Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. granola

granola Forum Resident

jfeldt and ciderglider like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

They really should let Music Direct know, as they sent me this 9 days ago:

"Thank you for your phone call. I have confirmed that the Miles Smiles (sacd) will in fact be in Mono.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions."

Jasmine Laurent
    Music Direct
    Customer Service

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    ciderglider likes this.
  3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Wait... now it's Stereo again?

[​IMG]

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

FYI: The Jack Johnson and On the Corner SACDs are both available on Music Direct’s site for $19.99 currently.

I’ve picked up most of the Miles MoFi SACDs for $20 or less so far (except for Bitches Brew) and I’d been holding out on Jack Johnson and On the Corner to see if I could catch them at that price and just happened to notice they were available last night at that price.

metalrules, frightwigwam and hutlock like this.
  5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I was just coming here to post this. Grabbing them as well.

dzhason likes this.
  6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

When I got the email I ordered right on the spot without hemming and hawing: they were only $14! And I should add that I preordered Miles Smiles to get the free shipping. Only one more to go: After Midnight.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    dzhason likes this.
  7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Does anyone definitely know whether the SACD will be the mono mix or stereo? Music Direct still states mono.

8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

All indicators at this stage are pointing to mono, which suits me just fine. If so that would bolster the theory of something having happened to at least the second half of the stereo master tapes. The original multi-tracks (three tracks, in this case) still exist based on Mark Wilder's remixes.

9. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I thought it was mono and then it turned out it was stereo. So it's back to mono?

10. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Hi, first post here, but I'm a longtime hi-res enthusiast with a pretty extensive collection of SACDs and DVD/BD-audio. I just felt compelled to comment that, WOW, these are so good. Good dynamic range (DR meter pegs it @ 12) and it's not mastered too loud. The low end really has a punch that's missing on the redbook versions I've heard. I'm listening to A Tribute to Jack Johnson at the moment, and that walking bass is very prominent. McLaughlin's guitar has all sorts of little nuanced that get lost in other versions. In fact, there are all sorts of minor little details that "pop" which I never noticed before. Next up for today's listening is Bitches Brew and then In A Silent Way.

Anyone else listened to these yet? If so, what were your thoughts? If not, I can strongly recommend!

SteelyTom likes this.
  11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Do any of the MFSL hybrid SACD’s CD layer sound better than their Sony/Legacy CD counterparts?

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, in my opinion they all do.

Mirror Image likes this.
  13. Mirror Image

Hmmm...interesting. Care to elaborate on what exactly you liked about them compared to the Sony/Legacy remasters?

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Warmer, more dynamic, less bright, more analog-sounding.

15. +1 and high resolution as well (if compared to Sony Legacy redbook)

George P and Mirror Image like this.
  16. Mirror Image

Damn...I was hoping you would say they weren’t worth buying. Well there goes another $200. :)

17. George P

George P Notable Member

You won't regret it.

18. Mirror Image

Do you think buying directly from MFSL’s website is a good idea? The reason I’m asking is I’ve never bought directly from them. Thanks in advance for any help.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I use Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds. I'd buy from whomever has the Miles titles you want. Both are great sellers and offer free FedEx shipping if your order is over $100. And both offer 15% off right now. Just be sure to choose FedEx shipping at checkout, as they give you media mail by default.

EVOLVIST and Mirror Image like this.
  20. Mirror Image

Thanks a lot! :righton:

George P likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mirror Image likes this.
  22. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

And in my experience their customer service, especially Angela, is excellent.

Electric likes this.
  24. Mirror Image

George P likes this.
  25. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I have the most of the Japanese single layer SACDs that were released in 2000.
    Nefertiti, On The Corner, Jack Johnson, Porgy and Bess, In A Silent Way, Miles Smiles, Miles Ahead and Milestones.

And the American single layer SACDs of Kind Of Blue, Sketches of Spain and 'Round About Midnight

Are these a substantial upgrade? ? ?