MOFI Miles Davis Vinyl Remasters discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cassius, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Whatever you say, pal. But I recommend you listen to this one on a good system before making the categorical determination that the bass is "bloated" or ill defined.

In my opinion, those who have good systems deserve to hear the opinion of someone with comparable gear in order not to be biased against this excellent pressing of a timeless recording. Enough said.

Six String and David Ellis like this.
  2. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Oh, I agree that every Music Matters version edition I have sounds better than original I have or heard. However, most of these haven't gone through as many remixes and masterings as KOB. With the latter, "life-like" becomes incredibly vague to debate, especially since it's not clear which mix we are supposed to judge or whether the mono or stereo is more "life-like." It's probably why many of us have too many damn copies of KOB.

rxcory and SteelyTom like this.
  3. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Well, considering I never said the bass was "bloated" or ill defined I guess I'll stick with my system for the time being.

Leonthepro likes this.
  4. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

My intention was not to refer to your characterizations, specifically, but those of several posters who have had complaints about the presentation of the bass.

5. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

It's a fair criticism though since this version does have more detail in terms of bass. I didn't like it myself the first few listens, but I think that's because it was too different from other versions in this regard. I don't mind it now though. I'm not sure it's more accurate or realistic in terms of the original intent since we are dealing with a remix after all.

Still, my preference for KOB is in mono which I would have loved MOFI to do instead of another stereo version.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Unless one is using a Harmon mute, and then it is very easy to do. I do think that is what Miles was going for in certain passages and succeeded brilliantly.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Good lord. o_O

Some of the back'n'forth here is just ridiculous.

8. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

How about them Yankees? :-popcorn:

9. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Fair enough. I'll need to give this one some more time to sink in, and then I can begin to consider it in light of the original 6 eye mono, which is very different.

But, at the risk of repeating myself, I can say definitely that this new pressing sounds the most like live music of any Kind of Blue pressing I have heard. And the characteristics of the bass presentation do not diminish this impression, but heighten it.

gr8trak, fuhrsy31 and This Heat like this.
  10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Don't you mean which one of The Beatles would Miles Davis be?

11. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Now there's some good news….

ssmith3046 and Bobsblkwax like this.
  12. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Thanks for that - not hearing any big difference comparing to the CD from 2009.

I listened to my Classic Records vinyl yesterday - sublime.
    BG did a great job.

13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I do have a new found love of mono since I got a couple of the Stereo/Mono switches here on the forum, so I too would love to see a MOFI MONO. But I am totally stoked about the 45rpm MOFI and do think its the best version I've heard or have. I have the Legacy MONO and do really like it, but it doesn't stand up to the MOFI 45rpm IMHO. I also have the Classic 200gm 33.3 and it comes in third, IMO.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I don't get this? Are you comparing a needle drop of a 45rpm LP converted to a digital file to a CD and saying there isn't much difference between the sound of the 45rpm LP and the CD? Or are you saying there isn't much difference in the AIFF digital file and the CD? Or have I only confused myself?

15. alanb

alanb Senior Member

i am saying i listened to the posters needle drop and compared it to the CD - i know it's not the greatest, but still i am not hearing any substantial difference with these and certainly not more bass.

16. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

IMO some people are using the word "more" bass to describe "better" bass. Again, IMHO that is just a good way to describe the MOFI 45 in every respect, its just BETTER.

SergioRZ likes this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I would say my system is highly-resolving, very neutral and reproduces bass extremely well.

The bass on this version is rather more forward and defined than others I have (Classic Records 33 and Sony mono), maybe even a little too much. However –IMHO – it's not bloated, boomy or ill-defined. I can understand where others would think it is, particularly if they have a subwoofer that isn't setup correctly (often the case) or if response is otherwise not well-balanced. This is a pressing that really needs a system to be setup right.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think it was a better recorded album than most of those Blue Notes

19. action pact

I've never been crazy about 'the Blue Note sound' as realized by RVG (although the music is undeniably terrific).

smctigue and Tommyboy like this.
  20. action pact

You and I are hearing the same thing.

I was listening to it again last night, after long day at work, and I was admittedly pretty fatigued. I started thinking, "Hmm, maybe it does sound a bit muddy and rolled off on the top." So I pulled out my 6-eye copy for reference and gave it a brief spin, and you know what? The new MOFI has very similar coloration. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they based their mastering moves on an original pressing.

mikeyt likes this.
  21. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    captainsolo likes this.
  22. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

My copy arrived yesterday and I played it through twice. While it didn't blow me away with any new revelations it is a beautiful representation of this classic album. I do not hear any bloated bass on my system, there seems to be more finely defined bass and I can hear the room very well. The horns sound very nice and stereo separation is great.

I agree with someone who posted earlier that this album has been reissued so many times and many of them sound excellent so this is not the huge jump in quality for many people. For me it is not nearly the jump in quality that Sorcerer and Nefertiti were but I am glad I have it and it will be my go to stereo copy going forward.

MisterBritt and action pact like this.
  23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Am I the only one who misses the point of trying to compare analog LP's from digital files?

Josquin des Prez and SergioRZ like this.
  24. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

It's not an absolute comparison, it's just to "catch" the major differences, I think it helps...

Of course it is no substitute for real playing of the actual LP's :)

mikeyt, FashionBoy and timztunz like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Etched and trebly are not the best of terms in this case, youre right. Having stated that, my point was to simply say we have to be careful what we are biased in hearing and take into considerations sound characteristics when comparing one album to another. Sorry for the hyperbole.

I will stand my my statement though that if I were comparing the mfsl to any version Id most likely go with the one that seems most balanced and nuetral. Which, for me, is a 70s pressing.

FashionBoy likes this.