Mobile Fidelity Judas Priest Numbered Limited Edition LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 808_state, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中 Thread Starter

It just gets better...got the shipping confirmation today from Music Direct for Screaming for Vengeance...should arrive Thursday...need to clean up my two SFV originals for comparisons...now just waiting on Stained Class.

If SFV is infact good I am also thinking Mofi could handle Unleashed in the East. I like my copy but there are layers of sound in that recording and so long as they maintain the "live" feel I think it could benefit from whatever treatment they gave to Killing Machine. I am convinced however that Music on Vinyl (and only they) could produce a world class if not "the" definitive version of Painkiller.

2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Keep us posted 808!

3. 808_state

4. 808_state

And this is how clean my reference copy of FC-38160 is...I paid $10 for it and didn't realize it was that clean until today:

[​IMG]

5. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Well???????

6. 808_state

Ok, as shown above FC-38160 was used as my reference. Gave it a thorough cleaning and listened to it first. Wow, I grew up on my brother's copy and never realized just how good this edition sounds. Honestly I don't know if mastering gets any better than this and I now really understand people's anger surrounding the absurd Astley remixes and their blown out low end. This one squeals, howls and thumps with perfect balance in every way. If you don't own a copy of this original gem then buy one, soon!

Now on to Mofi's release: it's much closer to FC-38160 than Killing Machine was to HBFL and that could of course be a result of which set of tapes were used. For side one the only major difference is that it's a touch quieter than the original but that's easily fixed with a slight turn of the dial. I did notice slightly better separation of the bass guitar from the kick drum on "Pain and Pleasure" but the original thumps a little harder and carries a little more weight to it. Side two really shines during the end of "Another thing Comin" on through "Fever" and "Devil's Child". They may have played around with adding a little more clarity/separation in the drums and it comes off with a nice firm punch. It's a subtle difference from the original but I like it just as well. So based on a side by side I can say with confidence that FC-38160 is a must own for any serious Priest fan, because it just has a power and magic all it's own. However if you find yourself frustrated in your search for a clean copy then Mofi's version should keep your ears happy until that day arrives. Buy both and be a happy metal camper...well done Mofi, this without question boosts my confidence in your company and definitely ups the bar of expectations for Stained Class. Thank you for respecting the Metal! :righton:

hi_watt, Goldy, Brudy and 1 other person like this.
  7. 808_state

And there you have it ; )

8. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Well, after looking into it (re: my earlier post) all I can find is info on the Silver Series releases on vinyl. So, looks like no mofi Judas Priest releases on CD (or hybrid SACD). Oh well :cry:

9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Well done! I might add that the MFSL gatefold packaging looks awesome!

10. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Indeed I do! Thanks 808_state! Very well done indeed!

11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I would add in TURBO as well.

12. 808_state

I think the Mofi packaging really underscores how pointless most inserts are. Either print a single flat page for the info or adapt it to a gatefold and put the LP in a poly/rice-paper sleeve. Anything else damages the LP. Thankfully companies like Mofi and MOV really understand that LP's are more than a "stocking stuffer".

Brudy likes this.
  13. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Thanks for the reviews. I'll have to pick up a copy of SFV.

808_state likes this.
  14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Along side Elvis' Aloha, Brian Setzer's first solo release, Rumours and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, sits Screaming For Vengeance rounding out my top-5 desert island discs. Haven't found an original Columbia LP that's prestine so I won't hesitite to grab this. In fact as soon as I hit 'post reply' I'm heading to Music Direct. Awesome! Now without further delay...........(CLICK!!)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    808_state likes this.
  15. 808_state

This was a hugely successful record produced en mass and if you keep looking you will be rewarded handsomely, but certainly in the meantime you will really like the Mofi. Play it loud!

thxphotog likes this.
  16. 808_state

Just got the shipping confirmation for Stained Class, Saturday should be the day. Got to give big ups to Music Direct for getting them out as soon as they come in, but man am I getting too used to having a fresh Priest album every other week, might later go into a deep depression after the faucet turns off ; )

celticbob likes this.
  17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Looking forward to your review. I love the SC album.

