and could read what he wrote in the message sent to my e-mail account. When I clicked on the link to the actual thread, I was given a message "You do not have authority to view this thread" or something to that effect. I assumed a Gort would just delete or modify the post, but the entire thread seems to have disappeared. I hope it is revived in some form, but I'll leave it to the moderators to do as they see fit of course...

22. korowa

korowa Active Member

Does anyone know if Rob LoVerde will use the (correct speed) safety tape like Mark Wilder for the upcoming "Kind Of Blue" SACD?

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Got Miles Davis' Milestones yesterday and listened to the CD-layer (don't have an SACD player). Nice, full sound, not edgy at all. I'm looking forward to 'Round About Midnight and the others.

24. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I also was searching for that thread yesterday. :cry:

I just got around to listening to the 45rpm mofi Bob Dylan release, and wanted to read about what others thought and learn a little bit about this album's sound. Some tracks sounded great, others rough (probably source?). I only have a really worn copy of this, so I don't really have a good reference for what it's 'supposed' to sound like, or how it relates to other releases.

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

FWIW the Amazon page for the Mofi mono vinyl Milestones now says it'll be released on August 21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.