DCC Archive miles' "in a silent way" SE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Oct 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

i picked up the special edition yesterday and am completely blown away by it.

one of my favorite miles davis albums just got better.

the recordings, while very hissy, are beautifully rendered. it would have been a crime to NO NOISE or compress or limit these recordings in any way. kudos to bob belden to er on the side of hiss and high frequencies.

great remastering and great liner notes. a fine addition to the MD reissue program.

i found my copy on sale for $40 @ tower records, north beach, SF.

later, chris

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Do you know if there will be a single-disc remaster of the original album? Thanks ...

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They released it as a DSD mastered disc in Japan and I'm almost positive it's still available.
    Single disc w/ bonuses. I'll have to re-check the Miles pile when I git home.

4. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Are you referring to the 3 CD set titled "The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions" ? I preordered this. Man, I have been waiting for years for a decent remaster of this album. I wonder what they discovered to make 3 CDs out of it :eek:

Cheers,

Michael

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Beckmann ]

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

in keeping with the program thus far, i would expect a single disc reissue of this title.

later, chris

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I haven't listened to the set, but the comments I've heard basically are that 1) the sound quality is a slight improvement and 2) the unedited sessions just show what a good job Teo Macero did of producing the original LP. That being the case, it's hard for me to understand why anyone interested in the best possible sound quality would even bother with this. The SACD version is an enormous improvement over CD, especially the drums, guitar and organ. Hell, the trumpet and sax are, too. Don't even waste your money on CD versions of the Miles stuff. Now that it's coming out on SACD, we can get much closer to the sessions, or at least the master tape (which in the case of Silent Way is in crappy shape I understand--doesn't matter--the SACD kicks butt, warts and all).

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I am sure there will be a single-disc remaster. So far, all the Miles boxsets have been issued in the individual album format with bonus tracks. But we have to keep in mind that those reissues are made from the digital remixes not the actual masters. The remixes sound great but the hardcore Miles fan will also need the original analog mixes and to my ears, the best sounding version on CD are the japanese Sony DSD Mastersound. Especially for the In A Silent Way-Bitches Brew stuff, the low definition dark sound of the original is part of the mood and the music. Can't live without it...

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Joel, have you heard the Columbia SBM remaster of Kind Of Blue, the one with the bonus version of Flamenco Sketches? I think that one is the one.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That is not the one. The SACD KoB is much better than any CD version. Technically, the DSD remasters from Japan have been SBM'ed.

10. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Ahhhhh, but was it remastered with a tube 3-track machine at the correct speed? It's not the sbm that matters.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Turns out my set was the very early Japan issue from Sony Japan, possibly the 1st ever. (35DP 70) It has some noticeable hiss on it, not sure if it's present in the newer issues the rest of you have (let me know). This issue's jewel box shows its age: "Patent Pending" on the bottom back corner...

12. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Definitely check out the Columbia SBM...sehr gut!

13. Unknown

Unknown Guest

The SACD and the DSDs were made from the original analog mix. I have to admit that the latest Columbia KoB is the cleanest of all. Mastered from three tracks, we can almost say it's not a remix. Less tape generation, less hiss.

14. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Some of the quieter passages with the piano and acoustic bass are really good. Coltrane's sax is also excellent although the trumpet is a bit frayed when reaching the upper registers sometimes, a very minor thing. It's probably the best we'll see, but I could wish Steve had a crack at it. If only it had the phenomenal qualities I hear in Court And Spark...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.