Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz - free album drop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlimburg, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://mileycyrus.com/andherdeadpetz - streaming

should be available on http://mileycyrusandherdeadpetz.com for DL but the site is hammered.

The album is doooooooooope.

I tried thinking about how Miley has transformed from Disney's Hannah Montana into the spectacular self-possessed psych party butterfly we have now but it's too much to comprehend. I truly feel like she's dragging modern pop back into something listenable...

"Karen Don't Be Sad" and "The Floyd Song" sound like Yoshimi-era Flaming Lips.

"BB Talk" should have been cut (spoken word sections = yuck). A couple songs dispense with the overt psychedelic weirdness and just try for future radio plays, but overall this album is SURPRISINGLY good for me.

2. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Sounds good

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"Karen Don't Be Sad" is really good.

starduster likes this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Indeed, Karen - not bad. Like the whacky drum mix a-la Beatles records. Like in Lady Madonna - two drums parts in different channels.

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Just started listening -- sounds good 2 tracks in -- 21 left to go!

6. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

nice surprise. creative. not max martinized. specially coming off the last one that was so dance oriented (not a bad thing). that's brave in itself. funny how when she is on kimmel or other shows. there is never a discussion of music though.
    it is all about "Brand" or some controversy. guess that is the way you have to sell it now.

7. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

This is not something I want, but nice you can get it for free!

buzzzx likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Will check out. This vibrant young lady is certainly making a clean breast of it!

And making the Flaming Lips relevant in an MTV VMA universe is a pretty funny piece of conceptual jiggery pokery...

9. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I tried. Just can't get into it. The songs are entirely about putting off her persona, rather than just being good songs, IMO.

10. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I will have to listen a few more times, but IMO it may be the best song she's ever recorded.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  11. Scopitone

Yes, she's still "protesting too much", and it's a little bit annoying - including the album cover itself.

But a couple of tracks in, and I applaud her intentions to do something different musically than she's done before. Some of these sonmgs aren't too far from the sound of "Adore You", though, which was probably the song I liked best on BANGERZ.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

My God, it's so compressed. Is there a song amongst all that blimped-up sound? If there is, I can't find it.
    Can't say I like the sexual degradation-as-female empowerment vibe of the art either, but that's been her thing I guess.
    I'm not her target audience, of course; even though Wayne Coyne is of my generation.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

So strange to me that albums are free now.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Shame about the compression, something we have to expect these days.
    I find her cool and refreshing, to break from that background was hard and she had to go at it hard.

rxcory, willy and Scopitone like this.
  15. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I'm about to listen, though from what I've heard today the general consensus is that it's a bit bloated and waaaaaaay too long.

Still, Cyrus can't really win, can she? She's a useless teenybopper with no talent one day, and then when she expresses herself creatively she's an attention-seeking hipster trying to be cool.

In the middle of all this, she's still pretty young and only just finding her true voice. I really think she'll come good.

BeatleJWOL, redflag, willy and 5 others like this.
  16. Hardly surprising, since her sleepytime buddy Wayne Coyne is apparently all over this thing.

starduster likes this.
  17. Scopitone

I read one interview this morning where she said the album cost about $50k to make. (and that they spent millions on BANGERZ)

driverdrummer likes this.
  18. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Various co-writes with Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd & tracks recorded/mixed/produced by
    The Flaming Lips according to http://mileycyrus.com/credits

Both links are just giving me the same page with the photo/animation & the soundcloud streams right now, can't see any download links but my connections pretty pants atm so not sure if the sites fully loaded. Have she/they taken them down?

19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Bangerz sounds like a crappy digital home studio recording IMO.

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Of course it's free.

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Screw this! From what I've read in this thread, this free album has compression and probably a low DR number. Show me a healthy waveform and maybe I'll give this FREE ALBUM a listen.

goodiesguy, redflag, drasil and 9 others like this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My guess is that with albums not bringing that much money to the performer and concerts being the big money maker for the artist, it probably makes sense for her to get another album out there that she can pull tracks from for her concerts. Did she perform any of her pre-bangerz songs on tour? I doubt it, and it's hard to put on a concert when you only have one album worth of material to draw from.

23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I think it might have a pretty good dr number, it's meant to sound compressed in parts, but it also has some pretty soft passages. The dynamics to looked pretty nice to me at a glance, but I could be completely mistaken.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I remember this one time when Radiohead gave away an album for free.

BeatleJWOL, katstep, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

has this link actually worked for anybody? I've tried it a few times both last night and today and have yet to see a download link.

rxcory and Lost In The Flood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.