Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Looking forward to Porgy and Bess and Miles Smiles ! I thought they were releasing Miles Ahead as well or am I remembering wrong ? Lol

2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I don't have the Music Direct 2018 catalogue, so I can't say with certainty, but I can't remember anyone saying Miles Ahead got listed as a 2018 reissue. I certainly wouldn't mind it to be true, though.

I'm not sure if calling them "minor sixties releases" is the right way to put it. They may have sold less copies (sometimes not), but they are still perfectly legitimate releases that would benefit from MFSL mastering: "Miles In Berlin", "Miles in Tokyo", "1958 Miles" (which isn't a 60's album, of course); "Miles at Newport". There's still plenty to do.

MikeJedi, Rob Hughes and J.A.W. like this.
  3. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I would love to see a 45rpm version of 1958 Miles in stereo. The only analog stereo version is in the Mosaic box at 33rpm. The Mofi reissues sound better than the Mosaic is my experience.
    Is there a SACD with the stereo 1958 Miles? If not, would be great if Mofi would do this digital too.

4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

AFAIK there is no SACD version of "1958 Miles", but Sony released DSD mastered CDs in 2001 and 2006. Believe me, I would jump on a SACD/45RPM version immediately, but I fear that MFSL don't consider this album a "classic album" from Miles' discography since it was first released in Japan in the 70's. I'd love to be wrong, though.

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Sorry if this is an irritating question and has been covered previously, but I saw something about "original mixes" above and I'm curious - which Mofi discs use original mixes when previous CD editions did not? I'm something of a purist when it comes to this and what I have are all of the Columbia boxes which were released some years ago like the box for Bitches Brew, the one for In a Silent Way, and On the Corner, the one containing all the quartet stuff in the '50s, and the quintet material in the '60s, etc. I have all of them. I assumed they used original mixes.

6. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Are you referring to the "Complete" box sets? If so, "The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions", "The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions", and "The Complete On the Corner Sessions" have remixed versions of the original albums. Check the booklet notes for your other box sets. The MoFis are original mixes.

Clanceman likes this.
  7. Trainspotting

Yes, I am referring to those boxes. Is it just those three, and not the other Columbia 'complete' boxes? I'll buy any Mofi disc with the original mix if I don't already have it.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

All those boxes are wholly or mostly remixes if I'm not mistaken The MOFI releases are original mixes I believe, with the exception of Kind of Blue which uses I believe a remix provided by Sony.

crispi likes this.
  9. Trainspotting

Ugg... so now I have to buy all of the Mofis.... Sigh, this is gonna kill my wallet.

Jam757 likes this.
  10. Trainspotting

At least I bought the mono box a year or so ago. Those are original mixes.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

It will be wonderful death.

Jam757, Bobby Buckshot and Rob Hughes like this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well. . .all but Kind of Blue IIRC. ;) You'll enjoy the Mobile Fidelity reissues, they sound so much better (to me on my system) than the box set versions.

Pants Party and Quincy like this.
  13. Trainspotting

I don't mimd buying them, as long as I stagger them out over a few months. But really, all of the complete boxes are remixes? The complete quintet, quartet, Gil Evans, and Seven Steps to Heaven boxes are all remixes?

14. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I don't have the other boxes. You might want to check on discogs.com, although it should say in the credits (booklet). @Lonson is right, the Mobile Fidelity reissues are wonderful, and well worth the money.

15. David67

David67 Forum Resident

This is the reason why I sold off all the box sets in the trumpet case.

16. Trainspotting

Well, I did buy the Mofi Round About Midnight and Milestones because they're mono anyway - so there's two I don't have to buy.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The MFSL SACDs are limited editions - I have no idea how much longer they'll remain in print. Some may be available at discount prices.

18. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

'Round About Midnight is already out of print. If I didn't already have them, and presuming that MFSL licensed similar size runs of each title (maybe not true), I'd worry that the other 2012-2013 MFSL SACDs may not be far behind: Milestones, Sketches of Spain, In a Silent Way, and 'Four' & More. Sketches in particular gets all kinds of acclaim around here for one of the largest degrees of improvement in SQ...

Robert C likes this.
  19. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I find the mofi Sketches to be way better than the Mono box one. They are all an improvement for sure but that one did stick out in my mind.

Robert C likes this.
  20. Trainspotting

Why, is the Mofi version mono as well?

Burningfool likes this.
  21. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I should have clarified, sorry. No it’s not, mofi is Stereo. I was mostly responding to this:

I’ve listened to that Mono Box quite a bit and rencently bought the Mofi ones and Sketches is a revelation in comparison.

22. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the answer is in the liner notes to every one of those box sets. Sorry I don't have them in front of me to give you a less snarky answer....

23. Trainspotting

I'm sure you're right. That means locating said boxes in the mountain of CDs I have filed away in various closets around here, then reading each and every booklet in all of the boxes. Easier to ask the experts around here.

24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Yes, indeed. In fact, all stereo studio recordings up to Bitches Brew are remixes in their Columbia Legacy incarnation, with the exception of In a Silent Way and the mono-only recordings. Even most of the live recordings are remixes (At Newport 1958, In Person at the Blackhawk, My Funny Valentine, Four & More, Plugged Nickel; I don't know about Miles in Europe, or Tokyo; Berlin is in mono, anyway.)

25. Trainspotting

So In a Silent Way is not a remix? Funny, I was told yesterday on this very thread that it was.