MMG Questions (and Impressions)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doc Sarvis, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

I'd be curious to know how that compares, after shipping, to buying two new 2200's @ $674 (shipping included).

I thought about going used, but I would like a warranty, return policy and in the case of the MMG's, the ability to upgrade in the first year.

2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

That post was from 12/22 so I'm hoping he'll come down in price and we can split shipping. *shrug* who knows. At this rate I may just go new all the way around. :)

3. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Barry,

I got to play with positioning my MMGs this past Saturday.

I brought them in to within a couple of inches of the racks and things seemed to get a bit congested, whether firing straight away or toed-in at various degrees. The bass was better, but at the expense of a flatter soundstage.

However, after slowly moving them back toward the side walls (a half-inch at a time. Really.) the soundstage began to come back. After it was all said and done they ended up 12-inches from the sides, 6-inches closer on both sides to the center than they were and 38-inches from the front wall. Toe-in at about 12 degrees. The bass locked-in and the soundstage opened up again...and might even be a little better than before (I'm checking with my friend Placebo to be sure).

I've learned three things:
    1. Listen to those who have more experience than you.
    2. A half-inch here and there makes a big difference at times.
    3. To resist an easy joke about item #2 and my wife :).

Thanks again!

4. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Follow Up

I am happily using the MMGs with my PrimaLuna Prologue One (35 wpc!) with great results - I find the overall sound more pleasing than I did with the 160 wpc Outlaw receiver. I know this is counter to the other folks posting here who argue more much more power, but it just sounds good to me. For what it's worth, the Planar forum at Audio Asylum has several posters who use lower powered tube amps with MMGs.

After much tweaking of positioning, I am folowing Barry Diament's recommeded placement diagram with great results.

Anyway, the update's not why I'm posting. I've noticed with certain recordings (70's classic rock - I noticed it on Led Zep's Runes CD and on ELO's Out of the Blue on vinyl) I get an unexpected sound in the drums. At first it sounds a bit like the thumping of a blown speaker (much less of a "problematic" sound though), but on more careful listening it "resolves" to sound more like exceedingly detailed bass drum transparency. Could this be (on the negative side) a problem with the speakers or placement, or could it just be that I am hearing more detail than with other speakers? Thoughts? The effect is not unpleasant. Interestingly I have only noticed it with 70's recordings.

5. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

Makes me wonder how much difference the transformer in the Tube amp is making? Do some output transformers make it easier to drive a 4 ohm load??

6. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yes, the output transformer is very important for the amp-Maggie interface. Doc is hearing the beauty of using tubes with Maggies, but is running out of watts with stuff like Led Zep. Big tube amps (with beefy transformers) are a match made in heaven for Maggies - especially in the mid-bass, which is one of this speakers strengths.

7. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I am really beginning to hate this forum!

Based on the information on this thread, I just placed my order for a set of MMGs. This all began with a desire to upgrade my travel system from the Insignia speakers that I am now using to something a bit better. Intense scouring of Audiogon turned up some DM602s in my price range - but the seller would not agree to drive 12 miles to meet me for the sale. Then I just missed out on an $850 set of Spendors. After giving up entirely, I found this thread. Damn it.

The speakers should arrive on Monday or Tuesday and I'll give them at least 150 hours of break in. The amp is my go-to Onix SP-3. It produces 38wpc but it has had no trouble driving some pretty difficult speakers. Based on a poster's experience above, if the Primaluna can drive them, then the Onix should be able to as well.

I'll post my impressions after the break-in period.

8. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Dave,

Congratulations! (I think. :sigh:)

150 hours will be a start for breaking in Maggies.
    By then, things will have smoothed out and the bass will have started to show itself. I'd say they'll "arrive" after about 400 hours.

While 35w will get some music out of them, in my view it is simply not enough juice (and more importantly current, particularly with tubes). But hey, that's me. You may feel differently.

I'll tell you this: If you come to like the Maggies, those 602s will sound downright painful and the Spendors will... Well, you'll see.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.
    Have fun!

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

9. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

In spite of Mr. Diament's admonitions, I am really looking forward to the arrival of the MMGs!

This is prompted by the setup of my current system in my new corp apartment this week. Most folks know that I am using the lowly BB Insignia speakers in this system. In the past two places that I have lived, the listening spaces have been pretty small and had a number of hard surfaces. This cause the speakers to be a bit 'shouty', a condition that I put up with because the speakers were cheap and they had decent imaging.

