Misheard lyrics that are better than the actual lyrics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Magic Carpet Ride, I always thought he sang "a lousy camel is all I found." And for the life of me, I could not figure out how that camel would help him.

2. hypockets

hypockets Forum Resident

Elton John's "Island Girls".

"I like girls"
    "What you wanted in this wise man's world".
    "He wants to take you from your record boss".

3. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Bob Dylan-Workingman's Blues #2

"Well, they burned my barn, and they stole my horse
    I can't save a dime"

I always heard "I can't say goodbye", which I prefer.

4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The Monkees - "She":

"She devoured all my Sweet 'n' Low..."

Yeah, they claim it's actually "sweet love", but Micky was really singing about his missing sugar substitute.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Johnny Winter: Memory Pain

Serve me right to suffer, for some reason I always heard as serve me right to supper.

6. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

I cannot listen to this song ever again without thinking of this video

7. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

And I thought he was singing "He wants to take you from the record bars."

I thought record bars were where they didn't have live music but only played records. Come to think of it, there used to be a chain of mall stores called Record Bar.

hypockets likes this.
  8. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Okay, this is from only one of the most popular albums of all time, but it took me years to decypher the lyrics. In Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" I thought Stevie Nicks was singing "When the rain wall sheers you clean you'll know." Oh that Stevie, I thought, being weirdly poetic again.

9. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

10. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

One of the funniest bits David Letterman did was a take on this song where they pondered the Bille Jean lyric "the chair is not my son."

Can't find video of that. But here is another take on it.

11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Penny Lane:
    Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
    A pretty nurse is selling puppies from a tray

12. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

"Rave on Patsy Cline" Carl Perkins 'Dixie Fried'
    It's actually "Rave On, cats he cried" I'm told - but I still hear it as the former and like it that way much better.

13. wil50n

wil50n Forum Resident

I'm A Girl

14. wil50n

wil50n Forum Resident

Secret Asian Man - Johnny Rivers

ARK and Rickchick like this.
  15. wil50n

wil50n Forum Resident

Damn !
    I've thought it was "I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada and trigger mix, and his hair was purple"

Sean likes this.
  16. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

"Wrong" lyrics that you feel are more fitting? I think the Airplane missed a trick here.....
    Saturday afternoon
    Yellow clouds rising in the noon
    Acid incense and balloons
    Saturday afternoon
    People dancing everywhere
    OWSLEY shouting I don't care...
    Well that's how I heard it....and still do:)

17. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Air Supply- Lost in Love

"You know you can't fool me, I've been loving you too long/It started so easy/ You're one to carry on..."

Of course it's "You want to carry on" I swear I like "You're one to carry on..." better.

CantonJester and denesis like this.
  18. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Queen - Flash

@1:35 "Gordon's alive" can sound to a German like "Gurkensalat" (cucumber salad).

19. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I always used to think that Paul Simon was "Slip Slidin' Away" to an eerie destination. It gives the song a whole different effect & meaning, which I prefer.
    I always thought The Monkees sang "Take a Giant Step" outside, you're mine. I still prefer it that way, as I think "mind" is dumb & dated.

Some others, like Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes" are much better with the original lyrics than my misheard "better days aside."

20. Resurrecting the thread to post one I just remembered mishearing as a kid, from "When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin:

Actual lyric: "Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan, got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home."
    What I heard: "Mean old lady told me to weed that lawn, got what it takes to make a monkey man leave his home."

So much better! :D

21. A new one: so I'm listening to the new LCD Soundsystem album, and half-way through "How Can You Sleep?" I hear James Murphy start chanting "Biz Markie, Biz Markie, Biz Markie..." The actual lyric is "There's more for you, There's more for you, There's more for you..."

The vocal is relatively low in the mix, so I'm gonna blame that. :)

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Always heard it as "gave my little Bessie head" in Cripple Creek. My band mate corrected me but I continue to sing the harmony vocal part that way cause I am stubborn and have an odd sense of humor. Leveled with him after doing that for three years and he had no idea I had kept doing it.

23. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Strawberry Fields Forever - "No one I think is in my tree". I like my version better: "No more laughing kids in my tree".
    Pretenders "Talk Of The Town" - "And passed like a cloud". Maybe funnier, but not better: "And pissed like a cloud".
    ELO - "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" - the printed lyrics say "Walking on a wave's chicane", but "Walking on a wave she came" works better, and actually rhymes with "name".

illinoisteve likes this.
  24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

No amount of lyric switching is going to save this song, arguably the most annoying of all time (sorry, couldn't help myself there :help: )

Back to the fun. I always thought that changing deliberate mispronunciations of lyrics would ruin songs. Example: imagining Michael Jackson singing his many "shamon" 's or whatever it is he says is still better than "come on."

25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

My wife was always baffled by one particular line in Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's Almost Cut My Hair:

Increases my paranoia
    Like looking in my mirror and seeing a Polish guy

Totally changes the meaning.

It was Crosby's unusual pronunciation of "PO-lice car" that threw her.

Dudley Morris likes this.