Modwright Sony XA5400ES SACD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Peter Harrar, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm surprised by your experience with the SA-11S1, as it runs counter to many reviews I've read.

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Marantz players have a soft and somewhat rolled off sound on the top to my ears-smooth but at the expense of accuracy. The Sony 5400 seems more detailed and dynamic.

3. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

For me, it's been one of those cases where you think it sounds great for a while, then realize that other sources you're using are trumping it. I run it balanced into a Classe' CP-60 preamp, Classe' 'Ten' poweramp, and B&W 805's. For instance, I put in a Squeezebox Duet and Receiver, playing Apple Lossless rips into the same system, and find it has much better microdynamics and air than the much more costly Marantz.

4. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member Thread Starter

Personal preference, I suppose. The solid state SACD players I've had, like the Sony 777ES, have sounded a bit overetched to me. (Those earbleed Dylan harmonica solos, for example.) Tube SACD players that I've had have been less fatiguing and have that midrange breath of life quality (at least my Modwright 3910 does). Plus, I already have a solid state Redbook/DVD-A player I really like (the Classe 202), so I want a choice of sound palettes for different types of music. (I long ago gave up on the one-box solution.)

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

As a person who has owned a Marantz SA-11S2 and now owns a SCD-5400ES these are two distinctly different players. I never thought the Marantz was lifeless but it was overly romantic sounding, the same way that Grado cartridges are, which surprises me that LeeS doesn't prefer the Marantz since his personal taste runs to a liquid midrange.

I'm sure that a Modwright tube output stage would probably provide some of the refinement in smoothness that the Sony lacks when compared the megabuck players.

My gripe is with the longevity of Sony transports, the unit comes with a 3 year warranty which would be immediately voided. The Modwight preamp for is a fine preamp for the money but world class at least in my opinion it’s not, so why would adding a tube output stage suddenly transform Sony?

robargebl likes this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Possibly it's the removal of the Sony output stage that could provide the transformation.

7. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

How does your 5400ES compare to your Wadia 581, sonically speaking? I suppose the build quality is different.

8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I find Allen Wright's mods much more interesting though I have heard neither. Fix the problems early on and not in the output stage. Or, perhaps fix both. (not that there are any problems with this new player)

Also, it would seem that if one is going to mod a new player, one might as well examine the used market. Therefore, a person could look at players even in the $5K to $6K realm. Might get different build quality as well.

I would hope that players above $3K wouldn't have the etch that is spoken of by Peter.

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While the 5400 is excellent at detail resolution and has superb bass extension, the Wadia is several steps up the ladder, as it should be at 8 times the price. Listening to a CD through the Wadia it significantly closes the gap between CD and Hi-Rez.

The Wadia retrieves the subtlies that are normally found in great analog. Air, depth and smoothness are present. Again while the 5400 is a great player even compared to players in the $4k-$5k territory at no time does it come close to the best that analog has to offer.

10. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Thanks very much for the perspective. Normally a vinyl listener when I'm not in my car, I'm looking at digital solution and subscribing to the AP Blue Note and Impulse SACDs (if they will ever make them).

11. yenyen

yenyen Forum Resident

I have had the Marantz SA11S2 and the new Ayre CX7eMP in the house at the same time, and I'm returning the Ayre for a restocking fee penalty because, to our ears, it has a rather crude and rambunctious sound signature compared to the Marantz. I'm not sure that the new Minimum Phase filters are such a cool idea in the Ayres. There is a flatness or unidimensional-ness to the sound. Our opinion does, however, run counter to the opinions of many others.

Would love to know how the Sony fits into this picture.

12. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

I've got a 5400 on order; after it arrives and I've played with it a while I may be interested in mods.

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I have always questioned the wisdom of spending 2k for an upgrade with no chance to demo unless you know someone. However, recently while selling my old SONY DVD-s9000ES DVD/CD player (which was hardly used and a great deal) I noticed a Modwright s9000ES for sale under a grand (Audiogon). Because I have another pristine s9000ES, I went for it. The players CD playback floored me. This mod has the tube stage and outboard supply.

About 3 years ago I bought a Musical Fidelity A5 (tube output) after an in-house demo with it against the Marantz 11s1. I have always liked this player but it was still a far cry from my vinyl rig. The modwright CD playback is much closer to vinyl and way better than the MF player. The MF player cost me 2500 and it doesn't play SACDs. This is about as no-brainer as it gets. I sold my MF player and put cash in my pocket.

I would imagine that a modded XA9000ES or the new one would be substantially better than the s9000ES although that one is built like a tank.

So I understand ones reluctance to fork over 2k for a mod without a demo, but if you can arrange a demo I'm VERY sure that you will change your tune.

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

For interested UK members, I wonder if there is anyone modding SACD players here?

Simon :)

15. ducatirider

ducatirider Member

Question: Does the XA5400ES player have digital inputs? I'm thinking about PC audio and possibly using this as a DAC.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

No inputs, it can't be used as a DAC

17. ducatirider

ducatirider Member

doh! i was looking for the one do-it-all player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.