Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs SACDs you like...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Isaac Hayes HOT BUTTERED SOUL
    Earth, Wind, & Fire THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD

fenderesq likes this.
  2. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Hmmm...thats interesting....Why wouldnt the SACD inherently have better bass...low bass is VERY easy to do loud on CD or SACD...do you think its an entirely different mix, its that different, or is this a minor difference? Or something attributable to your vinyl set up??:confused:

3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

:righton: Yup. It sounds like you're in the studio with them. I love it.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Dunno. Usually my vinyl and CD counterparts with the same mastering sound identical.

The mixes are the same it's just different approaches to the mastering I guess. Did Shawn do both or did Stan do the vinyl?

5. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Well, the CD layer is a vast improvement over the old version, so I imagine the Super Audio layer must be pretty impressive. I really didn't think this one could improve upon the original, either - I thought it sounded nice to begin with and was STUNNED at how great it sounded. I really need to get an SACD player to get the full effect here soon.

6. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the MFSL SACD of THE BYRDS- "Mr. Tambourine Man", the mono mix of that classic album. It was mastered by Shawn R. Britton in 2005, on the new MFSL 'Gain 2 system'.

While I'm not a huge fan of the original mono mixes by Terry Melcher of MTM- I prefer the original stereo 1A vinyl, or the original Columbia cd (CK 9172)- it's nice to have an alternative. IMO, the best-sounding mono mixes from that great album are "Mr. Tambourine Man", "We'll Meet Again," "All I Really Want To Do," "You Won't Have To Cry," and "It's No Use." Of those, the only clear winners for me are the first two songs mentioned- especially "We'll Meet Again," which just slays the anemic stereo mix. Too often though, it's the other way around. ( for more on this, see http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=97339 ).

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I have the Mr. Tambourine Man and it is very good.

I picked up the Blood, Sweat & Tears s/t sacd today from jazzlistener.

8. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Milt Jackson Sextet - Invitation and Sonny Rollins - Plus Four deserve to be mentioned as well. Considering the age of these recordings (1962 and 1957), I think Mofi did a great job. I especially love the way Milt Jackon's vibes just float above the music.

Art Pepper is next on my list. I am glad to see that Mofi continues releasing SACD's.

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My top 3
    They only come out at Night
    Hot Buttered Soul
    That's the Way of the World

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Do you have the Sony SACD? I'm curious which one is better. I have a feeling the MoFi will be slightly nicer without the harder edge of the Sony.

11. LeeS

I do have the Sony version as well. The Mofi is smoother.

12. Coleman Hawkins
    Holst

Both excellent. :righton:

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

These are all Mofi SCAD's?:confused:

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Yes.

15. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Although the overall sound of the Byrds mono Notorious Byrds Brothers is compressed, I think MoFi did a pretty good job with it.

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I must have missed Mofi's release of Miles Davis. Do you have a catalog number for me?

17. proust78

proust78 Forum Resident

UDSACD 2019 (released in 2003)

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

How many other Miles SACD's were there?

19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Woops...it's...umm...sitting here on my shelf.

I am an idiot...

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It's not unusual for us...possibly. :winkgrin:

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Well then I'm an idiot too because I can't count the number of times I've heard a great song in a record store (or on the radio), ask what it is, then sheepishly have to admit "oh....I already own this".

Or the many times I've bought duplicate CD without realizing.

How does it compare to the DCC?

22. LeeS

I have Steamin and it is very good but I don't know how it stacks up against the DCC since I don't have that. I also like the Soultrane and a little less so the Sonny Rollins Plus 4.

23. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Soultrane is excellent as is Surfer Rosa, i like the art pepper SACD but the sound staging could be better, it feels as if everything is coming from the left and right and nothing from the centre. I just ordered steamin' (only 30 bucks :D) so hopefully that will be a good one.

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes! :righton:

Hot Buttered Soul sounds great, as do both MOFI Pixies SACDs. Ryan Adams's Heartbreaker is another gem.

Ones that are a bit of a mixed bag--Aimee Mann Batchelor No. 2, because you can really hear the difference between the home studio songs and the ones recorded in a real studio with a band.

The Notorious Byrd Brothers--the stereo redbook CD sounds much better on my system than the mono SACD. I'm keeping it for collectors' value, though.

25. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Another thumbs up for Ryan Adams Heartbreaker on SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.