Mobile Fidelity enters the turntable market (UPDATE: phono stages and cartridges, also)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Nice interview. Looking forward to some reviews. When are they supposed to hit the street?

2. You gotta remember that this is NOT Mobile Fidelity's first entry into hardware. About ten years ago, they developed a line of speakers. They might have marketed phono cartridges as well, if my memory is correct.

3. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

They did speakers and an "Ultra amp" I believe. Both failed miserably. Table looks nice and with the name and designer behind it it may make an impact in a highly competitive market segment for he table and cart as well.

4. I remember that the MoFi speakers weren't available for very long, had nice wood finishes but otherwise very ugly design, and were relatively expensive. Never heard them, though. I seem to remember there were phono cartridges . . .

5. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

6. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I think these tables look awesome. For about two hundred more than an RP3 (that's taking cart into consideration) you get a USA made table with a delrin platter, which is a $250 upgrade from Groovetracer for RP3.

No way of knowing from the pics, and it wasn't mentioned in the interview, but if the sub-platter is machined, this would also add great value compared to the RP3, which has an injection molded sub-platter. I'd at least expect the higher-end Mofi table to have a machined sub-platter.

I also like the idea of a software company making the hardware. Mofi can keep their tables high value if it helps them sell more records. Similar to how video game consoles are low margin because all the money is in the games.

googlymoogly, raferx and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I agree with you fully, it is the rule. But every once and a while, a company brings a product to the market the right way. This looks to be one of these companies.

The Era speakers that I have, came out of the blue. Did the world need another speaker company, who would have thought they could bring something to the table that many, many others have not already done? But they did and were successful.

So next, they come up with the Decco, then the Nova and iNova, under the Peachtree name. So, they become known for their speakers, and then, they change their whole direction and come up with integrated amps. The older Era, line focused on HT, with center channel speakers. Now their speaker line is rebranded under the Peachtree name and they no longer offer a center channel speaker as their focus is now 2-channel stereo. Strangely enough, they no longer offer a tower speaker, where Era offered two models.

Emotiva, Zu and many others have come on the scene, like blockbusters, but came out of nowhere. All of these companies eventually had to prove themselves, but, they started out of the gate with quality products.

Companies like Crosley, who, by their own admission, made novelty products at low price points. One thing I will comment on, in favor of Crosley, is, without them, I highly doubt the current resurgence in vinyl would have come about. With real audio stores, being few and far between, people today only know products (i.e. turntables), from what they see in the big box stores. In these stores, Crosby is the best selling and someetimes only turntable line.

Truthfully, once Crosly TT's hit the $200 mark, they are probably no worse today, than the budget TT's, kids had back in the 60's, as far as record wear is concerned.

I wouldn't play any of my records on them.

Due to the vinyl resergence, Crosly, has become a larger company and they are realizing their oppertunities. Like it or not, they are posed to become the Beats of turntables.

That, is not a bad thing either. Crosley is an entry point for people to rediscover vinyl. From there many will move on to better TT's from other manufactures.

recstar24 likes this.
  8. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I believe they own BAT.

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Crosley actually sells some half decent Hanpin OEM turntables in addition to the junk that made them what they are. Check it out. https://crosleyradio.com/Turntables They have a Pro-Ject re-brand as well.https://crosleyradio.com/ProductDetail?Cat=2&pk=C10A&colorID=18

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

DPC likes this.
  11. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Ghostworld, Dan C and JMAC like this.
  12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Uhh...weren't they shown at CES 2016 as well?

13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'd honestly give them more consideration that I would give to the new Shinola table. They seem to hold audiophile value, as opposed to Shinola's "lifestyle appeal". Even the more expensive model may not be too overpriced, given the specs. I wish them much luck and will put them on my list.

14. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Unless the thread is buried somewhere!

clhboa and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That looks like a lot of turntable for $999.

16. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Do you think Audio Fidelity will develop a turntable as well?

Mitsuman likes this.
  17. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

18. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Who knows? I just posted the link.

19. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Well, since there is now a Mark Levinson coming out, maybe the Steve Hoffman model by Audio Fidelity? :laugh:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I saw these turntables yesterday and listened to the Mo-Fi Ultra Deck, cartridge, and phono stage, and I have to say, these are some sexy looking turntables. Listening to the Santana Abraxas ULTRADISC 1 on this turntable through a Brinkman integrated amp, Playback Designs Merlot DAC, Transparent audio and speaker cables, and Wilson Audio's Sabrina Loudspeakers, I was basking in some mighty fine sound. I think they have a hit on their hands. This was in a very large room and probably not the most ideal setting, but this still did a remarkable job of filling the room with some sonic bliss.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cyclone Ranger and bluemooze like this.
  21. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Much like Pioneer and Elac enlisted the help of Andrew Jones, MFSL did a smart thing by going to Allen Perkins. With his knowledge these would be at the top of my shopping list if I was looking in that price range.

bluemooze and DonnyMe like this.
  22. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Agreed. These are worthy of consideration. I'm sure they will create some buzz when they reach the market.

23. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

The Studiodeck and Ultradeck are up for sale today at Music Direct. First I have seen them. You can get with or without the MOFI MM cartridges. I don't see the third higher end cartridge option ($850) that Fremer mentioned in his article yet. MD also has two MOFI phono preamps available that I hadn't seen, one with headphone/volume, one without.

Curious how these decks sound as I am in the market for a new turntable and a loyal MFSL customer since the 90s.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    PhilBiker likes this.
  24. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

They could sound like a million bucks but to me, they look to much like a Sony - PS-HX500

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.