Miles Davis - The Definitive Bootleg Series Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Oct 30, 2011.

1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

It's possible that may not have been able to get rights to the video portion. So much goes on behind the scenes for releases like this that we can only guess the reasons why anything was done, or not done as the case may be.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Loving the performance of "Funky Tonk" from the 1971 show.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  3. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Agree. Though, I don't think I have heard a live recording of that song that I didn't like. A lot. (The cellar door box springs immediately to mind)...

Gabe Walters likes this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Does anyone know if the DVD that was issued with the Kind of Blue 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition in 2008 was ever issued elsewhere? Mine was scratched an unplayable when I got it even though the box was still sealed. :realmad:

5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Mine was also unplayable, but not scratched. I believe this was because of an issue having to do with "faulty authoring". I contacted Sony directly and got a replacement which worked fine. Seems like it was a waste of time anyway, since I haven't felt even the slightest need to re-watch it in 7+ years. YMMV, of course.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I am enjoying the Newport set from 66. It is notable for "Ginger Bread Boy" before Miles revised the piece slightly for the album Miles Smiles (this is also on the Portland recording with Richard Davis on bass).

mw1917 likes this.
  7. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

That Portland recording is equal parts fascinating and frustrating -- fascinating for how Richard negotiates the pieces ("So What" is a highlight -- one of the more distinctive bass performances in Miles' catalog) and frustrating for the varying audibility of Richard.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It is too bad we don't have many other recordings of the 60's gigs with the various bassists who subbed for Ron Carter.

dino77 and mw1917 like this.
  9. george2210

george2210 Forum Resident

Received the 8 record Music on Vinyl Newport boxset yesterday, very happy.

rxcory likes this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Bought the cd set, very nice. They should have let someone proofread the liner notes.
    Imho, the real value in this set is the incredible upgrades in sound quality for the '55, '66 and '67 sets (and complete presentation for the '66 and '67 sets). Everything else was already a) officially released b) available in equal quality elsewhere.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    frightwigwam likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

You must have better copies of the later stuff than I do as the Columbia discs sound better to me. Agree about the incredible upgrades in the earlier sets. I'm looking forward to the next volume!

dino77 likes this.
  12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Next volume: 1960 with Coltrane is my guess. Scheveningen/The Hague, Paris (Olympia), Stockholm, Copenhagen.

brew ziggins, dajokr and Tone_Boss like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Would be nice. I think they'll move forward into the 'seventies and include a DVD.

rxcory likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That would be a goldmine. Not sure why they haven't done it already, maybe rights issues? Fall 60 with Sonny Stitt is also interesting.

15. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Would be a goldmine for sure, though I'd love a Japan 1975 tour box!

16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Me too! I recently got the Japan 1975 radio show and it was good to the last drop. A little light on Sonny Fortune but Pete Cosey's guitar is insane. Only after every single minute of the circa 1970 stuff has been released might we get a 1975 box.

Tone_Boss and subtr like this.
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Haven't those recordings entered the public domain in Europe? I asked for and received a copy of the original broadcast (pre fm) of the Scheveningen concert directly from the broadcaster VARA. They refused Rotterdam (De Doelen) 1967, but I'll try again in 2017. Brilliant sound and Coltrane on fire. I could tell it's from reel to reels because there's a gap and overlay in the track Round about Midnight. It also has the original Dutch intro as well as the Granz intro and outtro. So What was used on the Kind of Blue box.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have this one, and think it sounds pretty good:
    http://amzn.com/B00000AW2R

I have not heard this one:
    http://amzn.com/B00N42F4EI

My taste in Miles start to wain in the early 70s. Here's a vote for more earlier live stuff. I recently found a copy of Black Beauty which was recorded on 4/10/70. Fits in nicely with Bootleg volume 3 (and Live at Fillmore East).

19. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This is how the official versions sound:

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Regurgitating the 1960 tour would make very little sense for Sony. The best of the best which has seen light of day has all been issued on legitimate releases in good sound. The 4 CD Stockholm, the 4 CD Paris, the 2 CD Amsterdam and the single CD Zurich have all been released by the rightful owners of the material. Even if it would be able to license the material, Sony would have to pay exorbitant fees to do so.

Tone_Boss and dino77 like this.
  21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Yes, the Paris was even a Sony (Trema) release. The Hague (Kurhaus / Scheveningen) is still unreleased, except for the rendition of So What. According to the liner notes of the Amsterdam 2cd the afternoon concert was better; Coltrane was/sounds tired in the evening.

JETman likes this.
  22. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

So you just wrote to a radio station and they sent you pre-fm cassettes of a broadcast..?

dino77 likes this.
  23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Exactly. Most of them are still in print too - the Dragon and Trema sets have excellent sq and presentation.

JETman likes this.
  24. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Must...have...more...Pete Cosey...era.

25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

macdaddysinfo likes this.