808_state likes this.
  18. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Wondering why they're not available from Amazon yet...

19. Sox68

Sox68 Forum Resident

I just finished enjoying Stained Class, which arrived today (#109). I will keep my comments short - Les Binks really shines on this version, very good dynamics overall, highly recommended. One of the most influential metal albums ever!

celticbob and 808_state like this.
  20. 808_state

Good to hear, you must be ahead of me in the queue! I've got both a US and a Japanese pressing of SC (very strong pressings), it's going to be a royal rumble...ok Mofi, Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings and Sin after Sin, let's do this!

21. 808_state

22. 808_state

Lookin' quite nice atop the YP-D4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the Epic/Japan edition is quite clean.

black sheriff, Deuce66 and Goldy like this.
  23. 808_state

Reference copies were: Columbia JC-35296 (USA) and Epic 25-3P-47 (Japan)

For what is essentially one of Priest's most subdued recordings this A to B to C comparison was a lot more interesting than the other two releases. I started with the Columbia and would say that it's overall a solid pressing, maybe a few faint crackles here and there but no mystery distortions. It is strongest in the mid-range (smooth in a good way) and is much lighter in the upper and lower end than those found in the Mofi & Epic. Honestly the coolest thing about it is how at the very end of "Heroes End" the fade out sounds as though the record is refusing to go willingly and I actually really like this unexpected visceral feel. So if you find a clean copy for not too much cash, buy it, but don't pay a lot.

On to the Mofi...As you can see from the pics above it just looks great, same heavy card stock and though the gatefold is not too wild it's still very cool. And the sound...while the mid-range is not as sweet as the Columbia, the lows and highs are far more potent and the guitars seriously howl in places. It does sound as though there may have been some EQ tweaks in places, especially on side B. The best example of differences is on "Beyond the Realms of Death". The opening acoustic guitar is much sharper on the Mofi but the heavy strumming chorus (kinda sounds like Bad Company) just doesn't hit as hard as the Columbia. In most cases though I think they made the right decisions to pump things up where they had to and it definitely has a little more thump on most songs than the Columbia does. Despite the difference in the mid-range, both the Columbia and Mofi do seem to share a similar kind of "mellow" feel. Overall I really commend Mofi for preserving what seems to be the intended feel of the recording and the vocal clarity is really nice. Let me add that the sort of sterile vocals you hear on the CD versions of this record are not representative of this recording at all because on both the Columbia and the Mofi there is palpable warmth. The only thing that was strange was a small amount of tape hiss at the start of side A. It fades out but it's not present on the Columbia or the Epic. Still though I'm going to say that the Mofi is preferable to the Columbia.

Ok well I hate to do this but I had to include my Epic Japan copy and the bottom line is that it smokes both the Columbia and the Mofi. I am not faulting Mofi as I am sure they have done a superb job with whatever was made available to them but the Epic is a crusher. Better vocal clarity, the low end actually exists, the mid-range is just right and the highs are pitch perfect. There is so much clarity in the vocals in fact that you can hear every waver and ripple of the effects they used to modulate Rob's voice in places (which as just not as apparent on the other two). The guitars buzz a little more and the kick drum is more present throughout. I unconsciously started bobbing my head while listening and for metal that's the desired result. Seriously find a super clean copy of this and crank it up. If it's too pricey then go with the Mofi.

Let me reiterate that I really had no idea what to expect from any of these as my past experience with Mofi was not too good. With these efforts it's safe to say that Mofi is indeed very capable of pressing good records and I would like to hear them do other metal releases of note. I of course would especially love to review more of these Priest gems and I invite Mofi to complete the catalog (just not Painkiller, let Furnace or MOV have that one thanks).

I sure hope there's a next time...808.

24. 808_state

A few closer looks at the Epic insert and bullseye label. Unfortunately I don't have the Obi but the cover looks identical to the Columbia (Epic is at the top and Columbia is lower right in the triumverate photo above).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. 808_state

Running my Yamaha CA-800 in Class A mode with the Mofi Stained Class spinning on the YP-D4 (AT150MLX cart) and hearing some really nice detail. Brings out a little more guitar buzz in "Beyond the Realms...".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.