Mistakes etc in liner notes/lyric sheets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

What have you found that was left off, wrong, etc in liner notes or lyric sheets

On George Harrison’s “Awaiting on You All” the last indecipherable stanza was left off the lyric sheet. I thought it was something about nineteen seventy one until I looked it up on Google, Starts with “The pope owns 71% of General Motors...”

George Harrison – Awaiting on You All Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

DK Pete likes this.
  2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I've noticed over the years that the printed lyrics within liner notes almost always have at least one error.

Egg Crisis and ponkine like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

There were some glorious ones on a Korean pressing of the Church's Starfish. "Down falls the real one in some top hats", indeed. (Real line: "Out flows the river into darkness")

Sean, wrappedinsky and izgoblin like this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Pink Floyd The Wall

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Japanese lyric sheet for Ramones it's Alive:

"C-U-F-E, everyone's accusing me!"

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

On the remastered ' Exile On Main Street ' from a few years back the accompanying
    bare bones skimpy booklet has possibly the most inaccurate musician credits I' ve ever seen.
    It's embarrassingly bad.

7. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

I remember noticing on the lyrics on my brothers copy of Nebraska by Springsteen,, one of my favourite lines, " I got debts no honest man can pay" from Atlantic City was printed wrong . Unfortunately the lyric insert is missing on my copy so can't confirm this.

8. Wildest cat from montana

On ' Plastic Ono Band ' , Lennon' s f-bombs on ' Working Class Hero ' on the lyric sheet are replaced by this ' edit' : " Deleted at the insistence of EMI "

9. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

We really should have a thread dedicated to poorly transcribed Japanese lyric sheets. Some of them are downright hilarious.

One that always sticks out at me is one line from Captain Beyond's first album as seen in the Japanese CD: "I'm so common on your grave". I had no idea what the line actually was until I saw a live performance which revealed it to be "I saw no color, only grey."

Close enough, right?

10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was a dedicated reader of Hit Parader during the era (roughly late 1965 through 1967) when Jim Delahant was the editor and they morphed from a typical teen magazine of the era to the VERY FIRST in the U.S. to actually take rock music seriously — long before Rolling Stone or even Crawdaddy.

They continued to print song lyrics, though, and among the more amusing were those to the last verse of Moby Grape's "Hey Grandma."

They had it has:

A good mussin' make you feel so fine
    A good mussin' with elderberry wine

When in fact, of course, it's

Robitussin make you feel so fine
    Robitussin and elderberry wine

I guess they figured even the mag's advanced readers of the day couldn't handle the notion of cough syrup as a drug of choice!

izgoblin likes this.
  11. Freddy Steady

Freddy Steady Forum Resident

A new season?

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  12. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Suite Judy Blue Eyes (CSN debut album 1969)

‘Lacy lilting lyric’

I think on the album lyric sheet it was printed ‘Lacy lilting lady’

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have a Japanese CD pressing of Raspberries' fourth and final album Starting Over.

It includes lyrics that were quite obviously transcribed by someone who was not a native English speaker. Many are just beyond incredible.

I can't come up with any from memory, but will try to look later tonight and share some.

izgoblin likes this.
  14. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Happy XMas War is Over- Shaved Fish

On the lyric sheet:
    Happy Christmas John
    Happy Christmas Yoko

They were actually saying:
    Happy Christmas Julian
    Happy Christmas Kyoko

(although it is really hard to hear the difference)

Suncola likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Did they at least get the first line of ' Overnight Sensation ( Hit Record ) ' right?
    Great song , great album.

TheGoodDoctor likes this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

My Abbey Road anniversary set has a silhouette of the famous street crossing photo, with the legend:
    THE ABBEY ROAD.

17. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Dylan’s More Blood More Tracks managed to somehow miss out two entire (and interesting) pages of the insert book.

they made them available as pdfs. Err thanks guys.

18. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

I think I remember the printed lyrics of Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" being correct, but Plant sings them wrong on the recording!

squittolo likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know if this qualifies but my entire life I thought that wherever I saw the lyrics to "Something" , there was an error; the first time I saw this was on the inner sleeve of the "blue" album back in 1973. The line in question ....I can swear he sings , "..you know I believe IN how..". Years later when I pointed this "mistake"out to a friend, he said that the printed lyrics, "you know I believe AND how" were correct. Decades later, whenever I hear the song, I'm still hearing "in".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The last verse of Uriah Heep's "Paradise/The Spell" is another case of a verse being left off the lyric sheet (probably intentionally). As is the "wash Uffizi" line from Phish's "You Enjoy Myself."

ARK likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Springsteen used that line in two different songs on the album, "Atlantic City" and "Johnny 99." I think he revised the line in "Atlantic City" for the lyric sheet.

BurntOutBassment likes this.
  22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The inner sleeve of the original UK version of Aladdin Sane inadvertently omitted half of the first line of Cracked Actor:

I've come on a few years from my Hollywood Highs
    The best of the last, the cleanest star they ever had

[​IMG]

I didn’t know at the time, but the US version got it right:

[​IMG]

24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Yes, Close to the Edge. The inner sleeve featured handwritten lyrics. A line ending in "...we don't understand" is shortly followed by one ending with "...we understood will be." The handwritten lyric at that point is "...we don't understood will be."

The lyrics included with Jon Anderson's 3 Ships Christmas album are also handwritten, with repeated misspellings of "choir" as "chior."

The lyric sleeves of the Beatles compilations 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 are swarming with mistakes, gradually corrected as new editions came out. I think they fixed them all in the booklets for the 2010 remastered CDs, but I haven't carefully checked for each one.

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Nope! They have it as:

Well I know it sounds funny
    But I'm not leavin' for the mornin' show

There are many more, but here's a favorite from "Play On" (admittedly, the real lyrics might be tough if you don't know them):

Get a break and find a place you can hide
    'Cause tonight you've got to be a star personified

But here's how it came out on the Japanese release:

Get awakened from the place you get high
    'Cause tonight you've got really so stop a sun in five

Ringmaster_D likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.