Flash forward to this last Tuesday when, armed with my tape measure and laser pointer, I set the little beasts up in the new space. The living room is 11 ft wide and can be up to 18 ft deep. This gave me the freedom to put the speakers wherever they sound best. They ended up 3.5 ft from the front wall, 80" apart, and 100" from the listening position.

Wow! These things lost the shouty midrange and the imaging is amazing! They pull the disappearing act as well as anything I've ever heard!

So why all of this in this post? The Insignia's are $90 speakers. If Mr. Diament and others say that the MMGs are better than B&W and Spendor bookshelf speakers, then I am really in for a treat! Right now, I am having trouble fathoming better imaging than I am hearing right now.

I'll post back when the break-in period is well under way for the MMGs.

10. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Double post.

11. bdiament

Hi David,

With an 11 x 18 space, I'd consider leaving more room behind the speakers and less space between them.

See this for some ideas and details.

Best regards,
    Barry

12. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I drive my MMG's hard. I just can't get enough.

13. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

I just added to my collection of Maggies . I have a pair of fully modded MGII's , a pair of MGI's waiting to get home-made quasi ribbons this spring , and I just received a pair of MMG's .

The MMG's will get upgraded cross overs , and wooden frames this spring . . . I can't wait . lol

14. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I have the feeling that I may have just jumped into a money-pit! The more I read, the more I understand the possibilities. Here's waiting until Tuesday!

15. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

Nahhhh , Dave , You'll be Fine !!!

I have not heard the MMG's yet , I have to re-wire them , so my out board cross overs will work with them . . .

Stock Maggies Sing . . .

Cheers , Stephen

16. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Who does your crossover? Is it really that much of a difference? I got MMG myself.

17. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

would 120 wpc at 4Ohm be enough to drive these speakers well?

18. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

It is enough. Magnepan does not require super high wattage.

19. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

That's an understatement.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Hey Dave.

I have my MMG in about the same space and shape room (11x21x10) and I agree with Barry...farther our from the front wall and a little closer together.

As to the "better than..." comment: In addition to my MMGs I also have B&W DM620s, Quad 22Ls and a pair of Totem Model 1s to choose from. I can't say for sure the MMGs sound better with all types of music but they sure sound good. Since I've put mine in the loop (six month ago), they're all I've listened to and I'm going to put my Quads up for sale. You're going to love them l'il Maggies in that size room. I'm having a blast with mine.

Isn't it thoughtful for your Forum friends to help you spend your money? :)

21. bdiament

Hi winged creature,

Maggies want current more than they want wattage. If the amp can deliver the current, the Maggies will be happy.

So, it depends on the amp. There are some amps with ratings of a few hundred watts per channel that have inadequate power supplies to keep the price down. These will achieve the wattage on a spec sheet but don't have the "juice" to take control of a Maggie. With amps like this, the speaker might "bottom", creating a nasty sound on dynamic peaks.

Best regards,
    Barry

22. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

how do u know if ur amp has a big enough power supply

23. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

You find out when you start playing them and then find out your amp starts getting hot very quickly and the speakers start sounding distorted.

Then you try another amp and see how it likes them.

I know Barry likes the Outlaw amps and he has his feelings on my choice, but I have a QSC GX5 which is a class H amplifier that is spec'd at 700 watts per channel into 4 ohm.

Maybe it does push that amount, maybe not, but I can really drive the Maggies hard with this amp. I have 10G Acoustic Research wire on them too.

24. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Ahh... so it is you who drove insane amount of power into the Maggies. You know... too much power will make thing sound harsh... even boxed speakers. You have to find the middle where the system sounds very pleasing.

25. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I didn't want to start yet another MMG thread.

First, does anybody use a sub with the Maggies? And if so, what size, model, and/or brand, and at what crossover do you have them set at?

These speakers sound like an incredible bargain, but the low end is all that I'd be worried about. I like a tight, accurate, tuneful bass, which it sounds like the MMG's have. But I also like it to punch me in the gut when it needs too and I don't think the planar type speakers are able to do that.

I know someone that has some huge Maggies (I don't know what model) and they sound great, they just don't have that punch to them that some box speakers and a sub have.

I listen mostly to classic rock and jazz, but I listen to a lot of other stuff too, just not as much as those first two. If that will help anybody out on whether or not the MMG's would be a good match for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.