Mobile Fidelity Judas Priest Numbered Limited Edition LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 808_state, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Need to order these. Nothing on Amazon CA yet and shipping/exchange from US is a pain. :(

2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Are MOFI Silver Labels 180 gram? I just got my copy of Killing Machine and it sure looks and feels heavier than standard weight vinyl.

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yes they are. I bought Dylan/The Band Before The Flood Monday and it is a Silver MOFI.

Coricama likes this.
  4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thanks, I couldn't find the weight mentioned on MOFI's site or in any of the online record store's descriptions. Most of the time they make sure you know if it's 180 or 200 gram.

5. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

No they are not. I'm guessing 150? But maybe 120.

This is not a Silver Series release. This release is 180 gram - as it is part of their higher end "master release" series - yet this particular release is not a "master release." All Silver Series releases have a silver banner at the top.

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Before the Flood is not a Silver Mofi issue, so it is on 180 gram vinyl. It may not have the Original Master header, but is a Standard Mofi release (1/2 speed mastered using Gain2 process, etc)

Mofi Silver label, which the Judas Priest issues are usually are "standard weight" 150 gram vinyl, but they do tend to feel heavier. I believe Silver label issues use the Mofi mastering equipment, but might not use the same mastering methods.

7. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thanks Mike.

8. apple-richard

I'll check my local shortly and take a pic.

nmp69 likes this.
  9. apple-richard

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Brudy likes this.
  10. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中 Thread Starter

Short of weighing one I'd put them right between the slim records of the 80's and the current 180 gram slabs. They are fairly stiff and don't flex a whole lot. They are also relatively quiet and flat so I'd say RTI did a great job. I did notice what appeared to be "non-fill/string of pearls" in a couple of places but it had no effect on sound quality so that's why I didn't note it above.

I am going to repeat my plea to the world for Painkiller, I have two clean copies and both have surface noise..somebody competent (RTI, Pallas, Furnace, MOV, Mofi etc.) please repress them with the original mastering!

11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I'm curious as to why they closed out side one with Burnin' Up on Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather? I'm used to that tune opening up side two.

12. 808_state

I suppose it really is HBFL posing as Killing Machine but I for one am happy they included the Manalishi. Kicking Burnin' Up back to side A could have been due to the tape(s) used or they may have just felt that doing so resulted in better stampers. I would really like more info about the mastering and tapes/files used for these. I'd even settle for a five minute video.

aroney likes this.
  13. 2.1Channels

2.1Channels Forum Resident

Good morning everyone,

According to MFSL's Facebook page, even the Silver Series LP's are sourced mostly from the original analog mixdown tapes, and titles that were originally mixed in analog, are mastered from analog tape. Supposedly, only the titles that originated from digital masters are actually taken from digital file/tape sources(ie INXS 1980's titles etc.)

The HBFL/Killing Machine difference shouldn't really matter, as SH used the original tapes for the Audio Fidelity CD, including 'Green Manalishi' complete with the uneditied count in at the beginning. Hopefully they used the same tapes for this LP. Still waiting patiently for it to arrive, along with the other 2 Priest titles.

I would imagine they spliced 'Burning Up' at the end of the side A reel, and 'Green Manalishi' onto the side B reel, for a more consistent cutting for both sides.

808_state likes this.
  14. ocotes

ocotes Forum Resident

This new Killing Machine with Green Manalishi starting B-side :
    Has the unedited count in the beginning?

15. 2.1Channels

2.1Channels Forum Resident

You may want to ask Apple-Richard, he obviously has it in his possession...We can only hope!

16. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I went ahead and weighed mine for you guys that are interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

808_state and ocotes like this.
  17. ocotes

ocotes Forum Resident

Thanks a lot!
    Could you be so kind in telling us if this new Killing Machine with Green Manalishi starting B-side :
    Has the unedited count in the beginning?

18. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

There is no count at the beginning of Green Manalishi.

ocotes likes this.
  19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I would love MF cd versions of Stained and Screaming.

Sox68, High Fly and Redearth like this.
  20. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Got my Mofi Judas Priest Vinyls yesterday!
    Stained Class is very good IMO !
    Screaming for Vengeance is also a nice sounding Vinyl of a very good Metal album!
    Killing Machine is not opened yet......

808_state, RelayerNJ and Sox68 like this.
  21. 808_state

Congratulations! I think you are really going to enjoy all three, I think Killing Machine is my favorite. That being said, if you come across an (inexpensive) clean US copy of Screaming for Vengeance, grab it and crank it up!

kingofstoneage likes this.
  22. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Just opened my Killing Machine MOFI Vinyl!
    I like it very much!
    Way better than the latest remasters, maybe better than the AF Gold CD.....

808_state likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have "Screaming for Vengence" on MOFI. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it sounds good to me. Nice flat quiet vinyl too!

808_state likes this.
  24. 808_state

I absolutely hope they do more. These are reissues done right and other companies should either take note or just get out of the business.

25. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Wow, I would love to have them do Rock a Rolla , Sad Wings and Sin after Sin

Todd68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.