Missing Compact Disc Digital Audio logo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HGN2001, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

I've just noticed that two recent CDs from the Universal stable that I've purchased do NOT have anywhere on their packaging, the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo.

[​IMG]

One is from the Island label, a re-issue of Nick Drake's PINK MOON, the other is an A&M labeled disc from Latin artist Maria Conchita Alonso. Maria's prior release on the A&M label had the logo embossed on the tray, but this one, Mirame copyrighted 2003, has a rectangle on the tray with nothing in it. Same with Nick Drake's disc - just a blank space on the tray. Nowhere on the packaging or artwork is the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo to be found.

Is this an indication of some kind of copy protection scheme? Do these discs not conform to the redbook standard? Or is this simply a trend away from using the logo the way the Compact Cassette logo disappeared over time?

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I am under the impression that if a CD has copy protection that makes it non-Redbook standard then the logo may not be displayed. I try not to buy such discs if I can help it.

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The situation is not very clear

Philips Burning on Protection (Wired News)

Anyway, who really looks for the CD logo? It would be much more useful to have a copy protection logo. But like in the case of genetically modified food, the industry doesn't want to see the consumers informed.

4. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Wow, the same as in "Running Man" and other movies? Cool! I loved her back then. Didn't know that she also sings!

The missing logo seems to be a "copy protection = non redbook standard" thing to me...

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Re: Re: Missing Compact Disc Digital Audio logo

Yes. Same lady. She recorded Latin three albums for the AyM Discos imprint of A&M back in the 80s. One track even had Herb Alpert backing her, which is how I got interested in her work.

Currently, her last-of-three albums, the one I referenced, MIRAME, is back in print. Got it through Amazon. There was also a greatest hits package released back in 2000 on the A&M label.

6. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The lack of the logo may indicate copy protection (discs with copy protections methods don't meet red book standards).

But it may simply be that the patents on CD have run out, so there's no need to display the logo (or pay Philips and Sony any more).

7. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Re: Re: Missing Compact Disc Digital Audio logo

Good point!

8. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Labeling a CD "compact disc, digital audio" is moot anyway. So is advertising a CD as "digitally remastered".

9. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I noticed this has been missing from some compact disc players lately also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.