MMF-5 Update!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Koz, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam Thread Starter

As some of you know, I purchased a Music Hall MMF-5 from fellow forum member prix. I never set a table up before. In the past, I always had it done for me, when (in the good old days) all audio dealers sold them.

Anyway, I wasn't sure about a couple of things, and when I finally thought I was up and running, I really wasn't. I began to hear some distortion and sibilance, especially as the arm was playing towards the center of the record. I though it might be a anti-skating issue, but I wasn't sure. I called prix last night and he walked me through setting up the arm and checking for VTA and a couple of other things. All I can say is, prix and I had a great three hour plus conversation, about records, recordings, tubes, turntables, CD's and speakers.
    Oh yeah, we did get around to setting the turntable up. And let me tell you, this table is now up and running like it should be, and is playing just awesome!!!

I want everybody here who is reading this, to know that prix, was more than helpful and more than patient with me, going through setting this table up. I want to thank him again for all his help and guidance while I was purchasing this table. :thumbsup:

2. audio

audio New Member

It was my pleasure, Joe! I really enjoyed talking with you. Seems like we hit it off straight away, no? Hey man....sorry if I talked your ear off about tube amps but that's what happens when I get started talking about audiophile gear. In any case, thank you again for your purchase. I'm glad we got you going there and thanks for playing me that Beatles lp!:D

3. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

Joe:

What were you doing wrong and how did you fix it? Perhaps I'm doing the same?

4. audio

audio New Member

You don't want to know.:D

5. Joe Koz

Your right prix, but I'll tell him anyway!

MITBeta, First of all, prix had me balance the arm over an edge of a record that was on the platter. I was balancing the arm in between the platter and the arm rest (which is the way the manual tells you) and I wasn't checking the VTA, like I should have. Prix also had me check how the cart was positioned in the head shell, by using the protractor that came with MMF-5. Now for the stupid thing I did!!! The manual tells you to hold the counterweight while you move the tracking force scale to zero to see if you have zeroed the arm correctly. When the manual tells you to turn the tracking force scale to 1.75 grams, I was holding the counterweight!!! Duh!!!
    The funny thing is, I knew by the way I was doing it, that the tracking force scale wasn't going to do any thing by holding the counterweight. But, I kept doing it that way. And, of course when I would put the anti-staking weight on, the arm was all over the place. Why I was able to play anything, was the simple fact that I probably moved the counterweight while turning the tracking force scale to 1.75 grams and it was enough to make it play some what half @$$ed!!! So, talk about feeling stupid!!!
    Oh well...live...and learn!

If I forgot anything, I'll give prix permission to chime in here, and give further details.

6. Mok

Mok Has Potential

I own an MMF-5 and I got the Shure stylus force gauge ($20) specifically for this reason: those tracking force scales on the counterweight can be off. Sure enough, the 1.75g I thought I had turned out to be between 1.5 and 1.6 on the Shure. I rebalanced and it hits the groove solid. It is a cheap investment and a much easier and more reliable solution to balancing your tonearm/cartridge. Needless to say, it may be a good idea to rotate between .1 and .2 extra grams of force on your MMF-5. Aside from that (and that's really a minor issue), the MMF-5 has been a joy to own and really delivers. Enjoy!

7. Joe Koz

The Shure stylus force gauge, is going to be my next purchase! That, and a test record!

8. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I agree with Mok: I borrowed a force gauge and while my initial setup was pretty close, I found that a bit more force was required to be dialed in to agree with the force guage. So the setting on my counterweight now reads 19. Clearly since there is no alignment mark on the tonearm against which to match the marks on the counterweight one person's setup will vary slightly from the next.

I'm glad that you've got yours all set correctly now...

9. Joe Koz

I ordered the Shure force gauge this morning from Acoustic Sound. They said it would ship today. Hopefully, I'll have it early next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.